garmin 305 edge

hagar

ML ok I have now downloaded the trial how do I try the thing out how do i open it up with the mapsource ?

The demo downloads are .exe files.

Run by double clicking which will start the installer.

If you have MapSource installed, the demo will be added as another map product in MapSource.

Open MapSource and select the demo map from the drop down list (if it is not selected automaticly).

Note that AfricaTopo does not have any roads etc. It is intened for use on a map capable GPS with another map that includes this info. Without roads and towns, orientation can be difficult on the PC.

Also see the AfricaTopo FAQ

http://madmappers.com/AfricaTopo/AfricaTopo_FAQ.htm#FAQ

mountain_lion2007-08-02 07:24:31

Mtn Lion is correct as usual with respect to

* Mapsource not being free per se. It's free if you already have a Garmin mapping product. I gather it's being bundled with current Garmins.

* Mapsource not being able to produce profiles from ROUTES but only from pre-recorded TRACKS (in SA, at any rate).

* The Africa Topo map being designed more for a map-capable GPS. Agreed, but it's still useful in Mapsource. Once you have a route, select Africa Topo as your map background; with even a rudimentary knowledge of contours you can "read" your route profile. If you want, create some waypoints for towns, landmarks, etc so that they show up along with your route, for context, when you have selected Africa Topo.

By the way, Hagar, note that in Sporttracks you can view your track on

1. Satellite pic

2. Google streets

3. your own custom map.

pbp20072007-08-02 07:32:51

Mountain Lion is waaaay too modest. I bought the full 1:50 000 topo series on special offer when it first came out and believe me' date=' even at the regular price it's a steal.

Konafan: thanks for the file size correction. What DO they put in this software? My first PC had a 20 MB hard drive... and I've still got my TRS-80 with a massive 32 kb of RAM.

[/quote']

Thanks php2007 EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

My first computer (not PC) had 8kb RAM and used an audio tape to store data...

Then had PC with 2 floppy drives; and finaly in the late 80s I got my XT PC complete with 20MB hard drive (later upgrade to 40MB) Thumbs%20Up

Since then software got bloated in size without adding major functionality...

By the way' date=' Hagar, note that in Sporttracks you can view your track on

1. Satellite pic

2. Google streets

3. your own custom map.

[/quote']

or if you have reasonably fast internet connection, download and install Google Earth.

Open your data in MapSource and select 'view in Google Earth'...