Springboks in Majik

marcelloman

Saw these casually strolling in Majik this morning. Sorry for the poor pic quality, had the "cycle phone" with me. Just made me realise again how priviledged we are with our surrounding mtb trails.

post-13349-074312600 1277659978.jpg

post-13349-044380700 1277660035.jpg

i've got a solution for them: there is apparently wild cats on signal hill. i saw a 'cub' the other day. the ears reminded me a lynx. I kid u not. and again, no damn camera :(

Guest Big H

Fortunately there are no sheep there as then the Aussies would also have been there!!!!!!! ....... watch out for the All Blacks as they may pull a Haka on you!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately there are no sheep there as then the Aussies would also have been there!!!!!!! ....... watch out for the All Blacks as they may pull a Haka on you!!!!!!!!!

in daardie geval.. HKGK

:P

oh, this is exactly what i saw on signal hill...

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/13/e9/45/plettenberg-bay.jpg

Also came across a herd of bokkies at Groenkloof on Sat, except there are quite tame there, and casually moved off the path.

Guest Big H

I did a project in Tanzania at Kilombero, a sugar mill operated by Illovo. I regularly saw Hippo next to the Great Ruaha River which ran through the estate. On occasions I saw Buffalo and Elephant that grazed in the sugarcane . They strayed from the world famous Selous Game Reserve that shared boundaries with the sugar estate.

One day when out cycling I saw a large dog crossing the road quite a distance off. When I reached the spot I slowed down to see if I could not see the dog. Three days later a very old and decimated lioness was shot in the same area trying to steal some pigs that belonged to locals.

Shivers down my spine time!!!!!!!!!!

these springboks in majik....is truly MAGIC...thanks for sharing and ja you're right, we do have some excellent trails and mtb rides...lol

Two mates have seen a rooikat on seperate occasions in Majik, I have also seen a rooikat on Meerendal. Brilliant.

Saw a male lynx 8m away from me about a week ago. Not far from your pics, along the single track bouncy section just after coming down Everest Hill/what ever its called.

It was an overcast morning with not many people on the track. Lots of these striped field mice. Anyway i saw this movement as i was coming down the hill and thought it was a small bokkie(not a honey), so i stopped. It was so close that i immediately realized it was a lynx, and male. At first I was a little frightened because it was staring at me after the screeching of my breaks. But then it just carried on hunting between the fynbos. It flicked it's tale just like a domestic cat does when hunting. Then after a while, it just moved off looking for prey behind other bushes around. All the while not even giving me another look.

Just like you, one feel's so privliged. We need to protect these place.

maybe it's the same kitty. they can very easily travel along table mountain range over tolions head and then onto signal hill. saw a deer once on signal hill as well. a doe to be precise.. very very unusual to see large wildlife on SH. besides the 2leggers of course.