Topic Search Function

Vuilgoed

Is it just me, or does the forum search function not work so lekker?

I have tried a few rudamentary searches and none of them come up with any hits...

• 5 months later...

Admin, I think we need to look at this again since the upgrade it's gone backwards. In the days of google, the hub search is more like Bing

I would suggest that the 'quick search" which has a default of "forums" searches for the word in both the Thread Subject line and in the Text of the threads. This would return matches ranked on date with most recent coming in first or maybe choose to highlight the threads where the search term was in the Topic first.

Currently it relies on people to name their threads correctly, which is asking too much :D

Also, once in the thread it defaults to "this topic", I find that irritating, as I hardly ever use this and would rather have the global search as a default.

I only bring it up because of a few duplicate posts on the (justifiably classic) paint in car crash topic, thing is the search function would only have found all the posts using the advanced search, which is a mission.

thats my thoughts, use it/don't use it.

Admin, I think we need to look at this again since the upgrade it's gone backwards. In the days of google, the hub search is more like Bing

I would suggest that the 'quick search" which has a default of "forums" searches for the word in both the Thread Subject line and in the Text of the threads. This would return matches ranked on date with most recent coming in first or maybe choose to highlight the threads where the search term was in the Topic first.

Currently it relies on people to name their threads correctly, which is asking too much :D

Also, once in the thread it defaults to "this topic", I find that irritating, as I hardly ever use this and would rather have the global search as a default.

I only bring it up because of a few duplicate posts on the (justifiably classic) paint in car crash topic, thing is the search function would only have found all the posts using the advanced search, which is a mission.

thats my thoughts, use it/don't use it.

We did make a few improvements after Vuilgoed's (and a few others' comments). So the search is far more accurate and much quicker than when we first upgraded.

However, as you've quite rightly said the quick search currently works only on topic titles. I'll switch it over to search post content and titles as you've suggested and we can see how Hubbers like it.

As for the context relevance (e.g. "Search This Topic") - I'll look into what the options are to adjust this.

Thanks for the suggestions.