Anyone else nearly break their neck at Nissan Diamond rush?

manbearpig

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to a bunch of people afterward, and seems the general consesus among the slightly more experienced riders are that it was a fantastic route, apart from the shocking mine dump (I really tried to ride up there but just no chance) the route was tough but ridable.

I must say that thinking of the general weekend rider/backmarker that route must have been aweful. I very happy my wife (have done two races), did not do this route, would have broken her neck. It probably is good that one or two of the half-marathon routes in the calendar pushes the okes a bit, but these must come with a stern warning beforehand (or did I miss it).

I also had a blast during this race the only problem was my bloody alergies. The rest was brilliant. And the people at the water table up the hill providing some comedy by asking the people "water, Coke or Thank You" after the hill everyone just said Thank You. :lol: And loved thos technicall downhills. Will be back for this one.

Hi Fritz, thank you for acknowledging my b!tching session. I appreciate the problems that must come with organising a big event like this and your total control is limited to the people that are employed to assist. Obviously our sport has an element of danger, it was just the elements and nature surrounding my particular fall the made my blood boil as I was concentrating more on making sure my handle bars didn't clip the gate than staring up in the sky looking for a wayward baseball bat. The shade from the hut kept the cross beam from obvious view and as you can imagine I was in a bit of a hurry. Other than that I accept that the farmer is a **** and that sh!t happens when pipes burst. My helmet although new is not a write off, my glasses are cheap, the teeth marks in my tongue have healed, chicks dig the scab on my forehead and I've got full medical aid. So as "compensation" I guess you can move my seeding from C to B so then I don't have to try kill myself chasing down my mates in B. Race number is 1275 ;) MBP out

Under these special circumstances SASeeding will gladly seed you in Group B for Nissan #4 Down & Dirty. It will be up to you to keep a B Seeding after that. See you there!

Good response from Fritz, SASeeding and MBP at the end. Well done!!!

Looking forward to next year's Cullinan Race, by far my favourite to date. (okay, only been in the game for 12 months, but still)

Good response from Fritz, SASeeding and MBP at the end. Well done!!!

Looking forward to next year's Cullinan Race, by far my favourite to date. (okay, only been in the game for 12 months, but still)

As newbies (1 year) and only 8 previous races..94.7, Argus, Babbas Lodge, Lion Man etc. our family of 4 entered Diamond Rush in good faith. We had great outings in all our previous races. I searched the web for any mention of technical..nothing. Unfortunately 3 of us came off our bikes. How is that for amazing coincidence. I did not enjoy the pain of the past 10 days, time off the bike and the pending R33,000 AC shoulder joint repair.

All we required was a simple something like: "Rated 4" or "Not for beginners" or "for the technically adept"

I have to agree with Leeu52, it would be good to have some sort of rating system in place for the technicality of the ride. It would mostly help the new riders and less experienced riders ... but what is the sport without a healthy number of new participants constantly streaming in ?

Any one know of systems used elsewhere ?

As newbies (1 year) and only 8 previous races..94.7, Argus, Babbas Lodge, Lion Man etc. our family of 4 entered Diamond Rush in good faith. We had great outings in all our previous races. I searched the web for any mention of technical..nothing. Unfortunately 3 of us came off our bikes. How is that for amazing coincidence. I did not enjoy the pain of the past 10 days, time off the bike and the pending R33,000 AC shoulder joint repair.

All we required was a simple something like: "Rated 4" or "Not for beginners" or "for the technically adept"

Hi Leeu, a newbie myself. Rumor has it you became a real mountain biker! :blink:

Sorry about the shoulder!!!

What's the deal with Babaas Lodge ? They seem to have MTB events every couple of weeks ? How's that work ?

Here is a copy of the 40 km description on the website: "The 40 km route will have short sections of single track that flows into and out of jeep track. 80% will be jeep track and gravel roads, along ridges and ravines. Bring your family along and make them all experience the excitement of mountain biking!"

What's the deal with Babaas Lodge ? They seem to have MTB events every couple of weeks ? How's that work ?

Sover ek dit het is dit 10 races in 12 maande. Babbas is die perfekte training ground!

Guest agteros

Does anybody have a picture of the apparent ystervarkgat on the 40km mark (somewhere just before the 16km mark)? I went into(not through) it unseen, somersaulted, did a seated landing looking down the track in the direction I was travelling with my bike somewhere ahead of me... Gathered my wits, picked up the bike and carried on after telling everybody that I think I'm OK - which I apparently wasn't, as I needed assistance to get my gloves and arm warmers off for the walk up the mine dump laugh.gif

I've still not seen this hole in the ground (on one of the flattest sections of the route), and would LOVE to see the 'gat' that cracked my helmet, made me see my 'gat' ... and the doc, and the 3 nurses who did not know how to set up the sling for my arm, and the radiologist, and the sonar technician, and the rude, arrogant and sarcastic three timing orthopaedic surgeon who will never see me again, and the hole in my medical savings account.

I really would like to know what the unmarked hole in the grass looks like that is keeping me away from running and cycling at the moment....! Anybody? perhaps a description if no picture available?

Got to say that the sewerage was really poor form. I smelled it going out and it was a lot worse coming back, it was a manhole cover that was spewing huge sewerage up the road a bit.

I rode back with all of my club mates and we all smelt very ripe at the finish. I had no change of clothes so drove home in my smelly bib shorts.

Man that was grim!

I would be surprised if someone did not get sick from that. Sies!!!

and the rude, arrogant and sarcastic three timing orthopaedic surgeon who will never see me again, and the hole in my medical savings account.

Is there another type of orth. surgeon?