Hijacking in Fountains - Groenkloof?

Dibles

This is from the CycleLab newsletter:

"There was a hijacking at Fountains – Groenkloof this weekend. Please be aware not to cycle alone! There were 3 riders who were attacked by 2 men, wanting their cell phones and money. Please be extremely careful in that area!!"

Does anyone have any further info on this?

This sucks.

Actually it's an outrage.

What can we do to stop this becoming a regular occurrence?

Fountains and Groenkloof are where I do the bulk of my training because there are no cars trying to knock you over and it's a access controlled "safe" area.

I'm shocked and outraged. This is unacceptable!

Entry fees are up too...

This sucks.

Actually it's an outrage.

What can we do to stop this becoming a regular occurrence?

Fountains and Groenkloof are where I do the bulk of my training because there are no cars trying to knock you over and it's a access controlled "safe" area.

I'm shocked and outraged. This is unacceptable!

Entry fees are up too...

DId it perhaps happen to cyclists passing BY Groenies on their way to Fountains? Surely this did not happen INSIDE our sacred place??

Is it Groenkloof or Fountains ? - big difference - either way this sucks big time

That's what I'm trying to find out.

I have been riding at Groenkloof for over 15 years now and most of the time I ride there on my own. This is the first "Groenkloof" incident I have heard of.

Very sad to hear. When I rode there last summer, I thought that anyone can easily hide and get away in the tall grass in that singletrack section towards the western border... what to do is the question...

Sounds suspect. If, and it is a very big IF, it really happened I would bet on one of the following scenarios:

a) This happened outside the actually fenced area (Christina or Eeufees)

B) It happened in the Fountains side where the Gautrain construction is taking place.

Did somebody approach CL about this? If they have this in their newsletter then surely they must have details?

Okay, fountains is always a bit of a risk, especially near the gautrain. To cycle there takes guts and a semi automatic firearm. At least groenies and monument are still safe

Went and cycled at fountains valley on Monday and you could definitely get mugged there, there were a lot of construction workers on the left side where the guatrain construction is. I almost smashed into a blue mercedes benz that was parked on a single track with two people in the back and cloths hanging over the front seats. Was not fun having to pick my bike up and walk around them going into the bush.

So I think if there was an attack it would have been ether outside or maybe fountains valley but I highly doubt that it would have happened in the reserve. Groenkloof has pretty high fences that are maintained because of the animals and I have never had a problem there nor have I seen any one doggy walking around besides cyclists, workers and hikers.

• 1 month later...

That's just not on, it's tragic when we can't even ride our bikes without these kinds of things happening. Would appreciate full details if anyone can find them as I also ride a Groenies often. :angry: