Bontrager vs Zipp

ebeinart

Well, if you will be using the wheels for triathlon, the 808 rim on the Zipp 606 rear wheel is 81mm deep, compared to the 65mm on the Bontrager. The front 404 rim is a tad shallower (58mm) than the Bontrager front. The combination of a deeper rim in the back and a shallower in the front should improve the steering stability of the bike, and the aerodynamics will probably be superior as well.

As for the dimples as sales gimmick - they seem to make a very small difference in the wind tunnel. It is unlikely that anyone will be able to notice the difference on the road, but if a fraction of a second matters, they may just help.

I had a similar experience with a Bontrager wheel, the hub on Race X lite broke, took it to the Trek folks and replaced it with a brand new one.

Big thumbs up to the guys at Just Fun Cycles.

I would not judge Trek/Bontragers local service based on the service you might get from the dealers...

Buy the Bontragers from 101% AKA - at 12k, its for free. Would have considered them for my bike if it didn't break on me.

Zipps have tose cool looking (dont know hom much faster ) dimples...

Have to agree with you' date=' I've heard that those dimples on the Zipps is proppably one of the bigest sales gimmics ever.....Confused But I have a set of 404 (without the dimples) and I absolutely LOVE THEM, Nicest wheels I've ever ridin.....
Will have to see how the Mavic SL on the new baby compares to the Zipps
[/quote']

Comparing SL's to Zipps is like comparing a City Golf to New GTI. There is no comparison. SL's are good but 404's are great.