Maintenanceon high end racing wheels

Wrigs

Recently picked up a set of Bora Ultimates.

Was wondering whether these wheels require routine maintenance like the other parts of our road machines?

Ultimates or UItra??

My Bora Ultra wheels need no more maintenance than any other wheelset that i own. I dont ride then that often, as they are used purley for racing, so maintenance is minimal. But having said that every part of your bike requires routine maintenance, and wheels are no different. It really depends on how much they are used and in what conditions (wet etc) they are used.

If you have the ceramic bearings then could need slightly more maintenance, as i have heard the bearings dont last very long.

Just ride and enjoy the wheels. If they feel rough when spinning, or there is play in the hub, or a loose spoke then worry about them. But from my experience they are a very robust wheelset, and will last you a long time if you keep them clean and ride them on good roads.

Ultimates or UItra??

My Bora Ultra wheels need no more maintenance than any other wheelset that i own. I dont ride then that often, as they are used purley for racing, so maintenance is minimal. But having said that every part of your bike requires routine maintenance, and wheels are no different. It really depends on how much they are used and in what conditions (wet etc) they are used.

If you have the ceramic bearings then could need slightly more maintenance, as i have heard the bearings dont last very long.

Just ride and enjoy the wheels. If they feel rough when spinning, or there is play in the hub, or a loose spoke then worry about them. But from my experience they are a very robust wheelset, and will last you a long time if you keep them clean and ride them on good roads.

Hi Zaskar - thanks (Yes ultras)

How often do you use yours - racing only or training leading up to a race as well?

And if you have tubbies - do you hope for the best in a race or would you try and repair it on the road with glue etc....

As Zaskar said, everything on a bike requires maintenance if you want it to last. I have a set of Zipp tubulars that I use only for racing. I don't do anything specific for them them that I don't do on my normal wheels. I'll wash them every couple of hundred kilometres and give them a quick spin while holding them to check the bearings. I'll also do a visual inspection to make sure there're no cracks or anything. Finally, when I put them in the bike I give them a quick spin to make sure they running true. Every 5,000km / one a year I'll disassemble the hubs to thoroughly check and grease the bearings.

You can put sealant in your tubular tyres, but I'm no longer convinced that this stuff really works with road tyre pressures. I've had a number of clincher punctures while using road-specific sealant and all it did was make a mess. You cannot repair a tubular tyre without un-sewing it and sewing back up again - not something you can do quickly at the side of the road. If you get a puncture you either need a support car with a spare wheel (only allowed in licensed bunches?) or you need to carry a spare tyre that has been pre-stretched and glued. I've found it takes me roughly the same amount of time to fix a clincher puncture as it does to replace a tubular tyre.

My feeling is that if I puncture in a typical 100km Gauteng race, by the time I've stopped and dealt with the puncture I will have lost enough time on the bunch that it's unlikely I'll catch them again and my race will be over. There's usually a sweep vehicle and if not, I have plenty of friends and family who can pick me up. There are enough other races around that it's not a train smash if I don't finish. On these races I won't bother with a spare.

On a longer race or a stage race (e.g. Panorama Tour or Kremetart) where it's a once-off event, finishing time rather than position is important or there's a chance the time can be made up later on or on subsequent stages then I'll carry a spare tyre.

Guys, took a closer look at my Bora Ultras today and they have a slight wobble when I spin them - any recommendations as to where I should take them to be serviced? I am near Rosebank in Jhb.

As Zaskar said, everything on a bike requires maintenance if you want it to last. I have a set of Zipp tubulars that I use only for racing. I don't do anything specific for them them that I don't do on my normal wheels. I'll wash them every couple of hundred kilometres and give them a quick spin while holding them to check the bearings. I'll also do a visual inspection to make sure there're no cracks or anything. Finally, when I put them in the bike I give them a quick spin to make sure they running true. Every 5,000km / one a year I'll disassemble the hubs to thoroughly check and grease the bearings.

You can put sealant in your tubular tyres, but I'm no longer convinced that this stuff really works with road tyre pressures. I've had a number of clincher punctures while using road-specific sealant and all it did was make a mess. You cannot repair a tubular tyre without un-sewing it and sewing back up again - not something you can do quickly at the side of the road. If you get a puncture you either need a support car with a spare wheel (only allowed in licensed bunches?) or you need to carry a spare tyre that has been pre-stretched and glued. I've found it takes me roughly the same amount of time to fix a clincher puncture as it does to replace a tubular tyre.

My feeling is that if I puncture in a typical 100km Gauteng race, by the time I've stopped and dealt with the puncture I will have lost enough time on the bunch that it's unlikely I'll catch them again and my race will be over. There's usually a sweep vehicle and if not, I have plenty of friends and family who can pick me up. There are enough other races around that it's not a train smash if I don't finish. On these races I won't bother with a spare.

On a longer race or a stage race (e.g. Panorama Tour or Kremetart) where it's a once-off event, finishing time rather than position is important or there's a chance the time can be made up later on or on subsequent stages then I'll carry a spare tyre.

I have to agree with Edman. If i get a puncture with my Bora's definately time to phone a friend and start to plan for the next race.