Chain Wear

Kriek

How acurate is this?

Tension the chain by pressing lightly on the right pedal. Hold a 12" ruler against the chain. On a fresh chain the distance of 12 full links, from pin to pin, is exactly 12". If 12 links on your chain measure 12 1/8" or more then it is time to replace your chain. If you replace your chain regularly, you will get decidedly longer life out our your chainrings and cassette cogs. Plus, you will have a quieter drivetrain with smoother shifting.

Totally inaccurate.

1/8th elongation approximates a 1% elongation. Chains and sprockets are designed to tolerate a maximum of 0.5% elongation before the chain starts to wear the sprocket.

Replace your chain when the elongation is 1/16th of an inch.

Freak - forget a bout a metric ruler. This is one place where converting doesn't work. It gets silly.

But like I said, do the search. For a comprehensive summary, search for "Everything You Need to Know about Bicycle Chains."

Freak - forget a bout a metric ruler. This is one place where converting doesn't work. It gets silly.

Inch rulers are much easier but if you absolutely have no choice but to use a mm ruler, then at least don't measure it directly. Get a scriber and make a mark at 305mm on the ruler (approximately unworn). Make another at about halfway between 306 and 307 (aiming for 306.3). Then use your marks to determine wear, rather than trying to eyeball it on the fly.

interesting reading thanks Johan.i thought my chain higien was good.washed chain every week with cleangreen and used a wax based lube.will definately get a new lube.from the reading, i take it that it is not nesessary to replace frontblades cause there is no skipping or sucking...