Incorrect Race Distance

Tony

How do you all feel about races not been the advertised distance?

I entered a race that was advertised as 100km, but when I went to pick up my entry was told it was 80km.

However it then turned out to be approx 85km.  Surely with modern technology it is not difficult to  determine the accurate distance and advertise it as such.

In a road event I think it is unacceptable but on MTB races it happens all the time . Mostly because of access to land etc bla bla bla .

And you had to send carrier pidgeons because there was no such thing as phones? Tongue

i live on the east rand in charlize's old town. we still don't have phones, but we've heard about themLOL? and out here, we don't use pigeons to carry stuff; we use then for .22 target practice

That never happens

Oh yeah, I did the Argus and they said it was 100km. At the end it was lmost 109.8km. I almost died that day.

I know which race you are talking about Tony.

The one that started at Lorraine Primary.

This was my first race and I was kind of reliefed when I heard it was only going to be 80km as the wind was terrible.

Also noticed on my cycle computer it was 84km.

Isn't the wind always terrible in your part of the world??!??

But you guys are correct it is pretty easier to get an exact distance - you can even use Google Earth and plot a route.  Even the Eastern Cape is on the map.

But no one complains when it's longer then advertised.

Notable exceptions:  2004 Tour De Vino:  40 km "short" route turned out to be 79 km (and it had Helshoogte 10 km before the finish)....many many many complaints!

2006 Stellenbosch MTB challenge:  At the start were were told the 30 km "medium" route would be "about 3km longer", turned out to be 44 km of mud, mud and more mud....I complained....I still do when I get the chance...Confused

They call PE the friendly city.

You get off the plane the wind tunes you f@ck off!

Yes the wind is terrible in PE, but on Saturday morning it was at it's worst.

Anyways at least I won a duvet worth R3000 in a draw so that makes up for the bad weather and the incorrect distance :-)