Paarl DH

loveme.DH/FR

Got a family thing on Sunday at the Taal Monument, I have SWAMBO's permission to do a run afterwards... some questions:

1. how long is the Late Harvest trail?

2. where does it end?

3. is it marked?

4. will a non-downhiller like me survive it on a hardtail?

Check out the youtube clip - it will give you an idea of how long the run is.

It comes out on the tar road that leads up to the Monument - just across the road as it curves round after the houses end.

It doesn't appear to be marked - but once you find it and are on it, it's pretty clear...

As for taking it on a hardtail - be careful!

Some of the big jumps are misleading, and you only realise how high the drop-off's are when you've already comitted...

It's first and foremost a DH track - so whereas there are berms and some nice flowing ST, there are big stuff that are clearly aimed for big air with bikes that have big springs!

I ride the Paarl DH tracks and single tracks on most Sunday early in the morning. Anybody's welcome to come and join - start at 6 (that way I miss the serious downhillers who only come out to play when the sun is high in the sky). I am by no means a skilled ST rider and ride a hardtail, but really love these trails. Once you know which way the chicken runs are you can really let rip. I find the routes varied with some technical bits and enough to keep you thinking.

What we do on Sundays is to loop the different tracks; up one, down another (and there are many). 4 loops is normally enough of a workout. This makes hill intervals fun and gives you something to look forward to at the end. (It takes the average rider 15 minutes to climb to the top.)