Weird : New Cycle Lane vs Otto du Plessis

flymango

Couldn't help but notice how a few cyclists are still content to tackle the traffic instead of using the new cycle lane from Paarden Island to Table View. Preference or ignorance?

Well, I don't know if it's like the new cycle lane in Observatory; strange alternating strips of tar and brick and other paving. All very designer .... but, on a road bike, it's like riding over cobblestones. My glasses shake so much, I get double vision.

New cycle lane @ Otto du Plessis works like a bomb, only short comming is the strech where the lamp posts are in the lane. Otherwise it is fantastic. :D

The lane is excellent, cars are no to close to you. I only use the lane from Tableview to the Padocks, but it looks all good going past Woodbridge and onwards.

The only down side, I have experienced once so far, is the guy riding with the pumping South Easter on his back and his turning that 53-12 and close to 60km/h and you riding into the south Easter gritting your teeth doing 20km/h it can become abit dangerous I think for a head on.

Any way only my experience and maybe I need to get fitter and ride faster into the wind

The lane is FINE.

The light posts in the middle are unusual but now they have put normal sign posts (something about change of traffic light sequence) in the middle of the lane. The lamp posts have reflective tape at least.

Then there is the crossing of roads. This is very dangerous coming away from town as cars turning dont really indicate so you basically have to slow down or stop at every street crossing. At the robots cars stop on the zebra crossing, usually as its best to put make up in that spot. At the Milnerton flea market you need to somehow cross Otto to get to the otherside. They have a red light to stop the traffic and a green arrow to allow cars to go left, in other words there is constant traffic flow. I know its not complete but still its not flowing, but FINE.

On the Paarden Eiland BRT route you have many pedestrians who cannot hear you coming, even when ringing your bell. Now I dont ride fast so this is going to get nasty with the faster riders late for work etc. Is it a cycle lane or is it a pedestrian lane? Its both but I see this argument making a few posts in the future.

Safety is till a concern.

I'm loving the cycle-lane. I went for a ride yesterday and again this morning and have taking it into town more then once. The city council could so easily have said "screw the cyclists" and made two dedicated bus-lanes on the section between Woodbridge Island and Boundry Rd, but they didn't. If I worked in Town I'd use that route a lot more.

It really is a great, car free route.

Just take care in the evenings, there are some questionable folk "camping" next to the route, but I've found a nice bright light makes then shy away.

Thank you Mr. BRT-City-council-planner-person for not just ditching the idea of a cycling route.

iRob, Do you ride on the red road or the actual cycling lanes?

I use the dedicated cycle lane. I have used the "red-route" but that was prior to the cycle lane being completed in the Paarden Island area. They have made good progress with the cycle lane, the only bad section is just as it passes under the N1. Each week I ride into town there is some major improvement.

I do it in an MTB so it is a bit better then on a road bike I suppose.

Looking out for pedestrians is something I do anyway, if only because I'm convinced some of those okes are on tik and looking for easy money!!

What are your thoughts on the "road" crossings? There are cars to contend with as well as cris crossing the road all the time. I also do it on the mtb...much easier especially now they have dug that big hole by the bridge.

Yesterday saw a few obstacles, (Remember that it is not complete so not sure if we should even be riding the route yet) The water hole at the bridge, Plants all over the show, workers grinding on the path, pedestrians who dont realise that cyclists use the path as well (I am worried about giving a walker a big fright and he has a heart attack or something as a bell doesnt work), some glass and in the afternoon a car.

I've ridden in from Tableview to Paarden Island this week and I honestly don't know where all the obstacles are if you are on a mtb?? The road around Paarden Island is a bit bumpy so on a road bike you may battle, but the new path itself is really smoothe? Yes, the road crossings may mean a stop or two but compared to being on the road... weehay!

I did almost bump into one of a group of workmen walking home but he wasn;t paying attention and the rest gave him hell :)

I agree with Thor, comparing it to the road this is way better.

If anything the pedestrians are going to get way worse when the buses start their rounds. I just "shout" cyclist, but I've experienced some people getting a fright, screaming and jumping in front of me. Shame, it normally the woman who are frightened the most.

I've done it at night a few times (22:00) and then the guys ginding seem happy to see someone else... At that time of the evening they are generally not doing much apart from handing each other strange parcels. Kid you not I've seen guys dealing drugss. But like I say, it was at 22:00.

I'm just going to enjoy it as much as I can while it is still quite clean.

I agree with Thor, comparing it to the road this is way better.

I'm just going to enjoy it as much as I can while it is still quite clean.

If you're exercising at 22:00 you either are obsessed or have kids!

Can't see why they'd sell steroids in packages to bikers at that hour though... ;)

If you're exercising at 22:00 you either are obsessed or have kids!

Can't see why they'd sell steroids in packages to bikers at that hour though... ;)

Hahahaha, Nooit, I bought myself a MagicShine light and was actually out testing it as a new method of self-defense. I just got on my old bike, started riding and that fell in love with that route.

Next goal is Blockhouse and back via that route and back end of kloof nek.

It is actually a pity there isn't any mud along that route. I need to up my mud-skills big time.

It is actually a pity there isn't any mud along that route. I need to up my mud-skills big time.

Self-defence?? From those steroid-pushers of yours?? hehe

Actually funny you say that about the mud - as you go over the bridge at the Paddocks towards town, hook a sharp right into the vlei area where the construction equipment has been. I swear as I rode past the other day, my bike did a natural lurch in that direction.

Or it was the wind...

Self-defence?? From those steroid-pushers of yours?? hehe

Actually funny you say that about the mud - as you go over the bridge at the Paddocks towards town, hook a sharp right into the vlei area where the construction equipment has been. I swear as I rode past the other day, my bike did a natural lurch in that direction.

Or it was the wind...

I remember seeing it this morning; I'll see how I manage through there soon.

Look it's tight; with the wind channeling bewteen the buildings in Paarden island seems I'll be pushing soon as well!!

I remember seeing it this morning; I'll see how I manage through there soon.

Look it's tight; with the wind channeling bewteen the buildings in Paarden island seems I'll be pushing soon as well!!

Where does the route go through Paarden Island's buildings? I just stick on the road, cos the kerb is really wide and you can see the oncoming traffic.

I think on Monday it was 20kph out and about 40kph back... almost ran out of gears! Never ridden a road bike but I keep picturing myself on my "tri-bars"! :)