MTB components, tyres in particular not fit for intended purpose...

Headshot

Rant mode on :) Just got back from a nice 40km round trip from home to the Silvermine gate and back. Nearly didnt make it home because my nearly new (in km terms) Raceking rear tyre let go half way down the main downhill. Not a mark on the rim, no ding, so no major impact,but it split just above the beading. This tyre has more than 70% tread left and is perfect in every other respect. No sign of a foreign object in the hole but I cant rule that out. Had just come down a rocky section so maybe something happened then, but strange that there was no sign of an impact on the rim at that point. I didnt have enough sealant in the tyre (long story - see below) to see whether that would have blocked the hole, but I fear not.

I have another Raceking in the cupboard awaiting surgery on a tread tumour caused by it delaminating and the sealant forming a nice hard lump below the tread. This I discovered while away for the weekend and without extra sealant to top up the spare tyre I put on. So thats 2x Racekings with plenty of tread that have been damaged/failed in circumstances I'd expect a mtb tyre to survive.

The first ones failure is due to some kind of delamination, maybe after an impact, the second, who knows. Either way, I don't think that they are fit to be called MTB tyres. Its a pity - they grip and roll beautifully - I was waxing lyrical to my girlfriend about the grip earlier in the ride ....

Am I mad to expect my tyres to last better than they do - 500km or less? Imagine if our car tyres delaminated and developed holes at the drop of a hat. Our mtb tyres cost far more than a car tyre if you look at the amount of material involved and yet they last a fraction of the distance.

Okay, that feels better. Any suggestions on repairs for my dud tyres?

Maxxis crossmark tubeless! No more to be said

Bought 3 tyres for R1000 on a special at west rand cycles, so that solved my tire problems. Not too good in mud though...

Which sealant are you using? A large number of tyre producers do not endorse the use of any sealant for exactly the reason you've found. I can't even remember who the manufacturers are who do endorse use of a sealant and then which sealant that happens to be. I do aggree with you completely, have been using Michelin XCR dry dual compound and thise things deteriorate very quickly, not even 400k's from them. Top of the line UST tyres will cost more than my 4x4 tyres!

Lets try again -- I have had the same problem of the tire delamanating pity cause I impressed with its performance!

Stans sealant. Must admit I have never had this problem with Maxxis Larsens and Xmarks tyres and Stans although to be fair one did fail after taking a sidewall hit from a rock - it was plenty old by then tho.

I am going to surgically remove the stans tumour and fill use puncture glue on teh rea to seal the hole and teh delamination - will see how it goes...

If you were looking for the perfect sealant/tyre mix you could cut an old tyre of your preference up and use different sealants on them to see which ones delaminate/corrode the inside of your tyre. Never tried it but been recommended the approach.

Always used Maxxis tyres, changed to Conti Race King, 1 x ride and tore the sidewall on a rocky section - back on Maxxis.

Very annoying and potentially very very dangerous and could end up costing a fortune not only having to replace the tyre but also replacing a damaged rim and damaged you. Take them back to the shop? Did you do any big muddy puddles this weekend?

Managed to avoid nearly all the mud - not that theres a lot around at the mo :) The first Raceking - the one with the tumour has miraculously healed itself - it was obvioulsy air trapped between the inner layer and the tread. I have put it back on and so far no bubble, but not holding my breath.

Yes, the quick flat I had yesterday could have been dangerous - luckily I noticed the air loss and could stop before damage occurred. Conti will just say a sharp object penetrated the tyre - normal riding incident - can't disprove that so i'll try and repair the tear instead...

Managed to avoid nearly all the mud - not that theres a lot around at the mo :) The first Raceking - the one with the tumour has miraculously healed itself - it was obvioulsy air trapped between the inner layer and the tread. I have put it back on and so far no bubble, but not holding my breath.

Yes, the quick flat I had yesterday could have been dangerous - luckily I noticed the air loss and could stop before damage occurred. Conti will just say a sharp object penetrated the tyre - normal riding incident - can't disprove that so i'll try and repair the tear instead...

Even take it to a tyre shop for cars, they are good & cheap;)

Maxxis crossmark tubeless! No more to be said

Bought 3 tyres for R1000 on a special at west rand cycles, so that solved my tire problems. Not too good in mud though...

Fine for XC race but they suck grip wise, cant use them in the cape, mud sticks to them like @#$@# on blanket, on rocks they slide like your on road wheels, absolutly hated them.

Converted to race/mountain king setup and 100% chuffed well for the time being at lest.

My thoughts would be you either pinched it on a sharp rock or cut it on a rock maybe even a peace of wire, had that happen to me on another tyre, only knew it was metal since there was rust on the inside of the cut.

Also not a fan of repairing tyres, that makes a known weakspot in the tyre that can go at any second, how much faith can you have storming down a hill with that type of setup?