CSA Licensing

Spark

Why do kids that occasionally ride the short distance at a MTB - event, need to buy a license? I suggest that riders that ride the long distance need a license, because they are riding with competetive riders. I have to buy 3 addisional licenses for my kids. The youngest is 9 years. This is just greed on CSA side. All riders should protest, because this is keeping kids from riding at mtb events. Entry fees are expensive enough.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do kids that occasionally ride the short distance at a MTB - event, need to buy a license? I suggest that riders that ride the long distance need a license, because they are riding with competetive riders. I have to buy 3 addisional licenses for my kids. The youngest is 9 years. This is just greed on CSA side. All riders should protest, because this is keeping kids from riding at mtb events. Entry fees are expensive enough.

I asked the same question, What am I getting from CSA for my license fee - Excuses & Greed - I should be allowed to see where the money is going? They seem to get very very defensive if you start asking questions( kinda like our government ministers) Puts people off entering events, becomes very expensive what with entry fees, csa fees, travelling expenses etc etc. They seem to hide behind a smokescreen

You only gonna need a license for full and half marathon distances . I they ask you for a license for the short kiddies races somebody is also trying to steal your money .

So ask for their annual report. It was available for download the year before, so you can see exactly where you money is going.

So ask for their annual report. It was available for download the year before, so you can see exactly where you money is going.

Still doesnt answer the question - What am I getting for it, are they subsiding the races? :unsure:

I was on the CSA site earlier and got a little confused...

If I pay R75 for CSA membership, does that mean than when I want to ride events like the Crater Cruise 28km, I don't have to pay the R35 day license?

OR

does spending R75 only get me a membership, then I still have to pay the R35 for a day license or R350 for a full racing license?

Cos the website makes it sounds like one has to spend the R350 if one doesn't want to spend R35 for day licenses every race

I was on the CSA site earlier and got a little confused...

If I pay R75 for CSA membership, does that mean than when I want to ride events like the Crater Cruise 28km, I don't have to pay the R35 day license?

OR

does spending R75 only get me a membership, then I still have to pay the R35 for a day license or R350 for a full racing license?

Cos the website makes it sounds like one has to spend the R350 if one doesn't want to spend R35 for day licenses every race

Thats exaclty it ;)

Thats exaclty it ;)

wow! that' sucks!

from the way the crater cruise entry is explained I can get a day license without paying R75 for a CSA membership...

guess I'll find out on wednesday!

wow! that' sucks!

from the way the crater cruise entry is explained I can get a day license without paying R75 for a CSA membership...

guess I'll find out on wednesday!

Not sure about that :unsure:

What a joke . Good thing I stopped doing CSA SANCTIONED races a while back . So the options you got now are , either get a full RACE license or pay the day license fee !!! Ooooh and don't forget , you MUST also belong to the CSA . So your license will cost you R425.00 for the year . Please remind me , what did a cyclo license cost last year again ?

Here is a letter I got from CSA.

Seems you join CSA and you can race all CSA sanctioned events. The CSA Race license if for International UCI events. So in my eyes things have got cheaper as you dont need to buy a license (was from myrace.co.za R75) and be affiliated with GCA (Gauteng Cycling Acc R75).

But who knows could change at the drop of a penny!

"CSA Membership and Licensing Policy

All riders taking part in CSA sanctioned events are required to be a Member of CSA for the year in which

the race takes place, or to have a valid day license for every day of participation. Membership or a day

license is a race entry requirement and is thus a prerequisite to enter a race.

2011 Licensing Process

Steps

1. Everyone must join CSA as a member

2. Once you are a member, you can upgrade to a full racing license

3. Or - You can take a day license for every day you race

Fees

1. CSA Membership R75.00

2. CSA Racing License R350.00

3. Day License R35.00

CSA Membership

Membership will be available through the CSA web site (www.cyclingsa.com) or affiliated online entry

companies (when you enter a race like the Cycle Tour). If membership is taken through an online entry

company, you will still have to complete certain details on the CSA website, but this will not stop you

entering the race that you want to do.

CSA require all members to be a member of an affiliate (province) and a club. These options are all

available on the CSA site. The system opens on 01 November.

Membership will entitle riders to race, be seeded and participate in CSA sanctioned events. Exceptions

are detailed under Racing License Section

CSA Racing License (UCI License)

A Racing license can only be bought once you are a member of CSA. This can only be done through the

CSA web site (www.cyclingsa.com). If you join as a member on the CSA site, this process can be done at

the same time. Otherwise you can upgrade to this option at any time. A license card will be issued and

posted to you.

A racing license allows a rider to represent South Africa and participate in UCI sanctioned events. SA

Championship events and SA Colors require a racing license. CSA points will only be given to riders a

with full racing license.

Racing Licenses are for all riders 16 years and older. Youth Riders and younger can race and get all the

racing license benefits as a CSA Member.

CSA Licensing System

CSA have developed a new online data management system that will be fast, efficient and easy to use.

It will be available for 01 November to Riders and 15 October to clubs and affiliates. This system will be

on the CSA web site (www.cyclingsa.com). The system will also have the following features

• National Seeding System

• National Points system

• Online Entry System for CSA events (such as SA Championship events)

• National Calendar and race information system

• A rider communication system

• A National Results system

• Connectivity to all affiliated online entry companies and timing systems

Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour

CSA requires all riders riding in sanctioned events to be licensed and the Cycle Tour are sanctioned

license sellers for CSA.

When entering the Cycle Tour there are various membership and licensing options available to you.

From a CSA perspective you need to have one of the following to complete your entry.

1. A membership of CSA for 2011

2. A day license

Should you choose a membership of CSA this will be valid for the whole of 2011 and allow you to do any

other race. Should you chose a day license, this is only valid for the cycle tour.

When the 2011 CSA license system goes live for riders on 01 November 2010, you will be able to

upgrade your CSA Membership that you bought from the cycle tour to a full racing license should you

wish to do so. You will also be able to join the club of your choice.

Questions and Answers

Q: Once I have bought a CSA Membership through a race like the Cycle Tour, how do I get a full racing

license?

A: In 2011 all riders need to become a Member of CSA first. Once you are a member, you can then get a

full racing license on the CSA Web Site. This process will open on 01 November

Q: What about Junior licenses?

A: There are no Junior licenses. All riders over the age of 16 require a full racing license should they

wish to compete in Nationals, UCI events or get National Colors. Youth riders (U16) are only required to

become members and will receive all the benefits of a full racing license.

Q: Do I still need to join a club.

A: Yes, when the CSA system opens on 01 November, you will need to add your club and affiliate

(province) details.

Q: Why are the cycle tour charging me for a license?

A: It is the responsibility of all race organizers to make sure that all competing riders are licensed, either

as a member of CSA or with a day license. CSA will accredit online entry companies to sell membership

to riders at the point of entry, so as to make riders lives easier. The online entry company will then

provide this information to CSA, so that you do not get charged again at another race.

Q: What about the old Cyclo Sport License?

A: CSA have decided to do away with this license. The process is now very simple. You join CSA as a

member. Should you wish to have a full racing license, then you can upgrade to this option.

Q: Can I get a full racing license without becoming a member.

A : No. However after 01 November, if you chose to take out your membership on the CSA site, you

can upgrade to a full racing license at the same time, merely by ticking a box.

Q: How do I register my club?

A: On 15 October the system will be open for club and affiliate registration. The process will be fast and

simple and CSA staff will help you if so needed. You will be able to load your fees, or portions thereof,

and permissions to suit your club needs. You will also be able to load all club details and benefits.

Q: Who is the service provider and where do I find the system?

A: The system will be on the CSA web site (www.cyclingsa.com) and is owned and administered by CSA"

And here is the catch :

. Once you are a member, you can upgrade to a full racing license

Fees

But who knows could change at the drop of a penny!

Sorry, Language Police here, Metaphor Protection Unit.

A penny dropping is what happens when a person gains understanding that was missing. As in:

"I didn't understand what CSA were trying to achieve, but then the penny dropped, and it all made sense."

A hat dropping is the metaphor for sudden, unexpected change. As in:

"Well, that's what CSA are doing this week, but it could all change at the drop of a hat."

Do not take this as a personal dig, it really isn't intended to be.

Right, back to dissing CSA everybody!

Sorry, Language Police here, Metaphor Protection Unit.

A penny dropping is what happens when a person gains understanding that was missing. As in:

"I didn't understand what CSA were trying to achieve, but then the penny dropped, and it all made sense."

A hat dropping is the metaphor for sudden, unexpected change. As in:

"Well, that's what CSA are doing this week, but it could all change at the drop of a hat."

Do not take this as a personal dig, it really isn't intended to be.

Right, back to dissing CSA everybody!

No offence taken. Was intented to be a Metaphor with an underlying dig at the cash cow.......

And here is the catch :

. Once you are a member, you can upgrade to a full racing license

Fees

Typo.

To participate in a CSA-sanctioned race you need a day license OR CSA membership. If you want to race Vets, Elites etc. you also need a racing license.

I've been communicating with CSA a lot about this.

For most of us average Joes, the costs will be exactly the same as this year. You still need to pay your R75 CGC affiliation. You still need to pay R75 to be able to race as a 'fun rider' (it's just called a CSA membership, rather than a cyclosport license).

If you race Vets, Elites etc. you need to buy a full racing license (even for non-UCI events) at R350. It appears you pay this in addition to your CSA membership.

There is no longer a Junior racing license. Up to U16, CSA membership is enough. After that you need a full racing license to race in the racing categories.

I've done 2 CSA races so far this year just to get seeded. The first time I went to pick up mu number the gent behind the table asked me if I wanted to take out a day license. I said no and walk off. The second time no asked me anything. Either they must do away with it or enforce it better.