Chain Problem

Novice Mommie

Hi Guys,

My daughter (9yrs) rides a little raleigh (old square frame) with 5 speed grip shift - if we go over bumps (dah mountain bike!) the chain bounces off the front sprocket to the inside ? Mommies getting tired of having to stop and put it back.

I got to make this bike last till Father Christmas comes when she can accumulate money to pay for a new bike cos I can't seem to find a inexpensive second hand 24" for her - my XS Giant is too big for her - Wondering if it is going to be an expensive venture to fix ?

Another thing - a plastic round guard of some sort snapped off on the inside of the sprocket a while back - hubby said I shouldn't worry - could this be my problem?

thanks

Yep - the inside guard could be the problem. Happened to my boy's bike too. Could not find just the guard so bought a whole new crank with guard inside and out for R110 at cajees (I know, I know but was the only place I that could help).

If the plastic thing broke off the sprocket which is at the rear wheel, this has little to do with the chain coming off the front chain ring. From the sounds of things the change is bouncing (caused by the spring tension being very low in the rear derailleur) or the chain having stretched or overly long. A guard on the inside of the chain ring would stop the result, but a new cheap rear derailleur might stop the cause. Get your LBS to check it out if you are unsure.

Yep - the inside guard could be the problem. Happened to my boy's bike too. Could not find just the guard so bought a whole new crank with guard inside and out for R110 at cajees (I know, I know but was the only place I that could help).

thanks .... cajees ?? I am in Durbs ? I guess I will have to relent and go to the bike shop...

If the plastic thing broke off the sprocket which is at the rear wheel, this has little to do with the chain coming off the front chain ring. From the sounds of things the change is bouncing (caused by the spring tension being very low in the rear derailleur) or the chain having stretched or overly long. A guard on the inside of the chain ring would stop the result, but a new cheap rear derailleur might stop the cause. Get your LBS to check it out if you are unsure.

ok - so a trip to the lbs is going to be necessary - my bad - the plastic thingie broke off the front ?? (crank ??) and yes it almost seems as though the chain bounces when she goes over a bump.

thanks,

Unfortunately kiddie's bikes are really, really, really rubbish. The chainline is so horrible that just about anything, including it just standing under a Christmas tree, will make the chain jump off.

I suggest pulling the chain a bit tighter (if the chainline is OK or semi-ok). Otherwise, fit a chain guide to either side of the front sprocket. It will have to be a home-made affair, two perspex pizzas or similar, bolted to either side of the chainring.

I honestly pity anyone who has to work on one of these things. The brakes are particularly poor on these cockroach bikes. My worst nightmare was volunteering to assemble 50 of these misfit machines after Raleigh donated them to a primary school in KZN.

ok - so a trip to the lbs is going to be necessary - my bad - the plastic thingie broke off the front ?? (crank ??) and yes it almost seems as though the chain bounces when she goes over a bump.

thanks,

Where in Durban are you? If you can get yourself to Hillcrest go through to Cyclefun, Gary there will sort your problem out or sought you out with an upgrade, he's got a number of 2nd hand kids bikes, I got my nephews from there, service is excellent as are his hours.

I honestly pity anyone who has to work on one of these things. The brakes are particularly poor on these cockroach bikes. My worst nightmare was volunteering to assemble 50 of these misfit machines after Raleigh donated them to a primary school in KZN.

I would rather have my toenails pulled out

I would rather have my toenails pulled out

Last night my wife was concerned that my little Hubber left his Spiderman bike outside, I told her that I hope its gone in the morning.

In 17mths he has only ridden it for 2 weeks !!!!!

Last night my wife was concerned that my little Hubber left his Spiderman bike outside, I told her that I hope its gone in the morning.

In 17mths he has only ridden it for 2 weeks !!!!!

How the hell did you find him when he was 2 weeks away?

The TdF is 3 weeks so 2 weeks' riding for a nipper is impressive!

Where in Durban are you? If you can get yourself to Hillcrest go through to Cyclefun, Gary there will sort your problem out or sought you out with an upgrade, he's got a number of 2nd hand kids bikes, I got my nephews from there, service is excellent as are his hours.

Do they sell nieces as well?

How the hell did you find him when he was 2 weeks away?

The TdF is 3 weeks so 2 weeks' riding for a nipper is impressive!

Well of those 17mths, he has not ridden his Y-bike for the 2weeks he had the opportunity to use his Spiderman bike.

Y-bike with 20mths daily use (1-3km a day) is still in A-condition and now packed away for next Hubber, Spiderman bike has done probably 1km and might have 4km left in it.

Unfortunately kiddie's bikes are really, really, really rubbish. The chainline is so horrible that just about anything, including it just standing under a Christmas tree, will make the chain jump off.

I suggest pulling the chain a bit tighter (if the chainline is OK or semi-ok). Otherwise, fit a chain guide to either side of the front sprocket. It will have to be a home-made affair, two perspex pizzas or similar, bolted to either side of the chainring.

Bring back the old school Raleigh BMX bicycles for kids - Never ever had a problem with those

what ever happened to the old "BUNDU" bike you know the one you had to backpedal to brake. and after a while that failed and you would stop it by putting your foot on the back wheel. fun but those puppies where indistructable. couldn't break it if you tried and believe me we did for years.

Edited by jcmeyer15

You guys so make me laugh .... had a friend ride behind her and he decide maybe she was suffering a little chain suck .... well there was .... enough kuk on that chain ... apparently my hubby thought motor cycle spray on chain stuffies would do for her bike ... not ... all sticky !!! So ... yes... I cleaned it all nicely with diesel on the weekend and a bit of good old Q20 ...yes ... well get to the shop for some propper bike lube this week... hopefully. Already she says huge improvement and ... chain hasn't as yet fallen off - but I do think the suggest for an inner chain guard will also help :)

thanks