Nick Bester attacked and robbed

Sammajoor

Have not watched SC however on a cycling programme on DSTV with Andrew Mclean as a guest, there is general consensus that syndicates appear to be operating across borders.I do occasionally drive across townships, and am yet to a come a cross descent bike on the street, it's all the entry level stuff from Makro you get to see.

With tracking technology out there, is there no way micro chips could be use to track these things, if letters could be tracked why can't expensive bikes, as this could uncover the kingpins fast.

Otherwise I am no fan of guns..again riding in numbers has to be the best preventative measure at current, that's why I am still sticking with the roadies...nearly got my behind shaved by a taxi once...riding solo thou...since then I am serial groupie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my doubts but watching the SC interview last night seems that bike jacking is an organized scheme, the guy they caught admitted to watching MTB'ers and being told to leave bikes he hijacked at a central point which would be collected later

I didnt watch Scotty, did they say it "was organised".? Do they have some proof of that or is it just a perception.?

Have not watched SC however on a cycling programme on DSTV with Andrew Mclean as a guest, there is general consensus that syndicates appear to be operating across borders.I do occasionally drive across townships, and am yet to a come a cross descent bike on the street, it's all the entry level stuff from Makro you get to see.

With tracking technology out there, is there no way micro chips could be use to track these things, if letters could be tracked why can't expensive bikes, as this could uncover the kingpins fast.

Otherwise I am no fan of guns..again riding in numbers has to be the best preventative measure at current, that's why I am still sticking with the roadies...nearly got my behind shaved by a taxi once...riding solo thou...since then I am serial groupie

They target groups, get 3 -5 bikes at once. A group will not deter these thugs, all the more reason to bike- jack. The mircochip idea is good.Just battery life is the problem

I didnt watch Scotty, did they say it "was organised".? Do they have some proof of that or is it just a perception.?

They interviewed one of the hijacked guys on SC. There were 5 MTB'ers that got held up by a guy with a gun and tied up, he also tried to assault one of the female riders. The guy was later caught jointly by the police and the local community. He said he had been instructed to hijack bikes, leave them at a point and they would be collected later. He also told them he had been watching MTB'ers for a while.

Edited by scotty

I watched it too, this is definatly a well organised syndicate behind it :angry:

I am a big Cold Steel fan, but they are quite heavy ( especialy the AK47). Most Spyderco's are nice and light... ;)

I am a big Cold Steel fan, but they are quite heavy ( especialy the AK47). Most Spyderco's are nice and light... ;)

The best example of this has to be the Q, I am fortunate enough to have one :D

But let's not forget the Civilian, a heavy bugger at best.

Edited by Dangle

They interviewed one of the hijacked guys on SC. There were 5 MTB'ers that got held up by a guy with a gun and tied up, he also tried to assault one of the female riders. The guy was later caught jointly by the police and the local community. He said he had been instructed to hijack bikes, leave them at a point and they would be collected later. He also told them he had been watching MTB'ers for a while.

Okay, look, I am still a little sceptical, but yeah, maybe theres something in it.?

Okay, look, I am still a little sceptical, but yeah, maybe theres something in it.?

A few years back there was a bike shop in PE that was transporting perlemoen for the poachers in bicycle boxes. :(

If shops can do that then they can be involved in many other things. :o

I was sceptic as well, i believe in my case they were not targeting my bike specific and could not have cared less if it was a Makro special or not, but rather for gun, cellphone wallet etc.

I was sceptic as well, i believe in my case they were not targeting my bike specific and could not have cared less if it was a Makro special or not, but rather for gun, cellphone wallet etc.

It was clearly not your Sp...... :o

A few years back there was a bike shop in PE that was transporting perlemoen for the poachers in bicycle boxes. :(

If shops can do that then they can be involved in many other things. :o

Phoeew, yeah, Perlemoen poaching is huge in PE, I think it probably contributes to the GDP in no small way either, but yeah, when big money is involved, morals tend to go out the window.

Yeah, thats my impression of the situation, its basically opportunistic, but it seems there is an element of organisation as well in some cases, wether its that big and that organised yet is debateable, I still cant see it, but who knows.?

Yeah, thats my impression of the situation, its basically opportunistic, but it seems there is an element of organisation as well in some cases, wether its that big and that organised yet is debateable, I still cant see it, but who knows.?

Why such a sceptic that this is a big syndicate? :unsure: If they are watching the riders, and are leaving the bikes for someone to fetch, it can only be a syndicated theft/bike- jacking. A couple weeks ago some other guys were watched and then high jacked, they even knew who rode in their group. There is nothing opportunitstic at all about these crimes:angry: .

Why such a sceptic that this is a big syndicate? :unsure: If they are watching the riders, and are leaving the bikes for someone to fetch, it can only be a syndicated theft/bike- jacking. A couple weeks ago some other guys were watched and then high jacked, they even knew who rode in their group. There is nothing opportunitstic at all about these crimes:angry: .

There could be some syndicates but generally it doesn't take a rocket scientist to hijack a bicycle. Most of our population could do it with one finger stuck up their nose.