So sick of bike jackings!!!!

rattlesnake

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell Cele that his fat butted(family word!) cops would benefit from buying a mountain bike and getting some saddle time. And maybe they wouldn't take so many sickies,..and maybe they could run after criminals and catch then and maybe...ag, nevermind!

I had a friend murdered a few years ago in a restuarant, while another three guys where shot. His sister was able to co-ordiante a walk against Crime, that was in London & Durban at the same time. It was attended by many South Africans, foreigners all people we knew or had been touched by the story of a great person/friend lost to crime in this country(maybe over a 2000 people walked the streets of London). It just amazes me, that us as a cycling community and as Saffas cant try and get something done ourselves instead of just always accepting things the way they are :(

eBlockwatch’s dream team nabs suspected bike hijacker

Tara Meaney | 3 Hours Ago

http://www.eyewitnessnews.co.za/articleprog.aspx?id=50841&utm_source

Crime fighting organisation eBlockwatch has arrested an alleged bike hijacker believed to have been operating in Gauteng.

The organisation’s Dream Team swooped on the suspect in Buccleuch and caught the man with a bicycle worth around R60,000 which was reported stolen two weeks ago.

The team – which usually tracks rhino poaching – has now put their skills to catching other criminals.

The move comes after an increase in attacks on cyclists in Gauteng. Well-known runner Nick Bester was hijacked and robbed on Wednesday.

Dream Team founder André Snyman said more arrests are imminent.

“It’s a big syndicate. It’s a lot of money involved - just like the rhino horn - because when a hijacker gets caught with one of these bikes he’s got about R60,000 in his hands,” he said.

(Edited by Deshnee Subramany)

:clap:

I am not so sure it takes a syndicate to hijack bikes. I think the only qualification needed is to know how to ride one. I guess if the hijacker has a bakie then he doesn't even have to know how to ride it.

With car hijacking there are definately syndicates, they need people to hijack the cars, then they need someone to remove all the identification from the glass, chassis and engine, they also need new VIN tags (for which they probably need a contact at the car manufacturer) and people in the SAP for police clearance and people in the licencing department to register the cars.

I had a friend murdered a few years ago in a restuarant, while another three guys where shot. His sister was able to co-ordiante a walk against Crime, that was in London & Durban at the same time. It was attended by many South Africans, foreigners all people we knew or had been touched by the story of a great person/friend lost to crime in this country(maybe over a 2000 people walked the streets of London). It just amazes me, that us as a cycling community and as Saffas cant try and get something done ourselves instead of just always accepting things the way they are :(

This has been done for road safety, a few years back we had a tragedy around the Lido route where 2 riders were killed over the same weekend. Hubbers IanJ, Captain Slow, Chunky amongst others organised a ride to each accident scene where wreaths were laid. Attendance turnout was big and we even had representation from as far as the Western Cape.

Edited by scotty

I am not so sure it takes a syndicate to hijack bikes. I think the only qualification needed is to know how to ride one. I guess if the hijacker has a bakie then he doesn't even have to know how to ride it.

With car hijacking there are definately syndicates, they need people to hijack the cars, then they need someone to remove all the identification from the glass, chassis and engine, they also need new VIN tags (for which they probably need a contact at the car manufacturer) and people in the SAP for police clearance and people in the licencing department to register the cars.

The question is what do they do with these bikes. They are targeting expensive bikes so clearly they have some knowledge regarding cycling. Since they targeting specifically these bikes they won't be selling them for next to nothing in the townships. So they have to have someone with a "legitamate" reason to have and sell these bikes. Unless, like crack said, they're hub users and offloading them here.

http://www.eyewitnes...0841&utm_source

Crime fighting organisation eBlockwatch has arrested an alleged bike hijacker believed to have been operating in Gauteng.

The organisation’s Dream Team swooped on the suspect in Buccleuch and caught the man with a bicycle worth around R60,000 which was reported stolen two weeks ago.

The team – which usually tracks rhino poaching – has now put their skills to catching other criminals.

The move comes after an increase in attacks on cyclists in Gauteng. Well-known runner Nick Bester was hijacked and robbed on Wednesday.

“It’s a big syndicate. It’s a lot of money involved - just like the rhino horn - because when a hijacker gets caught with one of these bikes he’s got about R60,000 in his hands,” he said.

Thats awesome. Great work, Dream Team :clap:Now we will start to get some where, lets see if there is a drop in spate of hijackings over the next month

This has been done for road safety, a few years back we had a tragedy around the Lido route where 2 riders were killed over the same weekend. Hubbers IanJ, Captain Slow, Chunky amongst others organised a ride to each accident scene where wreaths were laid. Attendance turnout was big and we even had representation from as far as the Western Cape.

It should be done on a yearly basis, an awareness drive. Not only about the safety within road cycling, also the benefits of cycling as well, trying to promote more cycle lanes, better cycle routes, get people out their cars etc etc. It should be on a national scale, where families are involved. It couldnt be that difficult to organise?

http://www.eyewitnessnews.co.za/articleprog.aspx?id=50841&utm_source

That's briliant :clap:

They must put his fingers in a vice for a few hours,that way he can't take another bike or injure someone else

:angry:

According to Beeld, the guy that was arrested was the buyer of the bike, not the hijacker. He bought it for R1500. Picture looks like a Scott Scale, I'm not that clued up an the Scotts so don't know which one it is, picture is unclear.

According to Beeld, the guy that was arrested was the buyer of the bike, not the hijacker. He bought it for R1500. Picture looks like a Scott Scale, I'm not that clued up an the Scotts so don't know which one it is, picture is unclear.

Rightly so he should be arrested too, so did the seller/thieving son a biatch get caught too?