Thinking of buying a Trek Gary Fisher Superfly 29er?

Tokoloshe

Hubbers- thinking of buying a Gary Fisher superfly 29er? Consider this:

At present Cyclelab has tied up all stock coming into SA, and is charging R55k (for an X.0 Spec carbon hardtail). Alternatively, you could fly to London, pick up the same bike ordered from a UK retailer, spend 4 days riding it on the trails in Wales, fly back to SA with it, pay your 15% import duty and 14% vat (pay for all this travel and accom) AND STILL SAVE R4K on the cyclelab price.

Put another way, this bike SHOULD retail in SA for about R40k to R42k incl VAT. This assumes the local bike retailer marks it up by 35% (average in the US is 38%) on the local landed cost price (inclusive of import duties).

Other retailers should be getting stock towards the end of October. This will bring the price down, but don't accept only a slight reduction on the Cyclelab price. These bikes should retail far lower.

Oh, AND there is the issue of the super strong rand.

When buying a bike - be aware of the what the real value is. Know your rights as a consumer for fair value.

A LBS tying up all stock to avoid competitive pressure and then fleecing consumers is bad form.

These commments could equally apply to other bikes/brands - I've just use the GF example as it is one I have researched.

Tokoloshe, unfortunately I can not share your sentiments regarding CycleLab, because all that I have got from those guys was just awesome service, and prices. On two occasions this year they have bettered my written quotes on two top-end carbon bikes. They made me a very happy customer indeed, and I will always go back. Viva CycleLab! Regarding the Trek Gary Fisher, also looked at one, but not yet convinced that I want one. Great bikes, well specced but wtf is it with the new handlebars. Looks like old school delivery bike handlebars. :thumbdown:

Edited by atraut

Tokoloshe, would be very damning if what you say is true. I'm not waiting for the compcom to decide, I refuse to spend a cent in that place. i also send people who ask me elsewhere. Maybe if it's a sunday and I'm really desperate i'll have to go shoplift something.

I don't go near cyclelab, don't trust them in anyway whatsoever, wouldn't at all be surprised if what you say is true... thank goodness for the internet and online stores :)

Maybe I should not have participated in this thread, cause all of a sudden I have just realised that I was on the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong crowd!:blush: I am not normally quick to judge a book by it's cover, and I am cautious to judge the two hubbers, Tokoloshe and Shebeen by their usernames, so I will rather not comment further on this matter, but would like to conclude that I prefer a decent LBS than those operating from freight containers without any back-up service!

Avoid CL like the plague...you will be glad you did! Prices way to high for everything, plus lets not forget the alleged price fixing they got involved in...has everyone forgotten that already? Example: A friend told me this price for this item-Giordana Ladies shorts at CL-R1200, CRC-R600. WTF?

in fact it would be less, cos if you bring it on the plane, they will charge you a flat 20% on the bike's value less your traveller's rebate of R3000.00 :blink:

CL is finding ways around the whole price fixing issue by trying to create a temporary monopoly. Not Ayoba at all! They seem to have a following (you must drive a Porche Cayenne or Range Rover Sport to qualify), but for the rest of us the interweb and the good ol fashioned smaller LBS still ranks #1.

but the rand doesn't have everything to do with the 'price' - each year shipping line rates go up, trucking charges go up, port charges go up, clearing agent fees go up, warehousing costs go up etc etc.

I agree, just lost out on a 2010 Superfly 29er on ebay uk site last week - it went for £1500, and in very good nick...

You can buy fly to Eur/US and buy most bikes, spend a couple of days and have spare cash...

Interesting responses - my post was not out of a grudge, but rather seeing as I had some facts I thought it would be beneficial to share with the cycling community.

The point here (my p.o.v) is not whether one can actually go to the uk get the bike cheaper (too much admin) but just to highlight some consumer unfriendly activity.

I will certainly be happy to pay for service - but to use an analogy - I am not going to buy BMW320 that retails in a competitive market for R300k for a price of R400k just because the dealership has a superior service offering.

If CL does offer superior service (not going to enter this debate!) it could justify a 5% or maybe )(10% at a push) premium. But the R42k to R55k difference is not justifiable in my humble opinion

:)

Interesting responses - my post was not out of a grudge, but rather seeing as I had some facts I thought it would be beneficial to share with the cycling community.

The point here (my p.o.v) is not whether one can actually go to the uk get the bike cheaper (too much admin) but just to highlight some consumer unfriendly activity.

that's the thing, there are two issues here.

price of local bikes vs overseas

price of cyclelab vs other local stores

got a friend who just went to his boets wedding in the states last month. Bought himself a GF at half the local price here, effectively paid for his flight. and with worldwide warranty on the frame, what's the problem?

Has anyone ever heard of CycleLab's policy that they will equal any written quote? I have used this twice, saved thousands, and as a bonus, got awesome service for free! There is no need to pay more than what you have to, if you use their cool policy!

"At present Cyclelab has tied up all stock coming into SA"

Atraut now you know how they do it. No one can match their quote because they have all the stock Based on Tokoloshe point of view of course :D .

On another note.

DO NOT GET A GF FROM ANYONE!!!!

Why? because the agent's support is K......K got a mate that is still trying to get his frame replaced after what is it now 4/5 months........

WTF, he has been in contact with all and sundry, including the principal in overseas land. They say work through the distributor. OK so after 3 months worth of fighting the get him a frame and guess what.......... It is the wrong size!!

So another month later he is still waiting.

However if CL can sort out the support then ...........who knows....