Wheel advice, help!

wesley_r

My front wheel has really taken a beating, the back is going to follow suite soon, so I need to replace my wheels pronto - and by pronto I mean in the next couple of days! (going to Eselfontein on the weekend)!

The current wheels are WTB rims (dunno what model) on Formula hubs (again, dunno the model) - cheap wheelset that came stock on my Mongoose Tyax

I need something that can handle a big guy (115kg) that enjoys a lot of singletrack, and tends to exercise very little caution - i.e. tough and reliable wheels a must, need to handle abuse! (sounds like a dodgy dating ad)

Option 1:

keep the existing hubs, lace on either a Mavic EN521 or Alex Supra BH with new spokes (the cheapest option)

Option 2: buy a new wheelset "off the shelf"

- On-One: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.za/pON%20ONE%20MODEL%20D%2026ER%20WHEELS/On-One-Model-D-26er-Wheels.aspx

or

- Fulcrum Red metal 5s: http://www.buycycle.co.za/buyparts/wheelsets-mtb/fulcrum/fulcrum-mtb-wheelset-red-metal-5-fulcrum.html

or

- Red Metal 10s: http://www.buycycle.co.za/buyparts/wheelsets-mtb/fulcrum/fulcrum-mtb-wheelset-red-metal-10-6-bolts-fulcrum.html

Option 3: build up a wheelset

- hubs, either Shimano XT or NovaTec disc (cheaper) or Hope Pro 2 (more expensive)

- rims: Alex Supra BH, Mavic EN521 or DT Swiss X455

I'd like to keep it all under R2500 - so the Hope option isn't looking good. I don't know enough about the aforementioned products to make an informed decision, so any advice would be appreciated.

Currently I am leaning heavily towards the Mavic EN521 on either the NovaTec or Shimano hubs... but the On-Ones and Fulcrums on those specials are cheaper...

help!

You cant go wrong with the red metal 5's, I have a set thats two years old, and all I needed to replace only once so far is the bearings. (this will go for any hub)

I killed my red metal 5 front wheel within a week from buying it. The local suppliers don't have rims as spares, and couldnt give me a front wheel on its own. I ended up building a new wheel.

Unless you ride like a fairy stay away. Id suggest sticking to 32h wheels.

Apparently novatec spares are a mission to get hold of. And I know the Supra rims are strong, but pretty heavy. Don't make a hasty decisions because of eselfontein. Rather straighten them as much as possible than invest in the wrong wheels.

Don't make a hasty decisions because of eselfontein. Rather straighten them as much as possible than invest in the wrong wheels.

That's what I'm thinking. The biggest issue is that 5-10 spokes are loose, bent and the nipples are stripped. I am thinking of just replacing those spokes and getting the wheel as true as possible for now. It comes from a big knock I took a while back where I bent the wheel down the middle about 7 degrees! LBS managed to straighten out but the spokes only held for so long...

Other option, as I've said, is to simply lace the Mavic EN521 onto the existing hubs, with new spokes. No sense in replacing the hubs if they're still running fine. There's something that bugs me about putting a R3k wheelset on a 6k bike - just feels like overkill :D

There is a 2nd hand set of Mavic 317's in the classifieds section, They seem ok :)

Edited by Caerus

There is a 2nd hand set of Mavic 317's in the classifieds section, They seem ok :)

In fact - there are 2 sets! However, I've taken a look at (a brand new) 317 rim, and it's a very narrow rim. Perfect for normal XC riding, and all reviews I've read say they're a great entry level rim, but personally I think I'll kill them as quickly as I killed the WTBs currently on the bike.

I'd rather repair the front, and shop around some more for a worthy replacement. Some nice options on CRC as well, including a special price on the Spank Subrosa rims (in bright green, yeah baby!)_

contact John Borman (Yellow saddle) he did an amazing job with my wheels. (turned spoke breaking wheels into bom proof racing wheels)

Thanks for all the advice guys. After taking the wheels off last night, and stripping them of rotors and tires, I came to the conclusion that the front rim had to go - simply respoking it was not going to sort it out, it was kaput.

I popped into Geco Cycles this morning and had a long chat to Bradley, who was all to happy to answer my many questions. At last we settled on the Alex Supra BH, to be relaced onto my existing hubs with new DT Swiss spokes. All in, for the rims, spokes and labour for both wheel (including servicing the hubs), it's costing me R1700, which is not too bad. I get the wheels back on Thursday (fingers crossed) just in time for Eselfontein!

Sure, the Supra BH's are going to make the wheelset heavier, but hey, I am no weight weenie, and am hard on my stuff! This was a grudge purchase to start off with, but now I'm looking forward to having a tougher wheelset that I can roll on with confidence!