Ironman is for sissies

fandacious

Guest agteros

If you google the book born to run you will find various links to places selling sandals.

Malkoppe I tell you, the Vibram's at least have tread and they keep the foot quite secure, closest to running barefoot, especially the Bikila.

I agree 100%, friend of mine goes up to 1/2 marathon in his "Jesus sandals". Another bloke at club does grass interval sessions barefoot, and road races in sandals...

Crazy, ALL of them (not going to tell them in their faces though, can't outrun them)

Wonder what type of footwear the monks run in?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest agteros

Just Googled Vibram

I can't see someone running Comrades in a pair

chris_w_65, I know of somebody who did it in a pair of self made sandals (http://jprunner.co.z...ch-commentary). He made the front page of one off the local newspapers apparently. Looks crazy if he pitches at a track session with his Championchip strapped to those sandals!

EDIT: Read this article as well, confirming the 'event' by the Sandal Boy himself: http://jprunner.co.za/content/reply-erics-comrades-2010

Edited by agteros

Ironman 2009 World Champ stats, using 1653 complete results of those that completed the event http://ironman.com/e...m#axzz12jaESvgJ

44% had the run as their best discipline

31% had the swim as their best discipline

25% had the cycle as their best discipline

'their best' being the highest position overall for the specific discipline within the competition

Guess the saying that the ironman is a running event, where you have to swim and cycle to get to the start is true? ;)

I think in order for it to be truely gauged as "their best", you would have to consider their overall position as well, i.e. did "their best" boost them to a better position overall?

Also, from what I have observed, it's easier for cyclists to become runners, than runners to become cyclists.

Here's a link to an article discussing barefoot running:http://www.trainingpeaks.com/bbs-forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=60430&posts=1

I see what they are saying but they don't explain whether it's heel strikers only that complain or not

Any of us will get injury's and most of the time it's because we overdo it, do any sport sensibly and within limits and the risk of injury will be much lower.

I did a 110 k's of running last week, all with gentle pace, and touch wood, not a single injury.

Also, from what I have observed, it's easier for cyclists to become runners, than runners to become cyclists.

Why would you say that? A Comrades runner could probably cycle Argus but I doubt an Argus cyclist could run Comrades

Guest agteros

Why would you say that? A Comrades runner could probably cycle Argus but I doubt an Argus cyclist could run Comrades

Agree cw65, a bit of running (20-30km) per week, and then some cycling every second weekend stood me in great stead. Would not want to cycle 100-150km per week (roughly 4x running distance), with a run every second weekend and then go attempt a half marathon or longer.

My observation is that injured cyclists do not become runners, although injured runners take up cycling with great comfort and success.

Not talking about endurance athletes, but your regular John Q. Public. I train with a lot of triathletes, and there are a lot of runners that get in to it because they're looking for cross training. They can run a 5K pace of say 5:30min/km, but when they start biking they're only biking at about 25kph, and it takes a lot of hard work for them to get better. On the flipside, when there are bikers that start out running, they can bike at about 32kph, and easily start off running at a pace of about 6min/km for a 5K. Obviously no scientific study, I just see it happen more often than not.

Guest agteros

I think in order for it to be truely gauged as "their best", you would have to consider their overall position as well, i.e. did "their best" boost them to a better position overall?

Of the 1653, 130 had an higher overall position than position in any single discipline.

I started off as a runner then switched to walking and cycling. Only cycling at the moment after a long break

I find running and walking to be boring, cycling is much more fun but you probably have to put in 3 times the amount of training to get the same out of cycling as running.

Its much easier for a runner to become a cyclist. Runners have a higher cardio output than cyclists because their weight isn't supported by a saddle, and if they do hill running, this tranlates very well into climbing on the bike, since similar muscles are used. I used to hurt most going into the running leg of my tri's, and since I stopped some years ago, I have cycled with ex-runners and am not surprised at how quickly they adapt and start putting up great times.

Swimmers have their bodies suspended in water so are the least advantaged in terms of transitting to cycling and even less to running.

Edited by Yang

Its much easier for a runner to become a cyclist. Runners have a higher cardio output than cyclists because their weight isn't supported by a saddle, and if they do hill running, this tranlates very well into climbing on the bike, since similar muscles are used. I used to hurt most going into the running leg of my tri's, and since I stopped some years ago, I have cycled with ex-runners and am not surprised at how quickly they adapt and start putting up great times.

Swimmers have their bodies suspended in water so are the least advantaged in terms of transitting to cycling and even less to running.

I have to agree with you on the swimmers have a very hard time running, but swimmers make some of your best cyclists. Swimming really developes your core strength and helps a lot with climbing hills and attacking on a bike ride.