Cycling SA 2011 Road Racing Regulations

Pundit

Has anyone else seen the recently released 2011 road racing regulations? I don't think the Vets will be happy. The rules seem completely bizarre to me, the groupings don't make sense and it forces an unrealistic pro-team type scenario on the local non-pro scene. If you aren't part of a registered team (with UCI rider contracts and licensed manager), you appear to have ride in the non-licensed / seeded categories. I can't see a huge benefit for our elite riders in the new system and don't see the point of forcing Vets to race with elites (unless we are trying to improve the standard of Vet racing which i wasn't aware was (or should be) a big SA cycling priority). Wouldn't a more logical change have been to go to a simple strength based system as they do overseas and get the pro's here riding longer and harder races? Anyway, here is an extract from the new regulations:

Local Registered Racing Categories

Cycling SA will introduce three categories of racing from 2011 onwards. These three categories will be applicable in all National Series, A and B class events:

Category 1: Elite & U23 Men, Veteran 30+ Men (Teams), Junior Men

Category 2: Veteran 30+ (non Cat 1), Women Riders (Jnr, Elite & Veteran), National Junior Women Team, Veteran 40+ Men

Category 3 (separate optional race): Individual entry: U16 Men & Women, Jnr Men & Women (not part of top clubs), and PDI U23. Host an additional criterium type event for these riders to add to their cycling skills. This will be within the allowed distances stipulated by the T&D Commission.

For any National Series, A or B class event, there will be only 3 registered racing groups with Commissaires, judges and time-keepers.

Each group will have overall Prize Funding. Category prizing will be applicable to the sub – categories as well. Top Clubs with the same name / clothing will not be allowed to start in the same Category event, but will be able to have another team in a different Category.

The rest of the field will be divided into the Cycling for All groups as per choice of each organizer I.e. seeded (ranked) groups from A downwards.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if we are under 23's who are not members of pro teams (but can keep up at all the races) we can't ride against them?

They have also tried to charge clubs R 500 for an annual fee. This has been put on hold as all the provinces are up in arms. They will kill a dying sport and everyone will go to MTB

So if we are under 23's who are not members of pro teams (but can keep up at all the races) we can't ride against them?

Correct. Cocked up hey?

So much for their 2020 vision......I see a LOT of young potential that is going to fall through the cracks...... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

So a search.....it has been discussed here....

Most of the Hubbers don't give a crap as all of us are only funriders and will fall into open bunches.....

For you poor racing boys it is a different story and racing as you know it is going to change.....

I just think the change is STUPID and MONEY driven.....and still I see AGE mentioned a lot of times up on top.........

Sad.

Edited by Spinnekop

Sounds bizarre!

They should just keep it like it is currently but make it so if you want to ride in Elites and Vets you need a licence. Open categories should not need licences. In all the years of riding in open and having a cyclosport licence I have only been asked for it once at registration.

I am not signed to a Pro team, mainly because I come from CT (trying to get a degree first)and we don't really have them down here (except VETS). So any major races I want to go and do I have to ride seeded (when I can keep up with Pro's) basically allowing me to fall through the cracks and not get noticed and leave all the pro contracts to those that already have them... Thats crazy!

CSA wants to develop Cycling in SA. This is good.

They get a crapload of money from us normal bunch......USE it!!!

• Create a racing bunch aged 18-50
  • All prize money goes to this group
  • ONE group
  • NO team....and if the MUST bring in teams, get the youngsters together that does not have a team and CSA must supply the infrastructure, i.e management, support cars etc....if not, BUGGER off with the team idea!!!
  • Longer rides for the race group
  • EVERY ONE ELSE falls under funriders. A, B, C, D etc.
  • Races can allocate trophies and prizes to the A, B, C's if they want to.

So your options will show:

Enter as Pro/Elite or Open

THATS THAT.

Instead they are FU$*^^ around again with age.....develop the sport dammit....ou toppies hoort nie op 150km races nie!!!!!!!! And old toppies is NOT going to help your 2020 thingiemajing....

Why do they do this? Forcing it though?

MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with all this.....eks redelik gatvol vir dom denke........

Category 2 it is for me then.

If I wanted to race against the elites I would simply take out an elite licence.

Bunch sizes are going to be interesting.

unless i read it wrong, category 2 still requires being part of a team though, which is part of the problem as the team criteria is too onerous

Cat 2 is going to be huge and how can they expect a junior woman and a 40 + plus woman to be expected to race with the likes of Graeme Cronje, Andrew McLean anc co?

Category 2 it is for me then.

If I wanted to race against the elites I would simply take out an elite licence.

Bunch sizes are going to be interesting.

Why race Cat 2 then? Its going to be a 40+ party? Who are you going to race? All the prize money and podium spots for the 30-39 cat is in "Cat 1"

So basicly you are going to join me in Cat 2 to check out the chicks?!! :D :thumbup:

unless i read it wrong, category 2 still requires being part of a team though, which is part of the problem as the team criteria is too onerous

They need the money...!! R1500 per "team entry"....that is on TOP of your R75 and your R350 race licence.....Nice...... :thumbup:

If only we can learn a bit from the African culture and stand together irrespective of who's wife has the best implants and boycott the Cat racing scene (From a Vets perspective)....

We all pay our R75 for the year and everyone races A, B, C....... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cat 2 is going to be huge and how can they expect a junior woman and a 40 + plus woman to be expected to race with the likes of Graeme Cronje, Andrew McLean anc co?

I think the ladies will be fine....it worked quite well in the "Super Series" we had a couple of years back!

Why race Cat 2 then? Its going to be a 40+ party? Who are you going to race? All the prize money and podium spots for the 30-39 cat is in "Cat 1"

So basicly you are going to join me in Cat 2 to check out the chicks?!! :D :thumbup:

Well they might as well just give Black Rock the prize money at the start of the season :)

:o

Well they might as well just give Black Rock the prize money at the start of the season :)

I think BRock is going to be the ONLY team riding there......! Good luck boys!

Ons sal die 'agterhoede dek' :thumbup: