wide feet on road pedals - SORTED

Mongoose!

I am a tall guy (1.9m) and wears a size 12 shoe.

Bought some new road shoes (Scott Team) that fits perfectly.

Screwed on the cleats to the shoes...

The cleats are positioned most to the inside of my feet to maximize the clearance between my feet and the cranks.

But no space between my feet and the cranks ....

I will not be able to pedal like that

Seems like the axle of the pedal is too short... at least 2cm. (have wide feet...)

Now my question.

Do you get different sizes of pedals in terms of the axle length?

If you get different road shoe sizes, you should get different axle lengths?

How can size 5 shoe use the same pedal as a size 12?

Currently use some old look pedals (generation before the Keo (think it is 586 or something).

My old shoes are Diadora shoes have more than 3 holes on the sole that means you have more options to position the cleat.

My old pedals and shoes are now about 8 years old and I thought I only upgrade the shoes.

seems like I have to get some new pedals as well.

any advice please???

Edited by Mongoose!

I am not aware of pedals with loner axles but check out Speedplay like Edman suggested. A quick web search should do the trick.

However, I do know that in the US where Bigfoot himself lives, you can get pedal extenders. There are little extension axles you screw in between the crank and pedal.

It is an esoteric item but is available for both popular pedal axle thread sizes. The big advantage is than you can use the pedal of your choice.

Contact the guys at Harris Cyclery in Boston, US. The website is the obvious one. They have an online sales division but readily answer calls or e-mail about specific questions.

Another source would be Loose Screws - again the obvious web address.

The postage from the US is prohibitive but if you decide to import from Harris, let me know and I'll share postage with you on some brake blocks I want to get from there.

Edited by Johan Bornman

I am not aware of pedals with loner axles but check out Speedplay like Edman suggested. A quick web search should do the trick.

However, I do know that in the US where Bigfoot himself lives, you can get pedal extenders. There are little extension axles you screw in between the crank and pedal.

It is an esoteric item but is available for both popular pedal axle thread sizes. The big advantage is than you can use the pedal of your choice.

Contact the guys at Harris Cyclery in Boston, US. The website is the obvious one. They have an online sales division but readily answer calls or e-mail about specific questions.

Another source would be Loose Screws - again the obvious web address.

The postage from the US is prohibitive but if you decide to import from Harris, let me know and I'll share postage with you on some brake blocks I want to get from there.

http://www.kneesaver.net/

That's the one. I had a good laugh at their website. On there the man (a full-blooded American, he tells us) says he once made one of these things for a 500 pound man who required an extra 12 inches of pedal extension. Good grief.

I think the problem is solved.

Keo 2 Max and Keo Blade axle threads are now 14mm in length. This allows a Q factor adjustment of an additional 2mm using a specific washer (available as spare part). It increases the Q Factor from 53mm to 55mm. Problem solved!

Edited by Mr LOOK

Thanks for all the inputs.

Got sorted for now

44 gram each

For the first time in my cycling career I will be able to position my cleats in the middle of my shoe!!!! :clap:

post-7189-059230100 1288982058.jpg

Edited by Mongoose!