Carinus' COO position under review?

Breeze

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So last nite I bumped into Lawrence and guess what...he reads the Hub. I stuttered a bit when his opening line was about my postings but we had a nice chat. He's a good guy but has no clue of whats going on. Didnt even know that his statements contradicted Bellairs. I also told him what I think of the office and the smoking. I heard a birdie that sylvia Dale got another job offer.Big%20smile

I think his problem with Carinus was that he must support the board that appointed him, not talk against them. So if you work for a company, do you listen to the boss or the client? And if the client complains, do you critisize the boss/es?

The other problem that the board has is that we, the cyclists nominate people on commissions and selection panels, and if those people we nominated do a *** job, thats what he sits with.

I agree, we must nominate better people.

I seem to remember two or more years ago this same conversation on this same board and everyone saying, "he is new, give this guy a chance and give that guy a chance" - now here we are two (or more) years later saying "he still needs more time" "give him a chance" etc.

Well, you know what - I say - HOW LONG do you need.?

The longer people are given to do things, the longer they will take, there needs to be pressure applied to get things done quickly, maybe the pressure is starting, I dont know, but in my opinion its long overdue.

the biggest problem is that the decision makers (who should be transparent/close to cyclists/ears to the ground) are not full time employees. with all due respect to the staff of CSA they are just paid to do a their job to implement procedures and policy but are clueless about the practical side of cycling. the various selectors / commissioners are spread all around the country. how can anyone expect to operate like this.  

Tsk Tsk. I see the editor SB  is having a say. What about a detailed article/open letter to the president LW in your magazine expressing concerns.

How about contacting and interviewing Wayne Pomario, remember the disillusioned young turk administrator who up and left for Canada. Today runs a successful setup and in fact was the overall head honch at Jnr Worlds. He is a paid employee...... We need such a person/people like we have in rugby and other sports whose job it is to get results on and off the races with short and long term goals like improving our cyclists and national UCI ranking, growing and improving the sport(s) etc etc.

Problem with the Hub is that only a few people are active/involved in the posts. I doubt the sponsors read the posts but maybe they get a copy of the magazines........

We need people who are committed to cycling, proud South Africans who want to see our athletes succeed. People such as race organisers with a potential conflict of interests should be EXCLUDED by the Constitution and not protected by it.

Hmm, Buckstopper, dont you maybe think that opinions posted here are a microcosm of the industry in general?

Certainly I would say that posts here reflect a general trend, thought pattern, opinion of the average recreational cyclist.

I am not naive enough to believe posts here (or any board for that matter) will influence any decision, but I would guess as a rule of thumb, its certainly a place to express, displeasure, interest or commend decisions for the recreational majority who possibly arnt really interested in the politics of the sport but who ARE effected by any national decision.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day

I am not naive enough to believe posts here (or any board for that matter) will influence any decision' date=' but I would guess as a rule of thumb, its certainly a place to express, displeasure, interest or commend decisions for the recreational majority who possibly aren't really interested in the politics of the sport but who ARE effected by any national decision.

[/quote']

While I agree that bitching and moaning on a forum rarely has any affect, you have to remember that The Hub is by far the biggest cycling community in South Africa, and is frequented by a number of club - and provincial chairmen and other people with considerable clout in cycling that do have a say in the next election. That in itself, should worry some people enough to consider seppuku

There are too many factors you have to take into account that you have no control over...The most important factor you can keep in your own hands is yourself.

...mmm.......now who said that...? eddie i think.........

(and he ..."mr Coo" did)