Crossmax SLR build

TwoBob

Hi

I am building a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels. I have read that when building normal wheels its a good idea to lightly oil the spoke threads and rim eyelets (Roger Musson - Professional Guide to Wheelbuilding 5th Edition - www.wheelpro.co.uk). QUOTE: "The purpose of the oil is to reduce friction and allow the nipple to be tightened to achieve the correct tension in the spoke".

Any wheel builders out there that would know if the same applies to the Mavic's or if something else should be used?

Thanks

I am no wheel builder, so am not sure about oil.

I would imagine that you dont want thread lock, but you do want an anti sieze agent of sorts.

Thanks Splat

Anyone else got any ideas??

Watch your nipple / spoke combo.

Aloy nipple with s/steel spokes can corrode, so an oil as recommended by the site is definately a good bet here.

Best of to use either a S/Steel nipple or better yet a brass one (Brass has natural "oiling" type properties with a little oil.

Wait for JB's comment as I am sure it would be worthwhile hearing.

Hairy

Hairy

You dont get a choice with the SLR spokes they come with the "nipple" already on the spoke and I believe both the rim and spoke are aluminium (stand to be corrected) and that they do have corrosion and seizing issues.

Yes, was hoping JB would come to the party with some wisdom ;)

Hairy

You dont get a choice with the SLR spokes they come with the "nipple" already on the spoke and I believe both the rim and spoke are aluminium (stand to be corrected) and that they do have corrosion and seizing issues.

Yes, was hoping JB would come to the party with some wisdom ;)

As I understand it the 2010 or 2011 range of Mavic spokes come with a dual compound type of a nipple that has a different material where the spoke threads in to avoid possible corrosion.

If you look at some older wheelsets from Mavic where they used the bladed spoke you will find that some of the spokes are "twisted" as when having to true the wheels the nipples/spokes have bonded due to the corrosion and the whole spoke twists when the nipples are tightened.

H

Hi

I am building a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels. I have read that when building normal wheels its a good idea to lightly oil the spoke threads and rim eyelets (Roger Musson - Professional Guide to Wheelbuilding 5th Edition - www.wheelpro.co.uk). QUOTE: "The purpose of the oil is to reduce friction and allow the nipple to be tightened to achieve the correct tension in the spoke".

Any wheel builders out there that would know if the same applies to the Mavic's or if something else should be used?

Thanks

The first couple of times I rode my Mavics through dust you could clearly see that the dust was sticking to a small area around each spoke nipple indicating that they had been lubricated during assembly - these were factory new wheels.

The OP asks a difficult question. Oil is right for standard wheels but Mavics are different. Friction is generally not a problem, especially if you use new spokes. Therefore, oil is of little use and will wash out in anyway. I put a little bit of anti-seize compount on them to attempt to avoid later corrosion. Whether it works, I can't say. I haven't seen those wheels again to open them up and check.

Either way, it is a crappy system with zero benefits.

Thanks all for your input - seems like an anti seize compound is the way to go, but I will drop Roger M an email as well and see what he says.

cheers :thumbup:

Hi TwoBob, I am very curious why you are building a set of SLR's. As far as I know SLR's are ready built 'factory' wheels and not a build option from Mavic. Having only seen Mavic rims for sale, where did you get the SLR hubs from?