Prestige Ulltra

mrmed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

difficult to judge what the water temp will be .... sometimes the water temp actually goes up when it rains :) might want to bring a snorkel with for the cycle and the run though :lol: lets hope it clears up for the race tomorrow

because of the distance it is a wetsuit swim, but the wetsuit is not compulsary. If you require detail info you can contact 083 4343 515 - spectumsport

difficult to judge what the water temp will be .... sometimes the water temp actually goes up when it rains :) might want to bring a snorkel with for the cycle and the run though :lol: lets hope it clears up for the race tomorrow

Weather report last night said this will only clear up on Friday...

because of the distance it is a wetsuit swim, but the wetsuit is not compulsary. If you require detail info you can contact 083 4343 515 - spectumsport

I was on the BSG website earlier this week and it says that the water temp has to be below 22C before it becomes wetsuit legal...:huh:

As for the weather - I think it will be cold and wet, no need to strip off the wetsuit (if we get to use them) for the bike and run :(

Chances are they might even turn it into a dualthlon since the Vaal is pumping at the moment and therefore could be a safety risk

I was on the BSG website earlier this week and it says that the water temp has to be below 22C before it becomes wetsuit legal...:huh:

As for the weather - I think it will be cold and wet, no need to strip off the wetsuit (if we get to use them) for the bike and run :(

Chances are they might even turn it into a dualthlon since the Vaal is pumping at the moment and therefore could be a safety risk

who is your source regarding the decision to make it a duathlon? the vaal isnt pumping at the moment because no sluces have been opened as yet??

Oh NOOOOOOO.... and what would the distances be, 10/40/5...

i got the info directly from the organiser this morning. are you talking about the olympic or the ultra distance and the race being turned into a dueathlon? ill make contact with them again and get the full detail now

Edited by IceAngel

i got the info directly from the organiser this morning. are you talking about the olympic or the ultra distance and the race being turned into a dueathlon? ill make contact with them again and get the full detail now

the race is definitely wetsuit legal on both the olympic and the ultra distance :thumbup: but its not compulsary and the word going around that the race will be turned into a dueathlon is absolutely not true. :thumbdown: like i said to confirm contact spectrumspor (organisers)directly 0834343515

who is your source regarding the decision to make it a duathlon? the vaal isnt pumping at the moment because no sluces have been opened as yet??

Faceplant the race is wetsuit legal for both the ultra and the olympic - not Compulsary ;)

Faceplant the race is wetsuit legal for both the ultra and the olympic - not Compulsary ;)

Clearly the guys from BSG and Spectrum have not been chatting to each other, because this is taken directly from the race rules section of the event:

Swim

• It is compulsory for all athletes to wear a brightly coloured swimming cap.
  • Wetsuits will only be permitted if the water temperature is below 22 degrees. The water temperature will be confirmed on the day.

http://www.bsgmultisport.co.za/events/bsg-olympic-distance-triathlon/race-rules

I am happy to be proven wrong as it would suck if we had to race without wetsuits.

As far as the assumption regarding the duathlon is concerned...just an assumption from my side, based on the massive amounts of rain in the last few days and the fact that the river is apparently flowing at 40 cumecs (info provided by an avid flyfishing friend) which makes it virtually impossible to stand in, so the swim might be a little tough. However, don't take my word for it, I just assumed that if there was any risk at all, they would revert to a duathlon...which would not be cool!!

the rules you refering to on the BSG website are generic triathlon rules, in ultra distance races wetsuits are usually permitted and in some compulsary. Regarding the flow of the river... you have to take into consideration where the flow was measured, believe me we have had races in the vaal where there the water was pumping severely and the swim was fine... remember you swim upstream and downstream so if the water is flowing strongly the downstream part is a breeze :D

to sum things up! regardless of the weather the race will go on and it will be a triathlon

Edited by Face Plant

the rules you refering to on the BSG website are generic triathlon rules, in ultra distance races wetsuits are usually permitted and in some compulsary. Regarding the flow of the river... you have to take into consideration where the flow was measured, believe me we have had races in the vaal where there the water was pumping severely and the swim was fine... remember you swim upstream and downstream so if the water is flowing strongly the downstream part is a breeze :D

to sum things up! regardless of the weather the race will go on and it will be a triathlon

Since the rules were specifically posted in the Olympic distance event's section, I assumed that they were applying these rules to the Olympic distance...which did confuse me, as I assumed it was wetsuit legal.

Anyway, now that we've all got that sorted we can go back to preparing for tomorrow...where did I pack my scuba gear??? :D

Cool. I have been stressing about the wetsuit part because I also saw on the website about the 22 degrees.....

As for the duathlon..... I CANT RUN 30KM's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CANNOT COMPARE SWIMMING FOR 35 MINUTES TO AN HOURS RUNNING (10KM'S) THATS JUST CRAZY!!

Since the rules were specifically posted in the Olympic distance event's section, I assumed that they were applying these rules to the Olympic distance...which did confuse me, as I assumed it was wetsuit legal.

Anyway, now that we've all got that sorted we can go back to preparing for tomorrow...where did I pack my scuba gear??? :D

it will be a good race - Goodluck for tommorrow Thumper: