94.7 ladies race

Tjokkits

so again cherise taylor wins the race but the race results show two girls beating her by 2 mins at least so i dont understand: who is the real winner? if those girls who had a better time joined the girl pack surely they would have done as well?

Timed Fun Ride / Race vs Licensed Racing...

I am sure it's been debated before, there was the same question on another thread about the elite mens time? Doubt they know their time, but they will know who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Cherise.

Its easy for a good woman rider in group C or D to draft behind a group of guys and get a very good time (maybe even better than the winners).

Also the open groups are working consistently to keep a high speed, while the racing groups are accelerating/ attacking to try and win - time isn't important

It's possible. But the girls starting in the racing bunch do not have men to draft with in the group. Cherise's winning time and the time of the ladies lead group is a real reflection of their pace, bar any assistance. so you are not comparing apples with apples IMHO.

Also, average funriders in most seeded race groups don't really experience aggressive bunch surges and attacks that see your heart rate shoot through the roof. It's at this point that riders get dropped from the bunch, and then for the most part they have to ride solo to the finish, as they aren't allowed to join any passing licenced groups. They can only join in with other dropped licenced riders or passing seeded groups.

As always I quote a hubber who is no longer here (sadly .....)

If you think you can beat the elite ladies/men enter their race, they will do enough to win (i.e. they would have upped their game ....)! For the rest of you/us that are interested in 'time' there's the alphabet soup :rolleyes:

Cherise.

Its easy for a good woman rider in group C or D to draft behind a group of guys and get a very good time (maybe even better than the winners).

Also the open groups are working consistently to keep a high speed, while the racing groups are accelerating/ attacking to try and win - time isn't important

Well explained.

I was under the impression that ladies were not allowed to start in groups A, B or C ? Or is that just a guideline ?

It does not only happen to the ladies. I ride in one of the older vets groups and a lot of guys our age in the open groups get faster times - as said above drafting in a steadily paced group with strong young riders looking for good times will get you to the finish faster than than a bunch of old guys playing out team tactics for a win. I know, most of my training buddies finished quicker (and less exhausted) than I did.

I've ridden in both open and licensed ladies bunches. Best times and easiest rides were done in the open groups I started with. Most satisfying were the times I finished with the bunch in licensed ladies because I had to work my butt off to stick with them.