Black day for cycling in SA

Guest Big H

I tend to agree with the CSA - bring on a month of racing in SA early in the year. Most pros are getting their legs together and are looking for better weather...

In November most pros are kicking back with their families and not riding a heap load - none of them would ne keen on the 10 hour flight to SA for a 3 or 4 day race.

That said - I do love politics in SA cycling. The PPA and CSA are the two biggest organisations in SA cycling and yet they seem to communicate only via media. They agrue - we lose - it's been going on for years and years and years and years and years and years. One has the numbers the other has the UCI affiliation and nary the two shall meet.

In my 20 years of racing I have never had a positive interaction with SACF/CSA and the only involvement with PPA has been their fun ride in Cape Town once a year.

So here is an appeal to CSA and PPA - please sort your *** out and use my license money to bring the Tour of South Africa to life. I for one would love to see top notch racers doing their stuff in SA. The Giro opened the door - please have a sit down and see how we can take it to the next level rather than lose the Giro AND not have the Tour of SA happen.

That whole politics thing goes all the way back to the regime days of SACF.

I guess you didn't read your own link :unsure:

Ok sorry, my confusion and it may become reality....... I read it again ....albeit slower this time, it seems more that Dave B is suurtiet because the Tour took his sponsor???????

Perhaps if Mr Bellairs spent less time doing a Tiger Woods, he would be able to find sponsors for the the Giro. He's a prime example of everything that's wrong with cycling in SA.

Having said that the budget for the Tour of South Africa is considerably bigger than the Giro's - with all the publicity around the Tour of SA, isn't it disconcerting that no sponsors has been named? Seriously, if I was dropping a couple of mill into an event I would like my companies' name plastered all over the press releases. The only conclusion I can come to is that there is no sponsors yet.

Edited by Napalm

Perhaps if Mr Bellairs spent less time doing a Tiger Woods, he would be able to find sponsors for the the Giro. He's a prime example of everything that's wrong with cycling in SA.

Having said that the budget for the Tour of South Africa is considerably bigger than the Giro's - with all the publicity around the Tour of SA, isn't it disconcerting that no sponsors has been named? Seriously, if I was dropping a couple of mill into an event I would like my companies' name plastered all over the press releases. The only conclusion I can come to is that there is no sponsors yet.

That's why i asked earlier...surely if there was it would be all over local and Int media.

This year it was off again - on again a few times, then ended up a cosy invite only who's who, but will be missed, esp. the lat day time trial which was always exciting to watch on Signal Hill or the Nek.

I think what Till said is a bit more believable than what Bellairs said. Having them close together would get teams to race both and be logistically better for visiting teams. It would then be much more attractive and possibly be more inviting for overseas teams.

What you say is true, but it's not about getting teams here,

having them close together; you won't get the sponsorship mileage required!

On a similar note... We got the word earlier today that we have lost a potentially big tender to a large corporate. Everybody in the office was pretty down until one colleague said: "well, that's probably a good thing - now we will have more resources available when a bigger job comes around next month"

This super optimistic comment made me thinking different about things since.

Maybe some other organizer(s) will take this opportunity to start a better event at a better time of year that can attract a "pro-tour" field?

Must also admit, I didn't like the name anyway

David B has been calling the shots too long in SA, remove him and SA cycling will change for the better. Yes, he has done good things for cycling, but he has outlived his shelf life. Time for someone new and fresh