Garmin - does it suck?

chris_w_65

I think the number two I posted in the "Check out this 1" thread has more accurate data than my Garmin 310XT (let me know if I need to re post it here)

The heart rate graphs are a joke, on most rides they show sections where my heart rate varies from 200 to 240 and this messes up the scale of the graph so it is meaningless

Even worse was the speed and moving time data from the 94.7. The moving time is about 11 minutes less than my actual time. I stopped twice at waterpoints for less than a minute each time. The data from the speed says I stopped many times. Check the graph.

Unfortunately I will never know if future data I get from the Garmin is faulty. The 94.7 is kind of unique as there are no stops except for the two I made. When riding to the spruit and at the spruit there are many stops on the route and obviously I can't remember them all to compare with the data afterwards.

I would have posted one of the heart rate graphs here but their site is down so I can't get it.

post-18048-0-72812000-1291923336.jpg

Edited by chris_w_65

maybe your firmware is out of date? There were a couple of bugs with earlier versions of firmware, and I have had no problems with my 310xt...

That was with 2.90 I think. A couple of days later it said I must upgade to 3.0 so I did. Unfortunately due to injury I can't test it out. The other problem with testing is as explained above. The only way I can think of testing it is to ride to the end of my road and back and there should only be one stop at the half way point but 4km may not be sufficient for a conclusive test

WRT the HR - Try get the newest HR Belts, as they have been trying to improve the belts with less spiking etc. and also try some gel on the contacts

Read this -> http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.html

My Garmin is a couple of months old so I assume it has the latest strap. I wanted to try my Polar strap as they suggest on dcrainmaker but it does not fit. For some reason unknown to me it is very different.

Edited by chris_w_65

My Garmin is a couple of months old so I assume it has the latest strap. I wanted to try my Polar strap as they suggest on dcrainmaker but it does not fit. For some reason unknown to me it is very different.

Here is a pic of my Polar strap that doesn't fit

post-18048-0-15669800-1291924962.jpg

That was with 2.90 I think. A couple of days later it said I must upgade to 3.0 so I did. Unfortunately due to injury I can't test it out. The other problem with testing is as explained above. The only way I can think of testing it is to ride to the end of my road and back and there should only be one stop at the half way point but 4km may not be sufficient for a conclusive test

I don't think you even need to do a specific test. Look at the number of times your speed abruptly drops to zero and then immediately comes back up on your speed plot. That alone indicates that something is not right and is likely the cause of the incorrect stopped time.

I don't think you even need to do a specific test. Look at the number of times your speed abruptly drops to zero and then immediately comes back up on your speed plot. That alone indicates that something is not right and is likely the cause of the incorrect stopped time.

I guess if I do a test ride of minimum 15 minutes with no stops I will be able to check for faulty data. 15 minutes seems to be the longest period on the graph without a fault

I guess if I do a test ride of minimum 15 minutes with no stops I will be able to check for faulty data. 15 minutes seems to be the longest period on the graph without a fault

That should work, but you might also try a longer ride to be sure. It looks like the problem only becomes really bad after 60-90min.

That should work, but you might also try a longer ride to be sure. It looks like the problem only becomes really bad after 60-90min.

It is pretty bad in the first 20 minutes too

Here is a pic of my Polar strap that doesn't fit

Apparently I need the older Polar Wearlink + strap if I want to try it on the Garmin HRM transmitter. On dcrainmaker they say it works better than the Garmin strap. Price for said strap - R170.00

I will test as is now that I have done the firmware upgrade and see how it goes.

post-18048-0-35205300-1291975661.jpg

I tried to get my Garmin to suck, but it refused! (Apparantly not that type of gadget!) But other than that, it does all the other cycling related stuff it was made to do, very well! :blush:

I tried to get my Garmin to suck, but it refused! (Apparantly not that type of gadget!) But other than that, it does all the other cycling related stuff it was made to do, very well! :blush:

Just remembered, I know a Carmen who does!:lol:

I asked Garmin if when outdoors does the Garmin 310XT get its speed data from GPS or the speed/cadence sensor.

Here is the reply

If you have the cadence sensor paired up to the forerunner, then it will always try to take that information from the cadence sensor over GPS information

Note for anyone who doesn't know, the cadence sensor they refer to is the combo Garmin speed/cadence sensor)