Rhino Volunteers

Mr Rhino

Thank you for the link, you should have put that in your original message. I will take a look, thanks.

Sorry for coming in 'cold'. I just think it is a case of lots to do in such a little time. It would be great for cyclists who have bush knowledge to come on board, mainly proactively. You Guys also are on the road, so you see a lot and this could be vauble in the fight against Rhino poaching. No we are not looking for funding from Volunteers, we want time, energy, intel etc. Lets call it 'riding for Rhinos'.

Hi

Thanks - web site looks good. I see the donated money is controlled by WRSA. Does that mean the money goes to protecting their members rhinos?

Thanks for the Question. I can't comment on behalf of The Wildlife Ranching Of South Africa (WRSA)however I am an member of the Rhino Chamber. At the latest WRSA meeting it was resolved to spend R60000-00 on equipment such as 'scanners' which will be handed over to the SAPS. Such scanners will be deployed in the field to ID all endangered species that have been chipped, including elephant tusks, rhino horn, cycads etc. It goes without saying that any attempt to prevent rhino poaching will be beneficial to all Rhino Owners (state or public). Hope this gives some clarity.

All sounds good - thanks. My concern was that the money goes to WRSA members who could pay to protect their rhinos themselves (mostly wealthy people - have to be to have bought rhino) and who's rhinos often end up dead anyways - although not poached they are often legally shot by foreign hunters.

All sounds good - thanks. My concern was that the money goes to WRSA members who could pay to protect their rhinos themselves (mostly wealthy people - have to be to have bought rhino) and who's rhinos often end up dead anyways - although not poached they are often legally shot by foreign hunters.

I share your sentiments, however there are far more good guys out there than other. At the end of the day I do it for our Rhino.

I have the following experience,Dunno if it will come in handy:

. I was involved in the re-introduction & tracking of White Rhino in Northern Kruger

. Trails guide & guide in Northern Kruger for 2 years.

. Ran cycling safaris through Mashatu Game Reserve Botswana for 2 years.

. I have a diploma in conservation

. Fgasa level 2 trails guide.

I will be happy to help if I can.

I have the following experience,Dunno if it will come in handy:

. I was involved in the re-introduction & tracking of White Rhino in Northern Kruger

. Trails guide & guide in Northern Kruger for 2 years.

. Ran cycling safaris through Mashatu Game Reserve Botswana for 2 years.

. I have a diploma in conservation

. Fgasa level 2 trails guide.

I will be happy to help if I can.

Thats the spirit, we definitely will be able to ues your services. Please forward your email by sms to 0832729817 in order for our office to assist you. We look forward to hearing from you. Regards

Feedback regarding last nights (14/12) Rhino Volunteer's Meeting. We had a great turn out. Thank you to all from the cycling faternity who attended. We plan another meeting early next year for those who could not make it. Please follow the the procedures in the original post if you would like to join. This is an ongiong dynamic process. We do it for Our Rhino, and if we save or prevent 1 Rhino from being poached, it was worth it! Regards

Feedback regarding last nights (14/12) Rhino Volunteer's Meeting. We had a great turn out. Thank you to all from the cycling faternity who attended. We plan another meeting early next year for those who could not make it. Please follow the the procedures in the original post if you would like to join. This is an ongiong dynamic process. We do it for Our Rhino, and if we save or prevent 1 Rhino from being poached, it was worth it! Regards

I a willing to help if I am fully kitted out with a long range riffle and given free range on any potential poachers. No questions asked, just in and out each day.

I a willing to help if I am fully kitted out with a long range riffle and given free range on any potential poachers. No questions asked, just in and out each day.

Chasing the foot soldier on the ground is the lowest level of fighting poaching, however we need to talk to them - the poacher in a language they understand. The demand for Rhino horn is where we have to place our time and energy. We have to educate the Eastern masses that killing rhino for some out dated culture is wrong in this modern world of ours, any suggestions?

Chasing the foot soldier on the ground is the lowest level of fighting poaching, however we need to talk to them - the poacher in a language they understand. The demand for Rhino horn is where we have to place our time and energy. We have to educate the Eastern masses that killing rhino for some out dated culture is wrong in this modern world of ours, any suggestions?

I have spent a lot of time in the East, especially in China. The only way is to play to their superstitions. Unfortunately Rhino horn plays there and there are too many people to get the message across too for that to change. Hope that does not sound negative, but their ways of thinking are very, very different to ours.

A better way is to get a really harsh rep for anti-poaching. A no-nonsense approach. Kill and ask questions later. Unfortunately this will not be above board, but then again, there are ways and I am sure that there are people who would be willing to help if it meant the survival of a species.

Wars are seldom won or ended by talking to the enemy when the enemy has nothing to gain by it. Those wars are won on the ground by foot soldiers who root out the enemy and make sure no more will come.

• 1 month later...

Food for thought. Why do we need Cyclists to join up? The beast out there is far bigger than we can ever imagine. I have been playing with some figures and this is the state of affairs. 2010 saw a total (that we are aware of) of 333 rhinos being poached. 323 white and 10 black rhino. This is a total loss of approx R250 Mil which has been stolen from our national wildlife asset. There are some 28000 rhino left in the world, and humans total 6,5 Billion. For every 1 rhino there are approx 230 000 humans. 1:230000. So if we push for extinction, for every 1 rhino taken down, 230000 humans should suffer a similar fate. With this in mind 333 rhino were poached last year, which would equate to 76,5 million humans. Would there be an out cry if we loss so many of our own specie? We look forward to all Cyclists joinig our ranks. Regards Conserv

Thanks. I was about to start looking for a reputable organisation to contribute to with regard to rhino poaching, and you have done the looking for me. I will definitely be in touch