little falls/strubens/weltereden park-this afternoon?

crasher

We do 2-3 hr rides leaving Mugg n Bean quite regularly that criss cross the Avianto area with proper technical climbing. PM me if we should keep you updated! Warning though, most of our group are training for Epic and Joberg2C so we are mostly focussing on distance the next 3 months, but we can always include new guys for the first few hours and then separate.

Safety in numbers is a must, so lest keep each other updated on rides!

Alternatively, make contact with Rob at roberts@absa.co.za. He is chairman of Westage Wheelers and will put you in contact with our group via "formal channels" :-)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short notice I know leaving in 10 mins to ride will go past the gym in about 15 just in case anyone wants to ride

Weather was great really was a nice evening to ride ended up spending almost 2 1/2 hours on the bike just got home as it got dark

Rode from gym in reverse of last week up that koppie up dirt road to beyers then all the way down the single track went into Avianto did a lap of the guide dog route then up past police station and quarry just short of 40km rode with my son so was a nice easy pace

sounds like an awesome way round, gotta do something like that next time. sorry I missed it.

How was that rocky climb in the begining?

Quite nice with fresh legs my son got up there as well which I was happy with he enjoyed the route but was quite tired at the end.

Was a bit swampy in places plenty running water as well you could see that there was plenty rain in last few days but really nice evening to ride.

Have you sorted you brake hose out?

I would like to ride twice next week depending on weather

I am thinking of riding to Teak doing a full lap at Teak then riding back home either tom morning or Sun morning

I want to plot it on the Garmin then take a look on google earth at ways to make it shorter and longer by working out some alternate ways of getting to and from Teak.

Aaaaa that is awesome, so Guy will get up there then 2 :P hee hee (sorry guy, couldn't resist) but it sounds like you both enjoyed it, swampy rides are always fun :)

I am taking my bike in now. hopefully it'll b done by sunday, quite keen 4sunday, got to get a decent ride in.

Cant make tomorrow morning, got to take my lil Lab puppy for her first lesson lol feel like a father eish.

Next week I am in for sure. 2 rides. let me know the plans and i'll make space on my side.

Glad you had fun Crasher, it did look like a fine evening!

FowlStArt, I'll take that on the chin while I'm sick in bed with a massive cold, which I probably got from cyclocrossing-it in the rain and mud at Teak all day last Sunday.

Maybe I'll do our next ride on the 'cross. I managed to get up the Viewpoint hill at Teak, slipping all the way up in a 30F-27R, west-to-east, over wet rocks, stones and mud. However, the downhill was really traumatic, especially since it was incredibly slippery in the rain on 700x38 tyres! I actually think it was bad no matter what you rode that day!

Sadly I think this cold is going to keep me off the bike this weekend

Ok been busy on Google earth got a provisonal route to teak and back which I think all will enjoy.

Sunday morning leave the Strubens gym carpark at 7-00

Not sure of total distance a full lap of teak is about 33km so I estimate somewhere between 65 to 80 kms for full ride.

Who would be interested to come with this Sunday?

Great stuff another friend of mine just phoned to say he is in and he might bring his friend as well so thats 8 of us so far.

Pray for some nice riding weather :)

Edited by crasher

Really enjoyed the ride today, thanks everyone.

Weather turned out to be perfect, route was great and it seems we all got home safe (albeit with sore legs...lol)

Yes was great morning really enjoyed the ride and company.

Couple of things surprised me I underestimated distance to teak thought it would be about 23km to get there so the 31 or 33 was a surprise.

Also leaving at 7 is too late if we want to do a full loop of teak and get back at a reasonable time we need to leave no later than 6.

With only doing one side of Teak plus the one section being closed it was still a 73km ride so with a full loop of Teak it will be a 90km round trip coming back on road throght the cradle and up past mulderdrift quarry.

Last thing is we need to put a 20kg camelbak on Fowlstart to slow him down on the climbs :D

Waaaaaa hahahaha 20kg camelbak :P im 2 skinny for that, i'll end up with back issues :blink:

Was a really awesome ride guys thanks, wish we could have done more of teak but ya we really have to leave earlier if we going to get that distance in, the last 10 time trial was a little nasty (think I might actually get devorced if I arrive that late again hahaha, still made it on time though :o )

But that route was awesome Crash, company was top class and I had a blast.