Shifter styles

duckcoza

I bought a stumpjumper and it came with Sram X9 shifters .They work great ,but I don't like the way all the shifting is done with your thumb ??? With my previous LX shifters you up changed with your forefinger and down changed with your thumb .

If I were to change to XT shifters would they shift like my old LX ? Would I need to change my rear derailer or would a Sram R/D work with XT shifters ? XTR shifters look very well made are they worth double the money ??

A couple of answers:

1) Almost all Shimano shifters work like your old LX ones, although they're 2-way-release these days, so you can press the small lever with your thumb (a la SRAM) or pull it like you will be used to.

2) Shimano and SRAM shifters/derailleurs have different actuation ratios (the amount of cable pull per movement of the shift lever). SRAM touts their 1:1 ratio as more reliable, although there's a whole lot of opionated debate about that. SRAM shifters and Shimano derailleurs - and the other way round - don't work together.

3) XTR is hot, but you're paying a ton of money for something that's essentially 5% (or in some cases 0%) better that XT in performance terms. With XTR, it's mostly about the weight, it's quite a bit lighter than XT.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Thanks very much for the quick reply . Some questions sorted !! What about my cluster I assume it's Sram ? Will it affect anything ? Is this 10 speed rear cluster story worth it ?

thanks again

Ok so 10 sp is the way to go if I bought new ? Can I use a 10 sp shifter on a 9 speed cluster and just adjust it to not go to 1st ??? Are 9 and 10 sp rear derailers any different ? Or is it just adjustment ?

You seem pretty new at the game so I wouldn't bother with 10spd just yet, 9spd is way cheaper and will be around for longer than your stumpy.

Shifting styles involves a lot of personal preference, so rather give it a bit more time before you decide you really don't like it.

No you can not mix speeds.