Bottom out

Capricorn

Hmmm, now I'm seriously re-thinking the fact that I dropped my fork's pressure a bit after this afternoon's quasi-DH riding at Tokai... Wasn't getting anywhere near full travel (probably only 75%), but what if I happen to launch a big jump or hit a REALLY big rut now like these guys?

Oh wait, I don't ride near fast enough for it to be an issue! Pffft, had myself worried for no reason there! ;) Hahaha.

(Seriously though, that bit with Danny Hart is insane. I'm pretty sure his bikes don't last very long...)

Edited by Martin Hattingh

75% is quite a bit MH :o Which fork, and why did u drop the pressure?

Just keep in mind MH that even if u dont go as fast, when you launch horizontally off a dropoff/stepdown, it's only the vertical distance combined with mass of bike+rider that acts upon the fork to cause it to drive thru the available travel.

Granted, head angle slackness, and uneven terrain will conspire to to have forces generated from horizontal momentum changes to also act to compress the fork. But the largest percentage force for compression comes from the vertical distance. So slow or not, it's gonna compress mostly the same.

Edited by Capricorn

Did you see how Gee bottomed out on the wall at Red bull rampage, looked like his rear triangle was going to snap with the flex.

hmmm dean, nice one! must see if I can screen cap that moment :)

i was very surprised his bike simply didnt explode at the pivots. His rear triangle was just flexing like crazy.. but man, i really admire Gee. what a rider..

Not the best quality (anyone have the BD version???)

post-6789-0-23012600-1294558024.jpg

Gee Atherton - Redbull rampage 2010

Either he landed in a rut, or his rear wheel got seriously squashed.. :o

75% is quite a bit MH :o Which fork, and why did u drop the pressure?

Just keep in mind MH that even if u dont go as fast, when you launch horizontally off a dropoff/stepdown, it's only the vertical distance combined with mass of bike+rider that acts upon the fork to cause it to drive thru the available travel.

Granted, head angle slackness, and uneven terrain will conspire to to have forces generated from horizontal momentum changes to also act to compress the fork. But the largest percentage force for compression comes from the vertical distance. So slow or not, it's gonna compress mostly the same.

It's a Revelation (ridden mostly at 110, but I take it up to 140 when cruising down Tokai if I feel like going fast). The 75% is measured after having bombed down and slamming through quite a few big ruts. So, because I generally don't jump big stuff and ride very consistently, I don't think I'll hit anything harder than that at any point (barring ploughing into a rock and crashing or something). My take is that if you're not using your travel, you're wasting it....

ok, so I overshot a dirt jump and landed a little hard with my freeride bike. It didn't feel like it bottomed out (mostly cos I lost footing in the air and was more worried about the one footed landing), but when inspecting the vid I noticed how much the suspension compressed.

post-10758-0-71745800-1294667469.png

naaaice patches :thumbup:

I tried yesterday during practice to bottom out off this ledge, but no joi. wouldnt have mattered cos no cam around to record the abuse :P but JB can rest assured, the compression damping is now working :P

• 4 months later...

Jees, JW, really bottoming out on that last one - Won't be surprized if his tires have rim-marks inside!

hahha.. brilliant timing by the photographer. I'm always waiting for the riders head to snap downward. He looks primed for it.