Info about going tubeless

StevieL

I am relatively new to mountain biking, and after much persuasion from mates, bought myself a set of Mavic Crosstrail... purely because I am told the benefits of tubeless outweigh tubes.

I have an existing pair of Rocket Rons, I am just wondering now if I can run these as tubeless, or do I need a dedicated tubeless tyre? If so, any recommendations?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dedicated tubeless tires are generally endowed with thicker sidewalls to prevent any air leaking out, where there would normally be a tube doing the same.

I would definately get myself a set of UST tires for that. And some STANS, as well.

As for tires - I have the WTB Wolverines and have to say that they are AWESOME. Wanted to get the Weirwolves (Weirwolf for singular) as they had a more aggressive tread pattern and more prominent knobs, but the Wolverine should be perfect for you up there in the big dirt... They've been dealing with all Tokai can throw at them, which is quite a varying amount of terrain - rock, hardpack, sand, mud, shale etc...

I am relatively new to mountain biking, and after much persuasion from mates, bought myself a set of Mavic Crosstrail... purely because I am told the benefits of tubeless outweigh tubes.

I have an existing pair of Rocket Rons, I am just wondering now if I can run these as tubeless, or do I need a dedicated tubeless tyre? If so, any recommendations?

You can run those rocket rons as tubless, but as has been said above a dedicated tubless is preferable for puncture prevention.

You rims are tubeless ready so all you need is a valve which you can get from a LBS. You will also need some sealant and an adapter than will fit onto the valve and will then allow you to use the high pressure pump at a filling station.

My suggestion is put the valve on nice and tight, fit the tyres and fill them with some sealant. At the filling station fit the high pressure nozzle onto the adaptor and hit the switch. You will hear a pop as the tyre seats onto the rim. Then just let some air out and run your desired pressure.

Maxxis Crossmark LUST - awesome tire at a very nice price.

You cannot beat the durability of these.

But can you get the Xmark to run straight?

until you show them some water. Or roots. Or sand. Anything other than hardpack, actually. Then they whimper and try to get away from the general area as fast as possible. Which generally leaves you on your head, with a mouthful of sand/rock/root/mud. Not ideal.

Stay far away...

Father Christmas did the conversion for me but apparently only had GEAX Mezcal and Saguaro in stock, got one of each. I don't know this make, can anybody share some light on the pro's and con's on the tyre. My con is the price.

I'd put the Sagauro in front - more aggressive tire and that's where you need the majority of the grip.

I have spoken to a number of shops & other people, and general consensus is that they're a marvellous tire. The Sagauro, that is.

until you show them some water. Or roots. Or sand. Anything other than hardpack, actually. Then they whimper and try to get away from the general area as fast as possible. Which generally leaves you on your head, with a mouthful of sand/rock/root/mud. Not ideal.

Stay far away...

Then I sure have briliant skills since I have been using them for two years and can't remember the last time I was on my head?(touch-wood!!)

P.s.: and I rode them in pretty much all conditions except snow as far as I remember? :blink:

Stay far away...

You must be running it at 30bar. :blink:

Have a look at some previous hub items where MTB tires was rated, not by me, but thousands of riders experiencing all different conditions.

Number one was the Maxxis Crossmark.

Very hot on the heals was Conti Mountain King/Race King combo.

Then quite a distance to the rest.

I've run Crossmarks on my 26" bike and never had a slip, a puncture, a leak, nothing in two years. :clap: In comparison I tried the Rocket Rons and it was absolutely terrible!

Running the Conti Combo on my 29" bike and the grip is the same as with the Crossmarks. Maybe a bit more rolling resistance. Definately not as durable.

So if you want to critize it that much, you need to show the proof. Like a poll clearly indicating your finding. :P

I'd put the Sagauro in front - more aggressive tire and that's where you need the majority of the grip.

I have spoken to a number of shops & other people, and general consensus is that they're a marvellous tire. The Sagauro, that is.

Once again you will find plenty of post where people complained that these tires pops off the rim when going hard around corners or hitting some roots. A work friend did the Sabie experience in December and it happened twice with him in one day.

Then I sure have briliant skills since I have been using them for two years and can't remember the last time I was on my head?(touch-wood!!)

P.s.: and I rode them in pretty much all conditions except snow as far as I remember? :blink:

Heh! Must have been a special set then! ;-P

Heh! Must have been a special set then! ;-P

:blush: :D

Must agree that running them stright is a headache.

It always seem that your wheel is out of true.

Once again you will find plenty of post where people complained that these tires pops off the rim when going hard around corners or hitting some roots. A work friend did the Sabie experience in December and it happened twice with him in one day.

Now as for that, I cannot say. I'm currently running a tubeless conversion with Wolverine 2.2's on both wheels. Not a problem with any of them.

However, I have been told that the Sagauros are VERY tight on converted rims.

But can you get the Xmark to run straight?

Saw your post and must say it is the first time I heard this issue. I know a lot of people with Crossmarks and none had these issues on whatever rims.

Is it the batched that was sold in Cape Town? Maybe grey imports?

Recently a lot of people tried the Maxxis Ignitors and rave about it. It grips on everything, but does not last too long.