Info about going tubeless

StevieL

I am relatively new to mountain biking, and after much persuasion from mates, bought myself a set of Mavic Crosstrail... purely because I am told the benefits of tubeless outweigh tubes.

I have an existing pair of Rocket Rons, I am just wondering now if I can run these as tubeless, or do I need a dedicated tubeless tyre? If so, any recommendations?

I run Rocket Ron's tubeless on 2 bikes, one has American Classic tubeless wheels with just tape, the other has stans type rimstrips... they work great and are light and the tread pattern is a perfect all round option... they do wear fast though...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:blush: :D

Must agree that running them stright is a headache.

It always seem that your wheel is out of true.

That's my experience too. They don't make straight ones, unless it is a different version/ Maybe Maxxis Crossmark "S".

I recently had a flat on my Merida. Turned out to be the valve. I had the tubless conversion done when I bought the bike and have never had a problem. Running the Maxxis cross mark LUST.

Only thin is, when removing the tyre from the rim, I noticed that they had been glued on...is this normal practice?

They are not glued. The latex based sealant hardened over time. That is normal, but that is why you need to replace the sealant regularly as it becomes a solid lated film on the entire tire internar area, thickest near the beads and can even form a ball. It becomes a problem when using Stans tape as the tire and tape can get "glued" together strongly and damaging the tape when trying to seperate them is a real concern. Doing this during a race is a b!tch. Can't go wrong with tubeless rims!

I agree. If you ride really fast and end up drifting through corners, you're better off with something like a Nevegal. You're right about them being tractor tires though, they're freakin' slow, you can hear them grinding along quite loudly. I've ridden the following branded tyres over the years:

- Panaracer Smoke, Panaracer Dart

- Tioga Psycho

- Ritchey Z-Max

- Panaracer Khartoum

- WTB Velociraptor

- IRC Mythos XC

- IRC Missile

- Continental Town and Country

- Panaracer Spike

- Continental Country

- Michelin Comp 16

- Maxxis High Roller

- Hutchinson Piranha Airlight

- Kenda Small Block 8

- Maxxis Advantage

- Kenda Nevegal

In my experience, I rate them as follows...

Grippiest: Michelin Comp 16, IRC Missile, Kenda Nevegal

Fastest rolling for a real knobbly: Hutchinson Piranhas - by far, much better than SB8s.

I've ridden those 2 sets as well as my current WTB Wolverines. ITB are a helluva tire, and the were grippy in just about anything. And I pushed them really hard! Only reason I changed them was that I went tubeless, and they were a 1.95 :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I rate the WTB's as best (so far) but have yet to ride them in properly wet conditions...

I've ridden those 2 sets as well as my current WTB Wolverines. ITB are a helluva tire, and the were grippy in just about anything. And I pushed them really hard! Only reason I changed them was that I went tubeless, and they were a 1.95 :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I rate the WTB's as best (so far) but have yet to ride them in properly wet conditions...

Yes, the Raptors probably come in fourth on my grip list. They're pretty good.