scott aspect 30 vs giant talon 2

johnnyrotten

Hi all, I'm looking at the Giant Talon 2 or the Scott aspect 30. (both 2011 models) Both seem like great bikes for my budget. Can you give me some feedback and advise.

Cheers

Hi Johnny

I'm pretty new to MTB'ing but I was pretty much in the same predicament you are in right now. I too was considering either the Giant or the Scott.

To me the Scott was better specd for the price and I have had my Aspect 30 for just over a month now. I'm really happy with my choice, its a terrific bike.

Hi Johnny

I'm pretty new to MTB'ing but I was pretty much in the same predicament you are in right now. I too was considering either the Giant or the Scott.

To me the Scott was better specd for the price and I have had my Aspect 30 for just over a month now. I'm really happy with my choice, its a terrific bike.

Thanks for that, I test rode an aspect 30 today and was pretty amazed at the general feel and lightness. It's encouraging to hear that you are happy with your purchase. How do the suntours compare to the rock shox on the giant?

I got the talon 3 a couple of months ago, and maybe different on the talon 2 but one annoying thing is when coming down hill my back derailleur always hits against the frame. So would bounce that bike and see if it has the same problem, other than that it is a nice bike.

I suspect we're talking XCM / XCR versus Dart 2 - Both elastomer internal forks, and both deliver approx the same experience. I had the XCM on my bike, before upgrading to a REBA just recently

I can honestly say that at that level, there is very little between them. Go for the scott, if it fits. Talon also looks heavier. I haven't weighed one, but it just looks like it would weigh more than the Scott.

I suspect we're talking XCM / XCR versus Dart 2 - Both elastomer internal forks, and both deliver approx the same experience. I had the XCM on my bike, before upgrading to a REBA just recently

I can honestly say that at that level, there is very little between them. Go for the scott, if it fits. Talon also looks heavier. I haven't weighed one, but it just looks like it would weigh more than the Scott.

I am certainly erring toward the Scott at this stage. Thanks for the advise. I might be imagining it but the scott seems to look a little racier also.

i had the exact same problem and i went with the scott verry hppy so far..

rather take the talon 2 its got slightly better specs and i rode both the giant has a more relaxed geo

Edited by MattyG

Another vote for the Scott.

Asbestos undies at the ready...

I've never been able to get excited about Giants. To me they are the Toyotas of the cycling world. I don't have anything (more) rude to say about them, they've just never excited me.

My money is in the region of my mouth: both my bikes are Scotts and and I am very happy with both. (CR1 for skinny tyres and Spark for fatties.)