Road Tubeless

Woofie

Hi Woofie

I have read the comments from the other hubbers with interest, I think most of the comments were made in ignorance.

Last year I also became gatvol of punctures, our roads are full of glass and sharp stones and it becomes inevitable that you will have a puncture sooner rather than later.

I purchased 2 Hutchinson Atom tubeless tyres for my road bike, I fitted them on my Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels, only needed to replace the valves and added Stans.

You pump the tyres according to your weight, I weight 80kg at present (working on it (:thumbdown: ) with that weight I have to pump the tyres 7 bar.

The ride quality is the best I have ever experienced, it's on par with tubbies.

In the past 6 months I have only experienced a flat once, there was a small cut in the front tyre, the sealant kept sealing the cut but the tyre goes flat over a period of a week, it eventually went flat when the sealant ran out, I patched it and since zero flats.

Have a look at www.notubes.com there is a video clip on how to seal non tubeless tyres.

You can purchase them at www.probikekit.com I paid R600 per tyre, inclusive of VAT.

Good luck with the conversion, in time all road bikes will run on tubeless tyres

At the risk of sounding ignorant, does the sealant not just squirt out spectacularlty under high road tyre pressure?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey woofie!

That bridgestone kit looks fimiliar - looks like the kit of the DC team that I kept back with my 3 or 4 punctures in 2009.

At the time, got the advice of using gatorskins and someone even said they replace the gatorskin as soon as they get their first flat. Yes, that becomes a bit of an expensive exercise.

So, embarrassed after that race (letting my team down like that), I converted to good 'ol gatorskins and loving it. Yeah, ran through my first set within a season, but I guess that's part of normal maintenance. Like having to service your car every year...

(I didn't read anywhere which tyres you're on, and no offence intended if you know the gatorskin propaganda.)

What I also found helps to make the tyre last a bit longer (once it got a cut), is to check regularly if no glass and stuff worked its way into the weak area. Yeah, that's risky, but I only do that for my training tyres - got a new set of tyres which I'm saving for races.

Lastly - get a MTB for commuting. You can avoid the traffic and if you're as lucky as me you can ride through from rhodes memorial to vredehoek or the cable car station to CPT CBD.

Well, good luck and hope you can find a good solution. Nothing more frustrating...

At the risk of sounding ignorant, does the sealant not just squirt out spectacularlty under high road tyre pressure?

Just spoke to grumpy now.

Apparently not :)

He is using stans in there and he hasnt punctured in months with about 2000 km.

Tires still looking good, so mileage should be acceptable.

I recon I will try a slime or sludge or one of those flavours. Maybe even the one with the particles to try and block the hole if the pressure is working against me.

He had one "slow" flat where he had a cut but stans kept filling the hole.

After a few months he ran out of sealant and then it eventually went down.

A simple patch in the tire and he was good to go again.

Sounds too good to be true, so I am going to have to give it a try! :P

Anybody coming in with me?

Grumpy thanks for the info - those mavics are they tubeless rims ?

ALso, how is the wear on the tubless tyres - good for training or will they not last ?

Thanks,WW.

Hi WW

The Mavics are sealed, tubeless ready, think at present only Mavic Ksyrium and some Shimano wheels are tubeless ready.

But you can convert a normal rim to tubeless, just like the MTB do, have a look at the video on www.notubes.com it shows how it is done.

I have done about 2000 kilometers on the tyres, the tyres still look like new, not sure if they will last as long as Conti's but I don't care, the ride quality excellent with a lot less punctures..

Hey woofie!

That bridgestone kit looks fimiliar - looks like the kit of the DC team that I kept back with my 3 or 4 punctures in 2009.

At the time, got the advice of using gatorskins and someone even said they replace the gatorskin as soon as they get their first flat. Yes, that becomes a bit of an expensive exercise.

So, embarrassed after that race (letting my team down like that), I converted to good 'ol gatorskins and loving it. Yeah, ran through my first set within a season, but I guess that's part of normal maintenance. Like having to service your car every year...

(I didn't read anywhere which tyres you're on, and no offence intended if you know the gatorskin propaganda.)

What I also found helps to make the tyre last a bit longer (once it got a cut), is to check regularly if no glass and stuff worked its way into the weak area. Yeah, that's risky, but I only do that for my training tyres - got a new set of tyres which I'm saving for races.

Lastly - get a MTB for commuting. You can avoid the traffic and if you're as lucky as me you can ride through from rhodes memorial to vredehoek or the cable car station to CPT CBD.

Well, good luck and hope you can find a good solution. Nothing more frustrating...

Henk? Is that you? :)

I was in the social team that year so your flattering didnt have any effect on me. :D

I would MTB each day if I was a bit closer to work. But with that being said, I actually should start using it maybe on my rest days when I can just use the granny gears and take my time up the hills.

I know that a daily inspection and cleanup of tires is NB, but with me riding twice a day the extra time that I am going to waste filling up the hairline cracks is going to really eat major time in the long run.

But with that being said, I should do it now and again though.

Cool guys!

I agree with most of what Grumpy has said. I have had 1 puncture on my tubeless set up. It was a severe cut to my rear tyre. The Joes squirted out but I could continue riding. It gave trouble again after about another 25kms. I then pumped the tyre and had to do so at 5km intervald until I got home. The tyre was patched internally and is in service again. The only thing that I have against tubless road tyres is that the current Hutcheson tyres wear out very quickly, the local cost(CRC helps) and the trips to the local garage to get the initial pressure sometimes when I change them. The ride quality is definitely worth it, they ride smoother due to the lower pressures and roll much faster. I have Dura-Ace tubeless rims and they are also great.

25c or 23c

I know we ride 23's, but how would the 25's ride?

I remember reading a article some time back how wider tires roll better than thinner ones.

Just quite a bit heavier though, so I dont think I will go there.

Sweet :P

Thank-you for your order.

We hope you enjoyed shopping with us and look forward to seeing you again.

Please print or save this page for your records. We have also emailed you a copy of your order to the email address you supplied.

Order #: XXXX Date: 2011-01-18 Paid By: XXXXXX

Currency: ZAR Exchange Rate: 11.0205

Billing Address: XXXXX

Delivery Address: XXXXX

Item Option Qty Each (ex VAT) Total (ex VAT)

Hutchinson Atom Tubeless Folding Tyre - 23mm 23c Tubeless Folding Tyre 4 R380.10 R1520.39

Goods Total: R1520.39

Total Postage: R132.25

UK V.A.T: R0.00

Total (inc VAT): R1652.63

Total amount charged to card in GBP (Pound Sterling): £149.96

Due to the fluctuating nature of financial exchange rates, our calculated total in your local currency may be slightly different from the actual total charged by your credit-card company. In addition to this, your credit-card company may charge an extra fee for paying in GBP. The amount is usually very small but you should check with your card issuer for current rates if you are concerned.

Any qualifying free or promotional items will not be displayed here but will be added to your order prior to dispatch.

Probikekit.com

Good Acres Business Park, Aynam Road, Kendal, LA9 7DE, UK

tel: (+44) 0 1539 738 268

Company Reg: 03611743

VAT Reg: 708-529-128

@ Woofie: keep us posted with your experience with road tubeless. I am interested to see if it reduces your punctures.

@ Woofie: keep us posted with your experience with road tubeless. I am interested to see if it reduces your punctures.

:thumbup: