Road Tubeless

Woofie

I don`t think that there is enough volume to a road tyre and the running pressures are too high for tubeless to work effectively. Most punctures in tubeless(even with sealant) result in some pressure loss which can easily be absorbed by the volume of a mountainbike tyre which is not as dependant on any specific pressure. On a road tyre the higher pressure will result in a greater initial loss of pressure which may cause other problems such as tyres rolling off the rim etc. I also doubt whether the current sealants can take the pressures required for road tyres.You will still have to stop and plug that tyre pretty quickly and pump to continue racing i.m.o.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don`t think that there is enough volume to a road tyre and the running pressures are too high for tubeless to work effectively. Most punctures in tubeless(even with sealant) result in some pressure loss which can easily be absorbed by the volume of a mountainbike tyre which is not as dependant on any specific pressure. On a road tyre the higher pressure will result in a greater initial loss of pressure which may cause other problems such as tyres rolling off the rim etc. I also doubt whether the current sealants can take the pressures required for road tyres.You will still have to stop and plug that tyre pretty quickly and pump to continue racing i.m.o.

110% correct, I have always found it comes down to tyre pressure 9,5 bar minimum. R3SL

Thanks guys.

Remember those old permatube things.

I suppose those are the only way to make totally sure.

But then I would probably be better off filling my tubes with concrete as well.

I see Joes has a road tubeless specific sealant for high pressures.

But failing that I guess its gatorskins, liners and slime for me as I just train on the road bike

Do a search on You tube for tubeless road conversion, interesting video.

I've done this conversion but I do find that you may need a plastic 29er rimstrip, add an extra washer to the tubeless valve, and make sure it is really tight so that you can get the pressure over 6bar. I used Gatorskins, but their sidewalls are rather porous, so be sure to use a thin ( eg Stans) sealant. +/- bulletproof.Normal rims are fine.

Don't listen to the theoretical excuses as to why this can't work, it does, try it.

Good luck

Do a search on You tube for tubeless road conversion, interesting video.

I've done this conversion but I do find that you may need a plastic 29er rimstrip, add an extra washer to the tubeless valve, and make sure it is really tight so that you can get the pressure over 6bar. I used Gatorskins, but their sidewalls are rather porous, so be sure to use a thin ( eg Stans) sealant. +/- bulletproof.Normal rims are fine.

Don't listen to the theoretical excuses as to why this can't work, it does, try it.

Good luck

So you used normal gatorskins for this setup?

Arent you scared of them burping?

Hi Woofie

I have read the comments from the other hubbers with interest, I think most of the comments were made in ignorance.

Last year I also became gatvol of punctures, our roads are full of glass and sharp stones and it becomes inevitable that you will have a puncture sooner rather than later.

I purchased 2 Hutchinson Atom tubeless tyres for my road bike, I fitted them on my Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels, only needed to replace the valves and added Stans.

You pump the tyres according to your weight, I weight 80kg at present (working on it (:thumbdown: ) with that weight I have to pump the tyres 7 bar.

The ride quality is the best I have ever experienced, it's on par with tubbies.

In the past 6 months I have only experienced a flat once, there was a small cut in the front tyre, the sealant kept sealing the cut but the tyre goes flat over a period of a week, it eventually went flat when the sealant ran out, I patched it and since zero flats.

Have a look at www.notubes.com there is a video clip on how to seal non tubeless tyres.

You can purchase them at www.probikekit.com I paid R600 per tyre, inclusive of VAT.

Good luck with the conversion, in time all road bikes will run on tubeless tyres

Hi Woofie

I have read the comments from the other hubbers with interest, I think most of the comments were made in ignorance.

Last year I also became gatvol of punctures, our roads are full of glass and sharp stones and it becomes inevitable that you will have a puncture sooner rather than later.

I purchased 2 Hutchinson Atom tubeless tyres for my road bike, I fitted them on my Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels, only needed to replace the valves and added Stans.

You pump the tyres according to your weight, I weight 80kg at present (working on it (:thumbdown: ) with that weight I have to pump the tyres 7 bar.

The ride quality is the best I have ever experienced, it's on par with tubbies.

In the past 6 months I have only experienced a flat once, there was a small cut in the front tyre, the sealant kept sealing the cut but the tyre goes flat over a period of a week, it eventually went flat when the sealant ran out, I patched it and since zero flats.

Have a look at www.notubes.com there is a video clip on how to seal non tubeless tyres.

You can purchase them at www.probikekit.com I paid R600 per tyre, inclusive of VAT.

Good luck with the conversion, in time all road bikes will run on tubeless tyres

Now that is what I was waiting to hear. :clap:

Shot man.

Tell me, the only other thing is can I plug holes in road tyres?

And they deliver quickly...

What about import duties etc?

So the total order will be just under R800.

How much could I expect for shipping and what is the post office going to knock me for?

Powerbalance?

Maybe you can share your experience of power balance with us :clap:

Every tyre can be punctured, a tubeless tyre just punctures less frequently.

I carry a few tubeless patches with me in the event that the tyre is cut.

Grumpy thanks for the info - those mavics are they tubeless rims ?

ALso, how is the wear on the tubless tyres - good for training or will they not last ?

Thanks,WW.

Every tyre can be punctured, a tubeless tyre just punctures less frequently.

Why? It's just a few layers of rubber over a casing just like any other tyre. EvenConti with their special Gatorskin and Specialized with Flack Jacket protection punctures. I can understand they are better preventing pinch flats but not normal punctures. And don't say because of the sealant. That's got nothing to do with a tyre's ability to stop sharp object penetrating it.