found out my pump was under reading by about 10-12psi

wapad

just realised that my floor pump gauge has been faulty so when I thought I was running at 33 psi was at 21psi on the new gauge

what a difference, the casualty is that an AMC rear has a few dings.

we take it for granted that the gauges are accurate and also you read so much on the hub about tyre pressure

I could never understand how someone ran tyres at 1.8 bar but now that my pump gauge is 100% I understand why

I have always struggled to find a balance between grip and bottoming out on my rim

any new suggestions on a 100kg rider tyre pressure currently on the new pump 1.8 rear and 1.7 fr

Where did you get it calibrated?

or how did you find it was under reading?

uuuuummmmmm his AMC or whatever had dings

I also noticed that my Giant (something tower) floor pump was inaccurate, so I invested in a Lezyne. They are pricey but are accurate and will outlast my addiction to cycling. I also like the screw-on valve rather than the so-called smart head, which I noticed releases air from your wheel when you remove it. The screw-on valve does not touch the presta valve core and therefore no pressure is released upon removal.

My girlfriend got me a Topeak digital tyre pressure gauge for Christmas. Awesome girlfriend! :thumbup:

The new gauge informed me that what the floor pump thinks is 2 bar is actually closer to 3.4!!!

The result is that I've found a new world of grip.

Where did you get it calibrated?

or how did you find it was under reading?

funnily enough it wasnt the dings I used the pump to check a trailer wheel when there was a big difference I had a car digital gauge and cross checked it so kinda stumbled onto it

the dings are because you hear people on the hub talking about this topic so I always thought 32-33psi was the pressure to have plus the ratings on the tyre

the dings just add character but at least now I know where I stand

I don't think one should ever trust any pump guage for an accurate measurement. What most gauges are fine with though, is consistency. So get to a pressure you feel works for you (whether on your fork, rear shock or tyres) and then use the pump to maintain that pressure over time. I've never ever been able to take a pressure recommendation from a sidewall, user manual or fork leg and make it work for me, it just always ends up feeling wrong. What I do use the guage on my shock pump for though is to check the balance between positive and negative pressure on my fork. It's fine for that, accuracy-wise.

Tyres? Pffftt, squeeze the sidewalls with your hand, it gives you a much better feel for things.

Edited by Martin Hattingh