Please recommend flat pedals for my road bike

GhostRider2

well... if Sam uses them... why not?! hahaha!

but in all seriousness... I've actually seen a guy running Shimano DX pedals on an road bike

http://www.brianrourke.co.uk/images/dx.jpg

They're a lot lighter than the CB 50/50s. BUT he was only using the bike for commuting purposed

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're that scared. Get spd's(mtb pedals).

They are okish for complete noobs on the road

It would seem I am going to be the only dude with flat pedals on a road bike in SA.

Is it such a bad call?

What clipless would be good for a beginner?

well... if Sam uses them... why not?! hahaha!

but in all seriousness... I've actually seen a guy running Shimano DX pedals on an road bike

http://www.brianrourke.co.uk/images/dx.jpg

They're a lot lighter than the CB 50/50s. BUT he was only using the bike for commuting purposed

Those look damn nice. Not sure you can get em in SA tho?

Those could be good on my MTB.

It seems flat pedals are a no no on a road bike.

It's only me and you who think they're cool. Oh well.

What clipless would you go for?

All of them good.

Have a look at Time, Look and Shimano. Price wise cheap as you are going to scratch and scrape your first pair. :blink:

Am I gonna fall over? :(

Hell yah!!! :clap: :D

All of us did!!!

Just remember....it is not because you can't clip out.....it is not hard to clip out.

You just FORGET! Old habbits die hard.....

So if you REMEMBER, no problems there!!

Good luck!

Can't beat these (for confusion's sake, these are actually called clips. Those horrible new things are cleats. So cleats are clipless and clips are cleatless, as it were). You'll need to import them or find someone on the hub who still has. My first pair (Token) cost R1000 imported, but I've since found some nice Campy NOS sets locally. I use 'em with Diadora that I've glued ordinary shoe soles to (takkies are OK for local trips, but sore over 20km).

Try Amazon, or www.campyoldy.co.uk.

post-14151-0-50326200-1295959603.jpg

Can't beat these (for confusion's sake, these are actually called clips. Those horrible new things are cleats. So cleats are clipless and clips are cleatless, as it were). You'll need to import them or find someone on the hub who still has. My first pair (Token) cost R1000 imported, but I've since found some nice Campy NOS sets locally. I use 'em with Diadora that I've glued ordinary shoe soles to (takkies are OK for local trips, but sore over 20km).

Try Amazon, or www.campyoldy.co.uk.

LOL I was seriosly thinking about those.

I had on my first "racer" as a kid 25 years ago.

Found a pair for sale for R20!

Should I dive in? LOL

Edited by GhostRider2

Those look damn nice. Not sure you can get em in SA tho?

Those could be good on my MTB.

It seems flat pedals are a no no on a road bike.

it's only me and you who think they're cool. Oh well.

...me, you, AND Sam Hill, hahaha!

but yeah, you can get those Shimano DX's in SA. The BMXers use them quite a bit. They're not cheap though. I've heard anything from R450 to R750. (I think the R450 was at Solomons in Woodmead)

...and if you have no luck locally... they're definitely available on CRC (also around R450 I think).

I ride Welgo B54's with long pins on my freeride and my DH MTB with Five Ten Sam Hill Edition shoes (can you tell I'm a fan :P haha) and that combination gives virtually no side-to-side movement. So from that point of view it's the same as being clipped in. But you don't get the rotational advantage of cleats.

But yeah... I guess if you want to be competitive on your road bike, you're gonna have to clip in!

All of them good.

Have a look at Time, Look and Shimano. Price wise cheap as you are going to scratch and scrape your first pair. :blink:

Hell yah!!! :clap: :D

All of us did!!!

Just remember....it is not because you can't clip out.....it is not hard to clip out.

You just FORGET! Old habbits die hard.....

So if you REMEMBER, no problems there!!

Good luck!

Aaaah thats starting to make sense!

So is any system better for a newbie then any other?

Edited by GhostRider2

...me, you, AND Sam Hill, hahaha!

but yeah, you can get those Shimano DX's in SA. The BMXers use them quite a bit. They're not cheap though. I've heard anything from R450 to R750. (I think the R450 was at Solomons in Woodmead)

...and if you have no luck locally... they're definitely available on CRC (also around R450 I think).

I ride Welgo B54's with long pins on my freeride and my DH MTB with Five Ten Sam Hill Edition shoes (can you tell I'm a fan :P haha) and that combination gives virtually no side-to-side movement. So from that point of view it's the same as being clipped in. But you don't get the rotational advantage of cleats.

But yeah... I guess if you want to be competitive on your road bike, you're gonna have to clip in!

Thanks patches.

I don't want to compete, just ride for fun and fitness, but it does sound like clipless is the way to go.

I still can't work out how you pedal on the way up tho.

I may just go for those Welgo's on my MTB tho.

Any idea where I can get a poster of Sam Hill for my bedroom wall? :lol:

LOL I was seriosly thinking about those.

I had on my first "racer" as a kid 25 years ago.

Found a pair for sale for R20!

Should I dive in? LOL

If you don't, tell me where! C'mon, look at these works of sculpture. A little eccentricity is never a bad thing, but then I'm a biased loon.

post-14151-0-63692200-1295960447.jpg