SA Active Website

Lucky Luke.

I noticed SA Active have a new free service where you can claim your vitality points for events. I've signed up and tried claiming points but the site is such a mess (to put it politely) that

• I cannot work out whether my one past claim has been successful

• cannot find either of the two road races (Cobra and Drukpers) I want to claim points for - is anyone using this site / able to add road races?

• the site is unresponsive - It's quicker to complain about it here than to actually soldier through the process of submitting claims

• the site has been put together by a developer without a shred of a clue about usability.

Generally speaking it is an absolute abortion, seems broken, is slow as treacle and is completely devoid of design integrity or anything approaching usability.

Is Discovery paying these clowns to provide this service? Well I hope so, and I also hope they read this thread and light a fire under SA Active's ass.

Add to this my frustration at having a Polar CS 200 with the retarded ZX Spectrum audio data transfer, which will not upload my training data to my macintosh. Admittedly this is a separate issue which will probably never be resolved. Thank you Polar. Guess what? Quite a few people have macs outside of Finland, so how about you buy an iMac and do some testing?

As it stands today, I am training and racing on average 14 hours a week, but in Vitality terms I might as well be spending my life on the couch.

FML

Oh, in case anyone needs the url, it's here: www.sa-active.co.za

Edited by Luke.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed SA Active have a new free service where you can claim your vitality points for events. I've signed up and tried claiming points but the site is such a mess (to put it politely) that

It's not new, but it has been changed this year (and every year.) It has been crap since the beginning.

• I cannot work out whether my one past claim has been successful

This used to be easy. You can also check discovery.co.za (when it's successful -- takes a few weeks.)

• cannot find either of the two road races (Cobra and Drukpers) I want to claim points for - is anyone using this site / able to add road races?

You used to be able to add races. There's a form you fill in with race details (name, distance, etc.) and race organiser contact details (website, telephone,...) and then you add your own race. The site is too slow for me to find the link for you.

Generally speaking it is an absolute abortion, seems broken, is slow as treacle and is completely devoid of design integrity or anything approaching usability.

This been a problem since the beginning.

Is Discovery paying these clowns to provide this service? Well I hope so, and I also hope they read this thread and light a fire under SA Active's ass.

I'd rather think that they are paying disco. I can't believe anyone would pay them.

Add to this my frustration at having a Polar CS 200 with the retarded ZX Spectrum audio data transfer, which will not upload my training data to my macintosh. Admittedly this is a separate issue which will probably never be resolved. Thank you Polar. Guess what? Quite a few people have macs outside of Finland, so how about you buy an iMac and do some testing?

I feel your pain (and don't use Polar products anymore) Polar got large, and decided to do everything custom to lock out competitors. They don't support ANT+, they don't use normal USB, they didn't use standard IrDA, and they didn't publish any specs, so you couldn't get to the data yourself.

Garmin did it right for the Edge series:

• stock standard USB stick (copy and paste files)
  • file format published (old XML and new FIT)

They started messing around on the new products, though. The 310XT uses some weird way to download data. It uses the same ANT+ stick as the previous gen, but the stuff isn't published, so I just get a binary blob. Maybe they are getting too big too.

Soon both will be replaced by iPhone and Android ANT+ enabled phones. iPhone ANT+ available now. Android ANT+ samples are there. The writing is on the wall. At least Garmin has a plan for the phones.

Thanks Barend, interesting what you say about Garmin... often considered switching. Whatever I get I'll make sure I do the research first to make sure I can get the data off the new device.

Ant+ enabled iPhones - definitely a cool concept and only needing one device would be great - but I don't fancy riding around with my iPhone mounted on the front of my bike.. I don't think it would last very long.

Luke, I think you unleashed the masses on the SA-Active website... It has now become SA-Inactive. Hot dang it is incredibly slow!

Luke, I think you unleashed the masses on the SA-Active website... It has now become SA-Inactive. Hot dang it is incredibly slow!

No mate it is incredibly slow 24-7 - I was trying to use it at 4.30 this morning - hardly rush hour on the SA web.

It also never used to be free... I remember having to pay to be able to earn discovery points for doing races...

The polar web thing is free though. I have no problem connecting with my S625X and the standard infra red port on my laptop.

To get back on topic though. the site is rather rubbish, and could do with a bit more user friendliness.

Found this regarding the CS200. Not sure if it'll help at all...

If the data transfer has worked previously and you have not changed any settings in your computer then the problem might be caused by low battery level in your CS200. Even if there is not yet low battery symbol shown in the product display the low voltage may affect to the data transfer. If the battery of your CS200 have not been changed recently, it might be worth to have it replaced.

I know that sometimes a soundcard driver can cause the problems, but I wouldn't know if you can even change these on a MAC.

Luke, I also battled last night

The problem is that there are two sites - the old one with last years details and the new one with this years details.

I was registered last year and could not log in, it kept kicking me out not recognizing my username and password.

Gave them a call and they told me to register Again as a new user from the home page!

That solved the problem! That way you will log into this years site (dont ask me how you know which is which!)

Both races are there, named Boland Drupers and Cape Cobra!

It may be a bit confusing, but I dont mind cause we are now getting those points for FREE :clap:

No mate it is incredibly slow 24-7 - I was trying to use it at 4.30 this morning - hardly rush hour on the SA web.

hahahaha,forgot to had a hahahahahaha. wow its horrid! is it not run by guvunment?

Found this regarding the CS200. Not sure if it'll help at all...

I know that sometimes a soundcard driver can cause the problems, but I wouldn't know if you can even change these on a MAC.

Ok I had problems with this to, but on Windows.

1) a laptop mic does not work!!

2) your polar must be very close to the mic

3) get a proper mic

4) it has to be super quite.

5) try mic boost on and of.

6) you must have lady luck on your side

If you comply with all these it should work 3/10 times :blush:

That is why I gave up vitality! Discovery Health are trying to make money from us thru stupid programmes or other companies.....

:blink: This service on SA-active is for FREE :blink:

Your Vitality checkups twice a year is FREE (ok paid by the medical aid, but no money leaves your pocket)

Some people are getting between R1000 and R3000 back per month, you obviously did not know how to work the system!

If you stay on Blue, that is of no use!

Dont quite understand your point, Discovery offers you discounts by shopping at partner stores - YOU PAY LESS than what you normally would, so how is that a bad thing or how are they making more money from you when you are paying less?

Your Vitality checkups twice a year is FREE (ok paid by the medical aid, but no money leaves your pocket)

Some people are getting between R1000 and R3000 back per month, you obviously did not know how to work the system!

Dont quite understand your point, Discovery offers you discounts by shopping at partner stores - YOU PAY LESS than what you normally would, so how is that a bad thing or how are they making more money from you when you are paying less?

Checkups are great, and the points from going to gym are nice, healthy food card is a good benefit too.. but that is where it ends for me. I must be losing out on thousands and thousands of points because of my crappy bike computer and this stupid site that I have yet to get a result from.

Tank, you say there are two sites, what is the url for the correct site? Thanks

So what do I have to do to maximize my familys points then?

I signed up for medical savings now this year and I am led to believe that if your buy healthyfoods and if the money goes onto your MS you can get up to 75% back compared to like 12 or something when it goes into your card.

Obviously the above does work out better if your points are maxed out.

So whats the secret then man?

Share some tips :)