Singlespeed Rear Hub

EigerSA

I'm looking at buying new wheelset, and after looking at the hubs on crc am very confused. I'm keen to get a singlespeed specific rear hub, but what one? And I notice most of the ss hubs come with 10/12/14t cogs! I'm wanting 16/18/20 or thereabouts. Also would prefer not to have to mess around with loose ball bearings when servicing. I would love to get hands on chris king hubs, but they way over my budget, any suggestions? Oh and I'm participating in the hub weight loss challenge so I think 36h is in order :D

These appeal to me big time but a) not in the the budget and B) don't actually understand anything in the description!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/59125.jpg

Chub Single Rear Hub

These appeal to me big time but a) not in the the budget and B) don't actually understand anything in the description!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/59125.jpg

Chub Single Rear Hub

EISH bruvver.

While they look the schweetest they got threaded chainwheel. Sounds like big bucks add-ons needed.

I bought a WTB Lazerdisk Single Duty hub a while back, granted it was on sale for R600... but I have never looked back. Came with 16t cog but that has been replaced with an 18t.

I am really impressed with the hub, haven't had to service it since I have had it (Around 2 years) and it is still smooth and running well. In fact, I think it has now bedded in quite nicely.

Call Oluf at Crosstown Cycles in Kenilworth, Cape Town 021 761 0112 and ask his 5c...dude knows his kit.

Got a SS specific DMR Revolver which you thread your ss freewheel onto, not too pricy and looks the business. I believe the benefit is meant to be that your wheel isn't dished so should be stronger.

Yip thats correct, also allows for an effectively wider hub (flange to flange) again making the overall wheel somewhat stronger

Edited by MoreTrails

Gday everyone, i am new to building up wheel sets from rims and hubs, i was wondering what are some good hubs, rims, spokes etc that run well together.

I have been given a b43 and a deep V and want a good quality flip flop hub to run either on. any help would be of great assistance cheers......

Spokes - Stainless steel straight gauge Sapin spokes are normally cheapest, double butted anodised black DT Swiss spokes are normally most expensive. There are various trains of thought at to which is better, stronger. The DT's generally are lighter and have bragging rights.

Use brass nipples (yes I said the N word) as opposed to alloy. They may only come in shiny silver but are stronger in general.

Rims - DT Swiss, Mavic, Nuke Proof all make great rims. Personally I have Mavic 819 (tooooobless ready) and DT Ex500 (Thats the new number for the old 5.1D) rims and both are great. The DT is a little softer though. Stans are also awesome rims. If you are on a budget then Alex rims have been known to take a pounding and still keep going. Just bear in mind your rolling mass to keep the wheels light and responsive.

I think Whyte industries do a flip flop hub. If I am correct then they are awesome hubs, last forever. I did bump into a dude with a Rohloff internal gear hub the other day...the thing only needs servicing every 20000km's!!!!! Thats awesome!!!

Hubs - where does one start. Well at the top - Chris King or Industry 9. But if that breaks the bank then Hope Hubs all the way! Check out CRC for wheel build specials. I am using Novatec at the moment and I must say I am seriously impressed. Nuke Proof, DT Swiss, DMR all make decent hubs. They are loads to choose from so a bit of homework on your part I am afraid

Happy building