Am I expecting too much...?

Li Mu Bai

Oops! Just not true. Cables will live equally long if they're tensioned or slackened. They don't elongate from repeated use nor from being left in tension on a bike. This is an old myth that just keeps on cropping up. 

JB

I don't agree perse' date=' just about anything used to drive with tension. Such as cable actuation, will stretch.

Granted cable wear when in use is higher than that when left in tension.

Perhaps newer cables today hold their lifespan better though.

I'm not knocking your view, just saying I don't agree 100%, so back away from the multi-tool Wink
[/quote']

OK, before I get flamed for being too stern, lets start with a few smileys:  SmileTongueWink

Is that enough?  OK, although steel is elastic and therefore it can stretch, there is no lever long enough on a bike or on your body that can stretch the steel beyond the point where it takes a permanent set. This point is called "yield". Just to clarify, steel stretches elastically up to yield, then it sets permanently, then it stretches elastically again, then it yields again and breaks.

The little bit of tension produced by gear levers and brake levers don't take brake cables or gear cables into and beyond yield. Steel cable technology is about 100 years old, very mature and stable. Steel cables such as those used on brakes and gears don't stretch nor unwind and therefore remain exactly the same length for the duration of their working life.

You allude to cable wear. This does happen. The steel inner cable does wear down in some applicatons but not in modern bicycle cable lined with a teflon sleeve.

Further, when cables are not used (but still under tension), they don't wear.

Chains also don't stretch. More importantly, leaving the bike in a high or low gear makes no difference. The only tension on a bike' chain when not ridden is from the weight of the chain and RD spring tension - negligible in the scheme of things where steel starts to stretch.

You may not agree 100% with me but I'm less ambivalent. I disagree 100% with you.

JB

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, no need to be more or less ambivalent.

As to the point of the chain, I never said anything of the chain stretching at all.

You do this for a living in the industry, whilst I work in a different industy. So while I may not agree, it's only with a pinch of salt that I disagree.

Sarcasm aside, thanks for the in explanation though, it does clarify a few things.

My rant for the day.

Took my mtb in for a major service to a nearby reputable bike shop. Its been a year of hard racing' date=' 2 big mud races too, so it was high time to get my steed groomed.

Got the bike back 3 and a half days later - It hadn't even been washed! I took it in fairly clean but Asishove mud was still on the bike and wheels together with added greasy finger marks, and my chain hadn't even been lubed.

Is this fairly normal, I asked myself on Saturday afternoon as I cleaned away the grime and washed the tyres back to its sparkly show room self?

R280 to squeeze some grease into my BB, fork, and tighten one spoke... Ouch

time I learn't how to do my own servicing... any teachers out there?
[/quote']

That shop should not be allowed to do business any more....that sucks man.  I did a full service a short while back on a road bike and replaced one spoke, chain got lubed, bike washed and friendly great service....all for R189.00  VIVA MONTIES IN MOSSELBAY.

I also do believe that a clean bike is a fast bike, I am quite fastidious when it come to getting it sparkling (been thru many toothbrushes cleaning my cluster), thus I immediately noticed that they didn't bother with cleaning it at all after the hose spray and general wipe down I gave it after the Asishove.

I suppose it all comes down to being scared of the unknown and placing trust in the so called "experts". The sooner I get myself up to speed with all aspects of bike maintainence the less chance I will have of being dissapointed.

Will take some time to find 'the one' bikeshop.

Pity Mossels is soooo far away hahaha

I also do believe that a clean bike is a fast bike' date=' I am quite fastidious when it come to getting it sparkling (been thru many toothbrushes cleaning my cluster), thus I immediately noticed that they didn't bother with cleaning it at all after the hose spray and general wipe down I gave it after the Asishove.

I suppose it all comes down to being scared of the unknown and placing trust in the so called "experts". The sooner I get myself up to speed with all aspects of bike maintainence the less chance I will have of being dissapointed.

[/quote']

whereabouts in gauteng are you?

I also do believe that a clean bike is a fast bike' date=' I am quite fastidious when it come to getting it sparkling (been thru many toothbrushes cleaning my cluster), thus I immediately noticed that they didn't bother with cleaning it at all after the hose spray and general wipe down I gave it after the Asishove.

[/quote']

Kyalami/midrand. Wink

Hey Holly roller, when are we going for a ride?

[/quote']

Kyalami/midrand. Wink

sneakyLOLthis weekend is out, how's next sunday looking for you?

[/quote']

Kyalami/midrand. Wink

Big%20smile

Should be fine. let me know.

My rant for the day.

Took my mtb in for a major service to a nearby reputable bike shop. Its been a year of hard racing' date=' 2 big mud races too, so it was high time to get my steed groomed.

Got the bike back 3 and a half days later - It hadn't even been washed! I took it in fairly clean but Asishove mud was still on the bike and wheels together with added greasy finger marks, and my chain hadn't even been lubed.

Is this fairly normal, I asked myself on Saturday afternoon as I cleaned away the grime and washed the tyres back to its sparkly show room self?

R280 to squeeze some grease into my BB, fork, and tighten one spoke... [img']https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley18.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Ouch" />

?

time I learn't how to do my own servicing... any teachers out there?

I would suggest you get the DVD - The Definitive Guide to Bicycle Maintenance R150 Cycle LabBuffwhack2007-10-30 10:31:57

[/quote']

Kyalami/midrand. Wink

Big%20smile

must say, i feel a bit like a slutLOLi'm thinking about how to broach the subject with the owner of the lbs i work in that i'm thinking about buying anything other than the new giant trance x that he's been pushing me in the direction of. do you think i'll still have a saturday morning job?LOL

rude, i know, i know ...

it's just that i've bought every cool bike i've ever owned from the same guy for 12 years. i work with him on saturdays. i met him and his wife through their kids, who i've known since the days that me and delgado are getting all nostalgic about elsewhere here tonight. i look after his granddaughter from time to time. i've been away with him on riding trips. he's not an lbs owner. he's my buddy. not easy.CryCry

enough of the violins ... next sunday, you sayLOL  

[/quote']

Kyalami/midrand. Wink

Big%20smile

must say, i feel a bit like a slutLOLi'm thinking about how to broach the subject with the owner of the lbs i work in that i'm thinking about buying anything other than the new giant trance x that he's been pushing me in the direction of. do you think i'll still have a saturday morning job?LOL

Don't worry, as I say, it is no strings attached. Big%20smile

There is one solution, though, depending where the lbs is, tell him to stock Commencal. LOL

[/quote']

Kyalami/midrand. Wink

Big%20smile

Don't worry, as I say, it is no strings attached. Big%20smile

There is one solution, though, depending where the lbs is, tell him to stock Commencal. LOL

LOLLOLLOL

i would, but he's kinda heavily invested in giant