Chain Length

Palaeodom

Hi all,

Just wandering if chain length makes a difference to the performance of the bike in terms of shifting speed, efficiency of shifting, amount of load put on the chain. If the number of links is reduced does this mean the remainder will have more stress put through them for the same amount of power put through the pedals?

My chain is 104 links long, ten shorter than the chain come with. All gears are smooth to shift into, but wandering if a smaller number of links also shortens the life of the chain due to greater stress?

Any ideas?

Hi all,

Just wandering if chain length makes a difference to the performance of the bike in terms of shifting speed, efficiency of shifting, amount of load put on the chain. If the number of links is reduced does this mean the remainder will have more stress put through them for the same amount of power put through the pedals?

My chain is 104 links long, ten shorter than the chain come with. All gears are smooth to shift into, but wandering if a smaller number of links also shortens the life of the chain due to greater stress?

Any ideas?

Palaeodom

Yes and No.

Your chain length is dictated by your gear ratios and chain stay length.

The best method for setting chain length is to thread your chain over your large chainwheel (front) and large chainring (rear); without threading it through the derailleur, and then add one FULL link ie. one inner and one outer half link)

To check your chain length,assemble to normal through the rear DR and try shifting to the large/large combination, it should not lock up or bind.

Then place in the small/small combination (although in practice you would never ride in this combo!) The chain should not touch on itself at the point where the chain passes through the pulleys.

Rather start your adjustment with a longer chain, as it is easier to shorten than lengthen.

A WORN chain will affect performance and be able to snap easily.

A chain that is too long or short will give you shifting problems.

THAT (the little pearl about large chainring, large cog) is a cool bit of advice! The last chain I changed I reckoned I was 2 sets of arms short trying to measure the damn thing. Always could have just used the old one but am a bit slow on some days... :blush:

just don't yank anyone's chain...

if your girlfriend is in the lounge...then you know the chain is too long...

unchained melody...

alice in chains...

Palaeodom

Yes and No.

Your chain length is dictated by your gear ratios and chain stay length.

The best method for setting chain length is to thread your chain over your large chainwheel (front) and large chainring (rear); without threading it through the derailleur, and then add one FULL link ie. one inner and one outer half link)

To check your chain length,assemble to normal through the rear DR and try shifting to the large/large combination, it should not lock up or bind.

Then place in the small/small combination (although in practice you would never ride in this combo!) The chain should not touch on itself at the point where the chain passes through the pulleys.

Rather start your adjustment with a longer chain, as it is easier to shorten than lengthen.

A WORN chain will affect performance and be able to snap easily.

A chain that is too long or short will give you shifting problems.

What the Drongo said but here is a video

http://bicycletutor.com/calculate-chain-length/

My chain is 104 links long, ten shorter than the chain come with. All gears are smooth to shift into, but wandering if a smaller number of links also shortens the life of the chain due to greater stress?...

No really. For every extra link in your chain, your just taking < 0.9% longer for the chain to do a complete revolution and your only doing < 0.9% less wear per extra link.

So say you get 1500km on a 104 link chain , then a 114 chain link chain should give you 1644km to get to the same wear. But since there are so many other factors out their, this is just purley academic so don't worry. Just religiously measure and maintaine your chain.