WHICH SADDLE???

X-Man

Where do people get hold of saddles to test? I've been struggling with my Arione for a while, thinking something with a cut-out like the SI Kit Carbonio Flow might work better. But I'm hesitant to go spend that much on something that might not work. Do bike shops have "loan" saddles that you can test out for a couple of days?

Where do people get hold of saddles to test? I've been struggling with my Arione for a while, thinking something with a cut-out like the SI Kit Carbonio Flow might work better. But I'm hesitant to go spend that much on something that might not work. Do bike shops have "loan" saddles that you can test out for a couple of days?

I have seen Fizik test saddles (flouro orange or green) and some shops do San Marco, but I havent seen Selle Italia saddles available to test/loan.

Its an expensive 'trial and error' process otherwise.

Punt, I've seen both Fizik and Selle Italia loan saddles available "in the colony", but I see you're from up-state, so can't point you in a particular direction.

I have had a long, painful and expensive journey with saddles (and handlebars actually).

These are the saddles I have tried:

Bontrager racing carbon thing that came with trek madone 5.9 - crap saddle

Sportourer Gel flow - I stupidly thought that soft would be better, this thing made my whole but go numb after about 80km - very painful 94.7 last year.

Bontrager Inform R - decided on something more conventional, not too soft, not too expensive. was ok, but got bad numb nuts.

Specialized BG Phenom - Great saddle, still use it on my MTB, very comfy on the backside, but the cut-away is not effective at completely preventing numbness upfront.

Specialized Avatar - Similar to the phenom but not as comfortable, too much padding for me i think.

Specialized Toupe - Had high hopes, seemed like it was the right design for me - hated it, butt went numb almost instantly.

Selle Italia Turbomatic Team edition - Big cut-away, nice flat profile, also high hopes. Really didn't deliver. The butt area is so short and it's convex with a slipper leather so you really had to sit slap-bang on the spot or you slip off. Didn't like it.

Selle san marco SKN - Very highly rated saddle - looks awesome. Nice, but the back flairs up, so you end up sliding off your sit bones onto the perenial area.

...And the winner is...

Selle Italia SLR gel flow - I got the team edition and it's spanking good looking. My measurements put me on a 143 + , but even though this is a 130 it's perfect. VERY IMPORTANT - these things need to be broken in, they will not be comfortable for the first few hours. For me I knew it would be fine though because it was NORMAL discomfort like from sitting on something hard for too long - as opposed to numbness and nerve damage etc. etc. :)

The win with this saddle is that it's flat front-to-back, so you don't slip anywhere, if you move your but back it stays there, a bit forward - fine, so you can vary your position.

I love this saddle.

Edited by prisma

Specialized Phenom with hollow Cr-Mo rails. Had one on my Silverback, now on my Spezzie as well. love it!