Powder coating

shaunster

Hi Guys

Does any one know what to expect for a frame to be powder coated?? The bike is still in one piece at the moment, Its just some ideas to bling it up a little :blink:

Im either thinking of getting the frame sand blasted and then powder coated or just having it wrapped in vinyl, I do not intend on keeping the bike pristine for resale cos its just a raleigh and there to get abused as i start out!

Hi Guys

Does any one know what to expect for a frame to be powder coated?? The bike is still in one piece at the moment, Its just some ideas to bling it up a little :blink:

Im either thinking of getting the frame sand blasted and then powder coated or just having it wrapped in vinyl, I do not intend on keeping the bike pristine for resale cos its just a raleigh and there to get abused as i start out!

:thumbup: hahaha - sorry, I find humour in that.

Edited by ChainSuck

THere is a place in the eastrand JG Powder coaters - they did my frame and I can recommend them

What did it cost?

:thumbup: hahaha - sorry, I find humour in that.

Lol im not serious into riding yet so yeah to spend more would be pointless and im mainly using it to commute and then upgrade once i know my way around things :D

Caerus, there is a place in Pinetown, Safari Powdercoaters that did a gate for me. They charged R400 for everything, sandblasting and powdercoating so I think a bicycle frame will be cheaper than that.

What did it cost?

Hey Caerus,

Get hold of Vinesh at Coating Technologies in Pinetown (031) 705 1705. Just don't get the frame sand blasted as mentioned before as it is too destructive. My neighbour had his done recently and it came out great. I don't paint stuff anymore as it isn't worth it!

Wont a black powdercoated frame look funny with a sprayed black fork? :unsure:

Just spoke to Fazel at Custom Craft and he will sandblast my forks with a fine powder before spraying to remove any paint & clearcoat, doesnt damage the surface at all :clap:

Caerus, there is a place in Pinetown, Safari Powdercoaters that did a gate for me. They charged R400 for everything, sandblasting and powdercoating so I think a bicycle frame will be cheaper than that.

That seems pretty reasonable then,will look into that tomorrow - they have been recommended to me before :thumbup:

Powder coating doesnt look that decent all the time, they have good days and shocking days, Fazel from Custom Craft i can highly recommend, he painted some oakley frames for me and some hbs for me once his work is absolutely flawless. I recommend not to use shanco in Pinetown for powdercoating, work is not good at all very rough! shot

Powder coating doesnt look that decent all the time, they have good days and shocking days, Fazel from Custom Craft i can highly recommend, he painted some oakley frames for me and some hbs for me once his work is absolutely flawless. I recommend not to use shanco in Pinetown for powdercoating, work is not good at all very rough! shot

Oakley frame, as in sunglasses? If so, I need to redo my seeing glasses frame.

That seems pretty reasonable then,will look into that tomorrow - they have been recommended to me before :thumbup:

Latest frame with blasting and coating cost 170 at S P C.

Hardtail.

Just make sure that you either plate your BB (then it can go straight to coating)or put some old BB cups in the shell threads BEFORE blasting (but REMOVE before powdercoating and plate up), as the blaster is unable to avoid damaging the threads. Tape up any other protruding NB threads {brake post mounts etc} with a good layer of electrical tape. For blasting fill internal thread areas with prestick.

Acid dipping to remove paint is only really applicable if the surface is not already powdercoated.

NB! I do not recommend Powdercoating your fork lowers.

1. The internal bushings will be damaged in the curing ovens.

2. If the lowers are Magnesium they will be wrecked by same.

post-20304-0-46316300-1297408271.jpg

@CyclingCoachCoZA

Have not used Custom Craft before.

What Hubs did you have coated?

Can you provide contact details?

Shot

Thanks for the info,,will def get it done soon

matt white frame with gloss black shocks wouldnt look too bad :D

Any places near randburg??

Best start stripping! :P

@CyclingCoachCoZA

Have not used Custom Craft before.

What Hubs did you have coated?

Can you provide contact details?

Shot

Can get the details for Custom Craft this arvo for you, they are behind Good2Go in Pinetown in "gasoline alley"