How to Align disc brakes ?

Dean111

Hi

I have bought a new merida tfs 800D from linden cycles.

My disc brakes: shimano br m445.

The front disc does not sit perfectly between the pads

when i tighten the wheel, so it is not spinning free

Is there a way to adjust it can someone please help ?

really looks like an alignment issue of the caliper itself and not the pads ?

The rear disc i can see sits perfectly in the middle with no friction at all.

I'm considering taking the bike back for there are some paint chips on the frame, some derailuer scratches and the rims also have scratches. Man i paid good money for this bike and this is just not right :(

Sorry can't help with the alignment issue but I would recommend that you go back to Linden Cycles and tell them about your concerns, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help. Start with the main problems, i.e. alignment and work your way down to the minor issues/irritations.

If they aren't willing to help then come back on the Hub and tell us all about it.

Fair...?

Edited by Eraser

Loosen the Allen bolts holding the caliper, squeeze the brake lever so the caliper aligns itself and retighten the Allen bolts while still squeezing the lever. The caliper has got elongated mounting holes so it can slide and align itself with the disk.

Edited by Veloce

take off the caliper and fold and business card in half and put it over the rotor then tighten the caliper bots and rotate the wheel to get card out :thumbup: !

Veloce has the right method to align the calliper.

But seriously, you have to take the bike back to the shop. The scratches on a new bike that you paid good money for is unacceptable !

Loosen the Allen bolts holding the caliper, squeeze the brake lever so the caliper aligns itself and retighten the Allen bolts while still squeezing the lever. The caliper has got elongated mounting holes so it can slide and align itself with the disk.

I may be wrong but I thought this method only applied to Avid disc brakes? Shimano brakes require shims?

Thank you for the replies.

i loosened the caliper and was able to align the discs so they run freely, however now i found another thing that's bothering me. I see the discs

does not turn precicely true, as if they are slightly warped. very little but it's noticable. and the one slightly touches the disc pad.

I checked both front and rear discs and both have the slight wobble. Is this normal ? Should i take it back and get new wheels ? I'm just afraid the next set would have the same issue.

Regarding the paint chips on the frame i touched it up with some paint and am willing to live with it but it's going to bother me for a long time and i would've rather wanted a new bike without any chips.

Also one rim is badly scratched very short but quite deep, that wheel i will take back for a replacement.

Would they swop the bike out for another one ? I know they don't have any more Merida XL frames in stock at their branch, what do you guys think i should do ? Is there a Linden cycles member on this forum i can post my concerns to, they are all always so busy :( ?

Edited by Dean111

First make sure that the wheel is in straight before tightening the quick release. Make sure the bike is perfectly vertical when u tighten it, and gravity will do its job. then you can use Veloce's method and if its still rubbing just make minor adjustments by undoing one of the allen bolts and pushing the caliper so that u can see a gap between the pad and rotor.

One of the pistons could be overactive. If the pads(or pistons) aren't equal distances from the caliper then one piston will be overactive. to correct this, if the piston is clearly very overactive, take out the wheel and hold back the overactive pad with a (clean) screwdriver and pump the brake lever softly. you will see the pad that you aren't holding back come out and the over active piston stay in the same spot. this will equalize the amount of hydraulic fluid in each piston.

The problem is that when i look at the rotor/disc i can see it move/wobble between the pads, the wheels are in straight. i push them as far down i they can go then lock the wheel. I feel like wanting them to order me a new bike all together, i worked hard for that money and it just does not feel right.

I really don't like to fight for a replacement/refund i'm not that kind of person and have enough worries at work, i just wish they checked everything before handing over the bike, it's so busy there one can only look at the finer details at home which i did and discovered the problems then.

:(

Dean, take the bike back bru, they think you are a happy customer while you are not, dont let too much time pass.

I may be wrong but I thought this method only applied to Avid disc brakes? Shimano brakes require shims?

No. Avid have cup washers that centre when you loosen and tighten. Shimano have slotted mount holes.

You usually need to shim if you have rotor/caliper/adapter incompatability.

Thank you for the replies.

i loosened the caliper and was able to align the discs so they run freely, however now i found another thing that's bothering me. I see the discs

does not turn precicely true, as if they are slightly warped. very little but it's noticable. and the one slightly touches the disc pad.

I checked both front and rear discs and both have the slight wobble. Is this normal ? Should i take it back and get new wheels ? I'm just afraid the next set would have the same issue.

Regarding the paint chips on the frame i touched it up with some paint and am willing to live with it but it's going to bother me for a long time and i would've rather wanted a new bike without any chips.

Also one rim is badly scratched very short but quite deep, that wheel i will take back for a replacement.

Would they swop the bike out for another one ? I know they don't have any more Merida XL frames in stock at their branch, what do you guys think i should do ? Is there a Linden cycles member on this forum i can post my concerns to, they are all always so busy :( ?

Dude.

If you bought it new, take it back and discuss with them. You shouldn't have touched up the chips though.That means a frame swop is out.

Rotors can be realigned. Brakes setup on most bikes are out from LBS anyway, largely because most just throw them together out the box (NOT ALL, but most).

If the rim is new and was damaged in the shop they should replace it.None of your problems relate to a bad bike, just a bad build.

Wheel it in. Don't let it bother you. It was your hard earned cash - tell them that.

Hi tdrongo

The paint i used was of an old school project (those cheap paint used for painting on paper i just could'nt stand looking at those chips and had to do something now! so lucky me it

washed right off. I almost went and bought some quality spray paint and do the job properly.

I spoke to them today and they said they would replace the bike, so far so good, will report back once i have the new bike. The discs still move very slightly but i don't like it, hopefully the new bike's discs would be precise.

Thanks