Events

Paul Cluver Amphi Bike Park opens to the public

· By Press Office · 27 comments

Finally the moment that all 2013 FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) riders have been waiting for, the spectacular Amphi Bike Park at Paul Cluver will officially open its doors to the public on Saturday, 15 February 2014.

ccs-41808-0-73662700-1392108431.jpg

Image credit: Cherie Vale / NEWSPORT MEDIA

“A key FNB W2W MTB passion is to create and maintain MTB Trails that are scenic, safe and adventurous,” says Johan Kriegler, FNB W2W MTB Director. “It is a passion that has evolved to include Cape Trails, the best trail builders in the country. We are also fortunate to have landowners that also share this passion. Recently the Cluver family of the Paul Cluver Wine Estate has partnered with us, to build one of the most exciting MTB trail projects in South Africa, the Paul Cluver and FNB W2W MTB Bike Park, situated in the Amphitheatre at Paul Cluver. Dr Cluver always had a passion for wood work and creative ideas. He co-opted Anton Potgieter, who is well known for his eco-bridges in South Africa, to oversee the construction of the Pedal Power Association (PPA) swing, Raka, Slangpark, the resurrection of Pofadder and Witklippieskloof”.

“Starting in 2000, the Amphitheatre was a way to combine arts and culture with our wines,” says Dr Paul Cluver. “The setting of the forest Amphitheatre lends itself to the creation of a unique bike park. It was a hidden gem just waiting to be unlocked. The Amphi Bike Park will probably never be completed as it’s a work in progress. The FNB W2W is an amazing MTB event. Not only does it test the riders, but it also takes them through some of the most beautiful natural environment of our country. We look forward to welcoming riders to the Amphi Bike Park in 2014”.

The unique bridges at Paul Cluver Wine Estate have been elected as one of the design projects for the international World Design Capital Cape Town 2014. Adding to its uniqueness is the alien wood (blue gum, black wattle and black wood) that was used in construction of these magnificent bridges. The alien trees in the amphitheatre were replaced by indigenous trees.

Participants of the 10`3 FNB W2W MTB Events donated R20 000 towards this project.

BIKE PARK SECTIONS:

The bike park has three sections. All three sections start and finish at the same spot, within the Amphitheatre.

7km MTB Loop: includes Ball Wall, Raka, Kransvoel, Ark, Cobra, Mamba and Skaapsteker and consists of 17 bridges, varying in distance from 2metres to 40meteres and 1metre to 8metre in height.

1km technical play park: also known as Slang Park, this route includes unique drops, climbs, jumps, horizontal tree riding and a see-saw.

30km(Red) and 35km (Black): An option to extend the 7km MTB Loop, to include the Paul

Cluver and Thandi Trails.

OPENING DATES AND TIMES:

DATES: Saturday, 15 February 2014 – Saturday, 31 May 2014

DATES: Monday, 01 September 2014 – Sunday, 31 May 2015

TIMES: 07:00 – 19:00

DAILY ENTRY FEE (PPA Members): R30.00 (or an annual fee of R300.00)

DAILY ENTRY FEE (Non PPA Members): R50.00 (or an annual fee of R500.00)

Comments

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Feb 11, 2014, 9:29 AM

Yosssis!!!! Another place to ride!! NICE!

R3SL

Feb 11, 2014, 7:28 PM

It really is AWESOME to ride.

ThePubSA

Feb 11, 2014, 8:57 PM

JHB sucks !! =/

DJR

Feb 12, 2014, 6:35 AM

Looks great, I'll have to make the time to go and buy some wine there for the wife :clap:

Surv0MTB

Feb 12, 2014, 6:42 AM

Lekka ride through Paul cluver with a pork belly finisher at Thandi

Surv0MTB

Feb 12, 2014, 6:42 AM

Think im going there this weekend!

Mr X

Feb 12, 2014, 6:49 AM

Im there!

Guest dirkieuys

Feb 12, 2014, 2:53 PM

What is the level of fitness required for these trails

Surv0MTB

Feb 12, 2014, 6:10 PM

my wife was very unfit, took about 4 hours, otherwise its not a hard ride at all, I dont think. Intermediate definitely.

camelman

Mar 14, 2014, 4:43 AM

Just did the Paul Cluver trail yesterday. Did the bulk of the black(except the part around the top dam) and then ended up on the Thandi loop by accident. Funny thing is, huge parts of the Thandi loop are in dire need of repair or trail maintenance. And I can see a huge amount of money has been pumped into it with specially cut trails. It also seems that no one is riding the Thandi trails as I only saw a lone bike track here and there. Granted some of the Thandi trails are a little exposed (ups and downs) and need a confident, skilled biker, but why is it not being ridden.

IMHO linking Thandi and Paul Cluver is by far a more enjoyable and technical ride than Oak Vally, yet it seems it is not being used much. I know Oak Valley is privately owned and Paul Cluver/Thandi falls under the PPA, but it seems the trails do not get the same amount of attention that the Hemel and Aarde trails get here in Hermanus. Anyone know why?

Gideondv

Mar 14, 2014, 5:44 PM

Going there tomorrow. Do we start at the Thandi farm stall??

milky4130

Mar 14, 2014, 9:17 PM

Going there tomorrow. Do we start at the Thandi farm stall??

yes or at Paul Cluver of you follow all arrows you'll end up doing both. Security guard will issue a temp board for the day at Paul Cluver gate, at Thandi you'll have to go into the restaurant.
milky4130

Mar 14, 2014, 9:24 PM

Just did the Paul Cluver trail yesterday. Did the bulk of the black(except the part around the top dam) and then ended up on the Thandi loop by accident. Funny thing is, huge parts of the Thandi loop are in dire need of repair or trail maintenance. And I can see a huge amount of money has been pumped into it with specially cut trails. It also seems that no one is riding the Thandi trails as I only saw a lone bike track here and there. Granted some of the Thandi trails are a little exposed (ups and downs) and need a confident, skilled biker, but why is it not being ridden.

IMHO linking Thandi and Paul Cluver is by far a more enjoyable and technical ride than Oak Vally, yet it seems it is not being used much. I know Oak Valley is privately owned and Paul Cluver/Thandi falls under the PPA, but it seems the trails do not get the same amount of attention that the Hemel and Aarde trails get here in Hermanus. Anyone know why?

i was thinking the exact same thing on the opening day of the amphitheatre bike park when we did the full black loop. The reason I don't go there often is because of the distance to travel. 140km round trip. I reckon it just needs a couple of race days to keep the trails alive again.
BlinkFan

May 12, 2014, 9:49 AM

I posted this in another thread too...

Bit of a rant coming up...

A friend and myself set out for Paul Cluver yesterday morning since we've only heard good things about the trails. When we got there we paid our R50 permit (which seemed on the high side, but whatever). We drove up to the electric gate at the top, only to find it closed. The guard gave us no code to the PIN pad, and the buzzer also didn't work. We then drove down to the guard again only for him to inform us that he doesn't have the remote or the code for the gate?? He then phoned someone which would come and open the gate. About 5mins later, he comes back to us and tells us the guy isn't coming with the remote, but he found another remote. But he is not allowed to give it to us. We then ask him if he has the contact details of anyone else that administers the trails. He did not.

I don't really blame the security guard. He's only been working there two days and the owners or organizers should have better prepared him. They should also have thought about who will open the freaking trails in the morning in the first place.

Bit of a let down and not the ideal bike date :wacko: . We had to "settle" for Oakvalley. Luckily a good alternative. Guess I'll have to wait for W2W before riding there...

Kranky

May 12, 2014, 10:04 AM

BlinkFan, where was the closed gate? Before you get to the buildings or after turning right at the buildings?

BlinkFan

May 12, 2014, 11:34 AM

BlinkFan, where was the closed gate? Before you get to the buildings or after turning right at the buildings?

When I got to the top where the buildings are we went right (according to the signage) and then into a closed black electric gate.

milky4130

May 12, 2014, 11:43 AM

When I got to the top where the buildings are we went right (according to the signage) and then into a closed black electric gate.

im afraid you might have gotten lost as at no point in my countless times I've been there, ever encounter closed gates or electric fencing, so sorry your day out was spoiled.
milky4130

May 12, 2014, 11:47 AM

So there are 2 entry points, via Pail Cluver or carry on further another 1km or 2 on the N2 to Thandi-Paul Cluver & start from the farm stall there. If entering at the PC then you follow the tar road between the Kromco Apple factory, cross the railway line, you get to the PC security boom. Where you make payment there & get issued your temp bike board for the day.

BlinkFan

May 12, 2014, 11:51 AM

im afraid you might have gotten lost as at no point in my countless times I've been there, ever encounter closed gates or electric fencing, so sorry your day out was spoiled.

I was just following the signage. And 50m before the gate there was a sign. Going straight up the road you get to a massive building with a sign to go right for MTB. ANd then about 50m later a close gate.

GPS coordinates for google maps: -34.169449, 19.087261

BlinkFan

May 12, 2014, 11:53 AM

So there are 2 entry points, via Pail Cluver or carry on further another 1km or 2 on the N2 to Thandi-Paul Cluver & start from the farm stall there. If entering at the PC then you follow the tar road between the Kromco Apple factory, cross the railway line, you get to the PC security boom. Where you make payment there & get issued your temp bike board for the day.

We were at the Paul Cluver entrance. Stopped at the boom and the guys gave us the permits. Then proceeded up to, where i presume, the restaurant is. And at the big buildings turned right.

BlinkFan

May 12, 2014, 11:56 AM

Thanks, will try the other entrance next time.

Kranky

May 12, 2014, 12:12 PM

The one and only time I ridden there, I parked at the buildings (before going right) and rode my bike to the closed gate. There is a path to the right of the gate going around it with a pedestrian gate you have to unlatch. Not sure if it's legit but that's how I got in, and out and I saw others doing the same.

milky4130

May 12, 2014, 1:15 PM

We were at the Paul Cluver entrance. Stopped at the boom and the guys gave us the permits. Then proceeded up to, where i presume, the restaurant is. And at the big buildings turned right.

ok sounds like you were at the right place then. It's just I never encountered that closed gate before hence it got me baffled that you might've been at the wrong place.
Dan Dob

May 12, 2014, 1:29 PM

There is a big black gate after the wine tasting, going down to the Amphitheatre, and it is usually closed. The few times I have been there, I park at the winetasting and pay for entries. The important part is to ask for the gate code because the ladies behind the counter don't give it to you as a matter of course! Then drive down to the gate, unlock it and park at the Amphiteatre and have fun!

There has been so much good work done there but some of the trails really need to be fine tuned and the 'skills park' needs some direction markers and fine tuning to make it safer. As it stands right now, I think it has some dangerous sections for begginners trying to improve their skills (mostly badly made berms and jumps and corners int he wrong places)

Add a comment

You must log in to comment