Events

Young South African, Kent Main joins Dimension Data Continental Team

· By Press Office · 14 comments

Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka are delighted to announce that 21-year-old South African, Kent Main will join our Continental Team, effective 1st April.

As our Dimension Data Continental Team prepare to relocate to our European base in Lucca, Italy, the squad has received a boost with the addition of Kent Main. Main who hails from Johannesburg, South Africa completes our Continental Team roster of 12 riders just ahead of our European season opening event, the 69th Trofeo Piva which takes place in Italy on 2nd April.

ccs-62657-0-25573300-1489758267.jpg

As the feeder team to our World Tour outfit, the Dimension Data Continental Team strives to develop the best young cycling talent on the African continent. Under the guidance of Nic White at Team RoadCover, Main has shown consistent improvement over the last few years which culminated in the biggest win of his career just last week, when he won the Tour of Good Hope.

Dimension Data Continental Team:
Joseph Areruya (Rwanda)
Getachew Atsbha (Ethiopia)
El Mehdi Chokri (Morocco)
Stefan de Bod (South Africa)
Nickolas Dlamini (South Africa)
Metkel Eyob (Eritrea)
Amanuel Gebreigzabhier (Eritrea)
Kent Main (South Africa)
Samuel Mugisha (Rwanda)
Junrey Navarra (Philippines)
Louis Visser (South Africa)
Hafetab Weldu (Ethiopia)

Kent is a talented South African U23 rider. We’ve been tracking his progress over the past couple of years and are pleased by his recent performances at the National Championships and BESTMED Tour of Good Hope. We look forward to supporting Kent’s further development within our professional team structure in Europe this season. The step up into the UCI European race level is substantial for all our young African talents. Our experienced and passionate support team position each rider for the best chance of success and realization of their “pro career” dream. We are thankful to our sponsors for their ongoing support of African Talent development through our Continental Team, and excited to have Kent on board.
Dr Carol Austin – Dimension Data Continental General Manager
I am very happy to have been given the opportunity to ride with the Dimension Data Continental Team. It has been a big goal of mine to make it into this team over the last year. I wanted to have good results at this year’s South African Championships and the Tour of Good Hope. So, the last few weeks have been quite crazy and the last few days completely overwhelming. It’s a good feeling to be joining such a professional set up like Dimension Data Continental and to ride for the Qhubeka initiative, well it’s honestly motivating. I’d like to thank all the guys at RoadCover and all my teammates for their support and showing me the ropes, even though I know I still have a lot to learn. I am hoping to make the most of this massive opportunity and grow from strength to strength.
Kent Main – Rider
At RoadCover we try to create an environment for riders to progress to the best of their abilities but we can only take them so far here in South Africa. With riders like Louis Meintjes and Ryan Gibbons both having benefited from our structures, it’s exciting for us to have Kent Main given this opportunity as well. It shows that what we are doing is working. Kent is a good young rider who has shown promise in the hills but he still has a lot to learn, we hope this stepping stone will give him the opportunity to learn, grow and progress in cycling. Our hope now is that we can have more riders come through our ranks so that we can give them the opportunity to move forward.
Nic White – RoadCover Team Manager

Comments

Gen

Mar 17, 2017, 1:45 PM

I love news like this.. great stuff

Jurgens Smit

Mar 17, 2017, 2:10 PM

He def deserves it, his performance at ToGH was very impressive

Ulle

Mar 17, 2017, 2:54 PM

He's a very good prospect, well done!   What about Willie Smit?

gtr1

Mar 17, 2017, 4:36 PM

Maybe Willie burnt some bridges.

Cylon

Mar 17, 2017, 5:26 PM

Very chuffed for Kent. He's a great talent. Hope Willie also gets his chance.

milky4130

Mar 17, 2017, 5:53 PM

Maybe Willie burnt some bridges.

mmm please do tell me more.

I was honestly hoping Willie would get called up to Di Data but you seem to know more than I do on the subject?

Mongoose!

Mar 17, 2017, 6:30 PM

Yes. Happy for Kent, but what about Willie?

xcd

Mar 18, 2017, 6:51 AM

Willie is definitely a good prospect.

how old is Willie ?

slickandtyred

Mar 18, 2017, 12:25 PM

Well done Kent. Many hard hours put in to finally get the break he deserves.

CatchMeIfYouCan

Mar 18, 2017, 12:41 PM

Willie is definitely a good prospect.

how old is Willie ?

He is 24, turning 25 at the end of this year. 

I vaguely recall that he had a stint with MTN Qhubeka previously. Might be mistaken however. 

Well done Kent! 

rpedro

Mar 21, 2017, 6:43 PM

Yes why not Will Smit?

pe3nguin

Mar 26, 2017, 1:02 PM

A lot of love here for Willie, which is understandable. But at what point do we start discussing the possibility of Brendon Davids making the step up. He is racing like a champ this year in RoadCover colours.

Jurgens Smit

Mar 26, 2017, 1:13 PM

A lot of love here for Willie, which is understandable. But at what point do we start discussing the possibility of Brendon Davids making the step up. He is racing like a champ this year in RoadCover colours.

I don't know how old Davids is, but I think the issue is most of the feeder teams are looking for u23 talent.

andydude

Mar 26, 2017, 5:10 PM

I don't know how old Davids is, but I think the issue is most of the feeder teams are looking for u23 talent.

He's 23

Add a comment

You must log in to comment