The result and an audit of the votes
If you were following the voting the winner announcement may be somewhat of a surprise. After the voting closed on Friday we did a quick run through votes to ensure no foul play. In the process we discovered a few suspect votes. Upon further investigation we found no less than 34 fraudulent votes. I.e. where one individual used more than one account to cast a vote. This of course had a significant impact on the outcomes of the vote.
As at 12pm on Friday the top 5 were as follows:
- 09 May 2014: Wits Wall Riding, the best playground in JHB - 66 votes
- 25 May 2014: Between The tapes - 63 votes
- 01 May 2014: Rail or Fail - 41 votes
- 19 May 2014: Greg Minnaar on the rocks - 37 votes
- 22 May 2014: Max the Weimaraner and Single Track! - 35 votes
After removing the duplicate votes the final standing looked like this:
- 25 May 2014: Between The tapes - 56 votes
- 09 May 2014: Wits Wall Riding, the best playground in JHB - 35 votes
- 19 May 2014: Greg Minnaar on the rocks - 33 votes
- 22 May 2014: Max the Weimaraner and Single Track! - 33 votes
- 01 May 2014: Rail or Fail - 29 votes
While there were one or two chance takers voting more than once (people with existing duplicate accounts for business / personal use), there was one individual who racked up 30 fake votes. We're still investigating and connecting the final dots, but will make an announcement regarding further action soon.
Moving ahead we're rethinking our approach to the competition. Unfortunately the public vote is open to manipulation, whether that be in the form of fake votes or simply a case of who can rally the most support.
At this stage we're looking at an independent panel of 5-10 judges to select a monthly winner. However I'd appreciate any comments in this regard.