Entry level Touring Bike

JulesV

I used my Bianchi road bike (on 700x25) on all my tours before it was bike-jacked, with the advantage then was that they were all made of steel, which was great for relative comfort. I would probably not take carbon because of how carefully airport staff handle them. I took my steel Ritchey to Mauritius, and am planning to take it on a visit to Canada in June.

In essence, steel in my opinion is best for touring, with alloy second best. You're bound to get some bargains on some nice steel bikes (pricey new), but if you must go new, maybe go for an entry-level cyclocross bike. More and more seem to be making their way into our LBSs! They tend to have threads for panniers and sometimes even a third bottle cage, and are more than likely up to handling being fully laden.

There are so many pannier options that you're bound to find one to fit, with an equally impressive array of bags out there.

Depending on how fit and strong you are, you may want to change your gearing. I am generally happy with my 52/42 11-25, and have traversed the Massif Central range with them (central France), fully laden. While I use Dura Ace, Tiagra is not bad and I've even seen Sora cope with the demands of poor maintenance schedules while out on tour, so I wouldn't be too fussy there. Make sure your wheels are up to the task though. Some of the racing wheels out there simply won't cope.

I used my Bianchi road bike (on 700x25) on all my tours before it was bike-jacked, with the advantage then was that they were all made of steel, which was great for relative comfort. I would probably not take carbon because of how carefully airport staff handle them. I took my steel Ritchey to Mauritius, and am planning to take it on a visit to Canada in June.

In essence, steel in my opinion is best for touring, with alloy second best. You're bound to get some bargains on some nice steel bikes (pricey new), but if you must go new, maybe go for an entry-level cyclocross bike. More and more seem to be making their way into our LBSs! They tend to have threads for panniers and sometimes even a third bottle cage, and are more than likely up to handling being fully laden.

There are so many pannier options that you're bound to find one to fit, with an equally impressive array of bags out there.

Depending on how fit and strong you are, you may want to change your gearing. I am generally happy with my 52/42 11-25, and have traversed the Massif Central range with them (central France), fully laden. While I use Dura Ace, Tiagra is not bad and I've even seen Sora cope with the demands of poor maintenance schedules while out on tour, so I wouldn't be too fussy there. Make sure your wheels are up to the task though. Some of the racing wheels out there simply won't cope.

Your trip to France sounds great - did you plan it yourself? Camping or fixed accomms? What sort of spares does one carry on a journey like that? I love the idea but tend to get caught up in the details hehe

My LBS has an old Cannondale steel bike with downshifters and very old Dura-Ace for R1k....I am so frigging tempted. That would be an awesome touring bike. :thumbup:

Obike has the Schwinn fastback cx cyclocross with 9sp tiagra for R5k. It will need some work to get the panniers working.

Your trip to France sounds great - did you plan it yourself? Camping or fixed accomms? What sort of spares does one carry on a journey like that? I love the idea but tend to get caught up in the details hehe

France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Mauritius, Canada (Quebec is awesome), Seychelles (lots by boat!) ... all impulsive 'ride-where-the-day-takes-you' kind of stuff. Detailed tour planning cramps me - sometimes a route looks much better going left than going right according to the dumb plan! The only plan I have is to be sure to get back to the airport by due date! There is normally a broad plan though, something along the lines of e.g. "Land in Brussels, cycle south to the Mediterrannean, go west to the Pyrenees, and back to Brussels via Paris". I have never made accomm bookings in advance, and have always found space, whether camping, B&B or hotels, even if it's just the next one along. It helps to read a bit of history in advance to identify places you might want to see en route. It's also handy to read other tour books and country books before you go - it really fires you up!

Spares - I fully service the bike myself before going - new cables, new chain, proper lube to limit the requirement for spares. Otherwise plenty of puncture kit, spare tubes, multi-tool plus pedal spanner, and a spare spoke or two. I would also recommend carrying the relevant chain link and derailleur hanger (where appropriate). Spares are plentiful in Europe anyway!

I have a spare cyclocross bike I'm thinking of selling if you're interested.

I like the sound of your planning lol perhaps its best to not think too much, jump in and make do with whatever arises - I doubt you can get into some serious life-threatening situations in Europe?

All this talk about steel bikes has triggered a memory of my dad's old Raleigh which should still be at home in the garage - maybe I can do something with that. If I look really hard I could probably find his old sheepskin seat cover to really pimp it out :D

PM me the cyclocross details please, definitely keen to have a look.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a fair bit of cycle-touring (karakoram Highway, round Ireland, Brisbane-Cairn, and Midnight Sun trip to Nord Cap.

I used a Cannondale Steel MTB, sorry that I sold it, was tough as nails.

General advice:

1. back of shoe can hit front of pannier - check shoe clearance before buying panniers - a common mistake. Better touring bikes have longer chain-stays, to give better sheo/pannier clearance.

2. Carrying spare spokes: shove 6 or so into an old wine cork, then put the cork up the seat post, and tape th ebottmo end of spokes to stop them rattling - they are then secure, out of sight ofr the unlikely event when you need them!

3. In africa; every village can weld/mend a steel bike, few can weld Alu, and fewer still can welc carbon fibre. Go Steel!

4. Carry a spare derailleur HANGER with you at all times - it's a tiny part, but VERY bike specific!

5. some cycle tourist like double sided pedals; one side cleat attachment, one side 'regular' old fashioned pedal type - gives you serious flexibility to use flip-flops in hot climes IF you want to, and to use any shoes if you break a cleat or the cycling shoe itself.

Good luck!

I'm looking to buy an entry level hybrid/touring bike. Will be adding panniers and loading with minimal camping gear for overnight trips so need something fairly sturdy. Found this http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ZA/bikes/model/escape.2/8336/46793/ Any advice from hubbers who have gone this route?

This bike seems good for the job. I see it has 450mm chainstays. 450mm is the maximum length they can be since that is how long the tubes are supplied fro the tube companies.

I can't see if it threaded fittings on the drop-outs for attaching a carrier and mudguards. As for the rest, I think it is as good as you'll get.