The advantages of a thuaxle over QR??

Palaeodom

I see a bunch of top riders running with thru axles instead of QR. what are the advantages?

With a pinch-a-salt - I also note though that a 'lot of top riders', and cricket, ruckby, tabletennis, Gholf players also wear those rubber bangle thingys. :thumbup:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So can one convert any fork to take a through axle? SID Race with American Classics, can they be converted? I'm running a pure XC rig so not realistically going to change as i don't think i hit drops hard enough to require the exra strength, but its handy to keep in touch with the possibilities of the through-axle and benefits. maybe on the next bike.

well... to my knowledge you won't be able to convert your fork to a thru axle system. However you may be able to convert your hubs. I'm not too clued up on the American Classics, but I know that certain front hubs can be switched bewteen QR and TA with a conversion kit. Hope Pro II's are one model that I can think of off hand

1.Yes it's big but for everyday riding 80 % of the riders do, it's negligible.

2.Not a "regressionist" at all, just too dumb to understand technology.

Which bike, the Fisher ?

1. True, true. Am not sure if the poster wants to save weight/be safer or has hopes that a thruaxle will propell him to 'top rider' level though.

2. Methinks ye be modest, although Big H thinks ye be a 'lurker'.

2a. Yes, the Fisher. You selling others?

well... to my knowledge you won't be able to convert your fork to a thru axle system. However you may be able to convert your hubs. I'm not too clued up on the American Classics, but I know that certain front hubs can be switched bewteen QR and TA with a conversion kit. Hope Pro II's are one model that I can think of off hand

Fork - NO, not unless it is specific. You can use regular skewers on a 15mm, with adapters.

Hubs - YES, some, but only sealed bearing not C&C.

1. True, true. Am not sure if the poster wants to save weight/be safer or has hopes that a thruaxle will propell him to 'top rider' level though.

2. Methinks ye be modest, although Big H thinks ye be a 'lurker'.

2a. Yes, the Fisher. You selling others?

Let's hope you are right :D

Yip, just follow the link in my signature.

Let's hope you are right :D

Yip, just follow the link in my signature.

Thought it would fly. Beaut piece - but then it is a Fisher.

So would it be wise to be using the super lightweight QR skewers? Sorry if slighty off topic. I'm looking at getting a new set of skewers, any advice?

So would it be wise to be using the super lightweight QR skewers? Sorry if slighty off topic. I'm looking at getting a new set of skewers, any advice?

***Hijack on***

Check the threads, there has been some discussion.

Basically, closed cam are safer than open cam.

The acorn teeth should pref be steel insert. The ali ones wear out too quick. No grip = no lock-up.

That said, if you want to bling your piece, check skewers often, and replace when worn or shady, then the choice is yours.

***Hijack off***

Edited by The Drongo

You can buy a conversion kit for the American Classic to go from QR to 15mm thru axle - I did it.

I'm guessing you can buy new lowers for your fork to accomodate the thru axle...would I do it? Hell no.

I did the conversion because the new bike I bought had the thru axle and I already had QR American Classics.

Converting from QR to Thru axlefor peformance benefits if you're a XC/Marathon racer is just silly.

Does having a 15mm thru axle make me a top rider? Woohoo!

So what about the rear? how is that converted to through-axle? I don't remember seeing a frame which is built for a TA?

So what about the rear? how is that converted to through-axle? I don't remember seeing a frame which is built for a TA?

Through Axle for rear is only really for downhill, freeride and dirt jump bikes.

Most frames built fo rear through axle will use the 12mm thru axle option. There are also 2 length variants in the 12mm TA, 135mm and 150mm. Most modern downhill bikes use a 12x150mm TA. This means getting a new hub.

For anything besides DH, FR and DJ, you probably won't find a 12mm TA option on the frame.

Here's what a 12x150mm TA spacing on a frame looks like:

http://www.t2bikes.com/images/izimu-red.jpg

thats quite a machine....looks like something from aliens the movie. just expect to see a browning 50.cal mounted to one end.

Guest Big H

A lot of the trough axle hype also enamated from the litigation mad American public. The Lawyer lips on skewer forks are a shining example. The has been reported cases of skewers shearing under the load of 180mm and larger disks. Some manufacturers also warn that disks larger than 160 mm should not be used when using skewers. As written elsewhere I know that Marzocchi offers or offered the service of supplying new lowers for their forks to accommodate a through axle. There was a discussion revolving around skewers and through axles on MTB Tandems on an international forum at the time we upgraded to disks on our Tandem. The concensus was that if you have an aggressive style of riding, a through axle would be better. We decided on good quality skewers as we will never in our life take part in aggressive mountain bike riding with our tandem. The tandem ws intended to take the hammering of bad quality African Roads and will most likely travel back to Nigeria with us when we return from our home leave in April.

The cost of upgrading to through axles is quite hig as it entails a new fork a new hub and most likely a whole new front wheel.